• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rider of the year 2018

Who is the rider of the year 2018

• Chris Froome

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • Geraint Thomas

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Simon Yates

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • Alejandro Valverde

Votes: 27 25.2%
  • Tom Dumoulin

Votes: 22 20.6%
  • Vincenzo Nibali

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Niki Terpstra

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Peter Sagan

• Thibaut Pinot

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Other

• Total voters
For me it's

Froome>Yates>Thomas=Valverde>Pinot>Dumoulin=Nibali=Terpstra=Sagan

I guess after that it's Alaphilippe, Dennis and Roglic, then Jungels.

edit. Probably add Viviani and MAL to the group of Alaphilippe. Maybe Kwiatkowski as well

If Dumoulin had won one of his 2nd places, I'd definitely have put him on top, but I am a big nazi on muh big wins, so I can't put him higher than this. Overall I think most of them are very close though.

In terms of who made the biggest impression on me:
Valverde - He's been the rider I've most consistently cheered for in stage races this year along with Pinot.
Si Yates - His newfound superlevel in the mountains was a complete surprise to me, even after witnessing him almost winning Paris-Nice
Valgren - Breakthrough season and just all around great in every one day race he's participated in. One of very few who can win all monuments in the future.
Viviani - Best sprinter of the year. Did not see that coming, though his autumn season for Sky in 17 was solid.
Terpstra - Perhaps it's the way he won his races that really made an impression on me. Pure strength. I still dislike him very much, but his Flanders win gave him respect in my book.

In terms of results:
Valverde
Dumoulin
Thomas
Sagan
Froome

Re:

ecw445 said:
How is Valverde winning this? He won 2 vuelta stages and the WC, surely that's not enough to be the top rider
Pretty much.

Ofcourse he's top 5, nobody won 2 huge things, but basically he won the Worlds, 2 Vuelta stages, Catalunya, has a 2nd, a minor placing in the Vuelta and a bunch of micky mouse wins.

I don't see how Catalunya+FW+5th in Vuelta stands up to 3rd in the Tour after a Giro honestly.

Valverde. After having his career almost come to a end at the Tour in 2017, to come back and get 14 wins including the Worlds, Catalonia, and 2 Vuelta stages along with several other high placings including a podium at Fleche Wallone and a 5th overall at la Vuelta.

He also should win comeback rider of the year.

Reading some rankings I decided to revise mine (of course is absolutely non-objective :D ).
First, in such so close year, without any racer with multiple overall WT wins, what should be the base for the ranking? My suggestion:
1. GT wins
2. (if necessary GT podiums)
3. (if necessary GT stage wins)
4. GT multiple podiums
5. (if necessary) GT stage wins
6. Monuments & WCRR wins
7. (if necessary) WT multiple stages overall wins (and if..) WT 1 stage overall wins
8. (if necessary) Monuments & WCRR podiums (and if..) WT 1stage overall wins
9. WT multiple stages overall wins
If we are talking about “Rider of the year” total number of wins (including 2nd and 3rd class of races) shouldn’t be taken into account.

So we have:
1. Froome – (also 3rd at TdF)
2. S. Yates – (because of number of GT stage wins)
3. GT
4. Dumoulin – (2 x 2nd)
5. Lopez – (2 x 3rd)
6. Valverde – (WCRR + Abu Dhabi + Catalunya)
7-8. Sagan – (P-R + Gent)
Terpstra – (RVV + E3)
9. Nibali (MSR) – but was 2nd at Lombardia
10. Pinot (Lombardia) – stages at Vuelta
11. Jungels (LBL) – yes, the only one WT win…
12-13. Roglic - (Basque +Romandie)
Kwiatkowski - (Tirreno + TdP)

And I don't know how to rank Viviani.

Re:

Bot. Sky_Bot said:
Reading some rankings I decided to revise mine (of course is absolutely non-objective :D ).
First, in such so close year, without any racer with multiple overall WT wins, what should be the base for the ranking? My suggestion:
1. GT wins
2. (if necessary GT podiums)
3. (if necessary GT stage wins)
4. GT multiple podiums
5. (if necessary) GT stage wins
6. Monuments & WCRR wins
7. (if necessary) WT multiple stages overall wins (and if..) WT 1 stage overall wins
8. (if necessary) Monuments & WCRR podiums (and if..) WT 1stage overall wins
9. WT multiple stages overall wins
If we are talking about “Rider of the year” total number of wins (including 2nd and 3rd class of races) shouldn’t be taken into account.

So we have:
1. Froome – (also 3rd at TdF)
2. S. Yates – (because of number of GT stage wins)
3. GT
4. Dumoulin – (2 x 2nd)
5. Lopez – (2 x 3rd)
6. Valverde – (WCRR + Abu Dhabi + Catalunya)
7-8. Sagan – (P-R + Gent)
Terpstra – (RVV + E3)
9. Nibali (MSR) – but was 2nd at Lombardia
10. Pinot (Lombardia) – stages at Vuelta
11. Jungels (LBL) – yes, the only one WT win…
12-13. Roglic - (Basque +Romandie)
Kwiatkowski - (Tirreno + TdP)

And I don't know how to rank Viviani.
GT stage more important than a monument? Yes of course :rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS