• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte - what do we know about him?

Page 82 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
JimmyFingers said:
But I thought he was going to go full genius and become the third Sky rider to win it in 3 years? I swear I read that somewhere, over and over again. I swear someone predicted he would win and the internet would burn. I must have been dreaming, like they were.

Sounds like you've downed a skinful and are waiting for your kebab then thought you'd post some Porte love.

Jimmy call a minicab & go home ;)

Catwhoorg said:
Richie makes a good 2nd to last man. The role he had for Wiggo (even then he had the one bad day in 2012 IIRC). (which incidentally I think is the limit of G's abilities in the high mountains)

Last man for Froome is a stretch for his abilities it seems. Nieve would be much better.

This was waay too much.

Eh?

Porte last year was potentially the second best climber in the world. Beat everyone in the world on Bonsacre while having his brakes on and trying to talk to them.

This year he has been ****. To say that his performance this year when he has been an average rider shows he can't compete for gts is sort of like saying that Cancellara is worse than Nibali at cobbles because he finished behind him on stage 5.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
just heard portal explain porte got sick going into the last climb.

JimmyFingers said:
But I thought he was going to go full genius and become the third Sky rider to win it in 3 years? I swear I read that somewhere, over and over again. I swear someone predicted he would win and the internet would burn.
wasn't a baseless prediction, was it?
sky have turned two donkeys into tdf winning racehorses already.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:
But I thought he was going to go full genius and become the third Sky rider to win it in 3 years? I swear I read that somewhere, over and over again. I swear someone predicted he would win and the internet would burn. I must have been dreaming, like they were.

Why would anyone make such a bizarre prediction?

Finally you and I are in agreement Jimmy. Porte is cleans.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
I have precisely zero love for Porte, but to have been reading here in the silly season he won as soon as Froome crashed.

And he got smashed today, not only by Nibali but by most of the GC hopefuls, the list was long.

Sky are exposed: Sean Yates was right when he said no-one there knows about racing, not least Brailsford. Whatever numbers Porte was putting out in training, and the enthusiastic endorsement of his BFF Froome was shown to be a sham today, and it was at the expense of form riders like Wiggins and Kennaugh. Such little racing in his legs, such a poor showing today.

As for illness, that is something people use when it suits their agenda. So now Porte was ill, that is why he post-restday demolition derby didn;t happen? Portal said it, Porte just said the heat got to him. The heat was the same for everyone, and he's an Aussie FFS, heat's not an excuse.

Human rider, poor form and illness all season, no magic remedy, just meh.

May 2, 2010
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:
I have precisely zero love for Porte, but to have been reading here in the silly season he won as soon as Froome crashed.

And he got smashed today, not only by Nibali but by most of the GC hopefuls, the list was long.

Sky are exposed: Sean Yates was right when he said no-one there knows about racing, not least Brailsford. Whatever numbers Porte was putting out in training, and the enthusiastic endorsement of his BFF Froome was shown to be a sham today, and it was at the expense of form riders like Wiggins and Kennaugh. Such little racing in his legs, such a poor showing today.

As for illness, that is something people use when it suits their agenda. So now Porte was ill, that is why he post-restday demolition derby didn;t happen? Portal said it, Porte just said the heat got to him. The heat was the same for everyone, and he's an Aussie FFS, heat's not an excuse.

Human rider, poor form and illness all season, no magic remedy, just meh.

He's from Tasmania. It's not exactly hot.

Anyway heat/illness etc. is usually just an excuse offered up by those without the legs.

thrawn said:
He's from Tasmania. It's not exactly hot.

Anyway heat/illness etc. is usually just an excuse offered up by those without the legs.

I watched some of those G.Thomas youTubes from the Tour.

It looks like they have no f%##% idea what they are doing. I think Froome may have been right. Brailsford is a chump. If you want to win at Sky you have to go it alone. God knows what Kerrison does.

Right now they need to let Nieve off the leash and let him hang with Nibali and maybe win a stage.

Porte was never going to win a GT in his life. And certainly won't now.

The Hitch said:
Eh?

Porte last year was potentially the second best climber in the world. Beat everyone in the world on Bonsacre while having his brakes on and trying to talk to them.

This year he has been ****. To say that his performance this year when he has been an average rider shows he can't compete for gts is sort of like saying that Cancellara is worse than Nibali at cobbles because he finished behind him on stage 5.

This.

Richie still hasn't had a great run at a GT yet (though yes, his very bad day in the TDF '13 is some evidence that he is not a three week leader, but not conclusive proof). His form and health has been very poor this season. So okay then, Nibali hasn't been great this season either, but his form was okay, and he was always finishing races, often not losing too much time. But for Richie we can't say that because he cracked yesterday that he has no chance to ever podium a grand tour.

And it was hot. Not that surprising.

He may even get the racing miles into his legs now that he needs...and go to the Vuelta.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Wouldn't Porte go back to supporting Froome at the Vuelta? and it isn't the start of the Vuelta pretty close to the end of the tour, not sure that with all his bad health etc that he has had that it would be wise to do back to back grand tours?

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
msjett said:
http://www.steephill.tv/players/720...hboard=tour-de-france&id=307853891533&yr=2014

Not sure if this video is geo-restricted but I love the wink he gives the journo...we will see what happens tomorrow....btw I watched it twice because I thought did he just wink at the journo after that comment or does he have a twitch...And no its not a conspiracy just thought it was funny...

Wow. He smiles like he just won the stage when warming down. Weird.

He said something into the mic as he drifted back off that group last night, and there was no urgency once he was dropped. None at all. Also seemed weird.

Whatever you say about his doping status or actual ability; having someone who looks that positive and upbeat must surely be great for morale?

Dear Wiggo said:

He said something into the mic as he drifted back off that group last night, and there was no urgency once he was dropped. None at all. Also seemed weird.

Whatever you say about his doping status or actual ability; having someone who looks that positive and upbeat must surely be great for morale?

He looks and acts like he's 12 years old. He appears to have a permanent smile on his face.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:

Yeah agree with what you say there DW...I just thought it was funny.

msjett said:
http://www.steephill.tv/players/720...hboard=tour-de-france&id=307853891533&yr=2014

Not sure if this video is geo-restricted but I love the wink he gives the journo...we will see what happens tomorrow....btw I watched it twice because I thought did he just wink at the journo after that comment or does he have a twitch...And no its not a conspiracy just thought it was funny...
Ya, I love the way he's so pleased with himself
when he slips in the Curtis Mayfield reference
because he knows its going right over every
one's head. Well played, Richie. :D:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh7ANTOQ2Rs

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
msjett said:

That right there, is why Porte will never win a GT and isn't a true winner. You know what a true winner does when something like today happens to them? They get mad and use that anger to win the next time.

Afrank said:
That right there, is why Porte will never win a GT and isn't a true winner. You know what a true winner does when something like today happens to them? They get mad and use that anger to win the next time.

Funny thing is, last year Porte was picking fights with everyone. He was very aggressive. Sounds to me has calmed down a lot along with his form going out the window.

Wonder what he stopped taking after his "sickness" battle. He's a very odd guy.

Perhaps SKY have been warned about their dominance or some hints dropped from BC. They have been around long enough to be exporting riders like Rogers plus a whispering campaign has been in operation for some time to which this forum contributes. Perhaps DB is trying to make the team more acceptable to the French. There are all sorts of reasons for these pan e acqua performances.

Afrank said:

Maybe Richie does not take himself as seriously as others ? Cockiness is not exactly a rare quality in sportsmen. Like he said, the sun will rise tomorrow. Life goes on. He did not make excuses like others do. Whether it was the heat or just a bad day it hardly matters now. Evans used to get angry after losing time and never seemed to help him much. He just got angrier until 2011 that is. And then a certain percentage of fans got angry about him !

buckle said:
Perhaps SKY have been warned about their dominance or some hints dropped from BC. They have been around long enough to be exporting riders like Rogers plus a whispering campaign has been in operation for some time to which this forum contributes. Perhaps DB is trying to make the team more acceptable to the French. There are all sorts of reasons for these pan e acqua performances.

Had Hein still been in charge, the performance this year would have been down to a group letter.

Even Vasil looks like grupetto fodder these days.

Reminds me of Sky '10.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Just playing along with the doping conspiracy theorists, I think what Porte's performance in last night's stage might show is that Froome was going to take either a lesser doping approach to this tour compared to last year or was going to take the same approach but had to compete against a super doped up Contador and Porte's performance in relative terms could reflect positively on proving this theory. :rolleyes:

darwin553 said:
Just playing along with the doping conspiracy theorists, I think what Porte's performance in last night's stage might show is that Froome was going to take either a lesser doping approach to this tour compared to last year or was going to take the same approach but had to compete against a super doped up Contador and Porte's performance in relative terms could reflect positively on proving this theory. :rolleyes:
Or perhaps Porte was just blindly copying Froome's performance at the Dauphine. ;)

article-0-0C7CBD8F00000578-884_306x432.jpg

I'm a bear of very little brain

TRENDING THREADS