• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rider of the Year

2010 Rider of the Year

• Rodriguez

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Cancellara
1st MaillotMundialCrono.PNG UCI Road World Championship Time Trial
1st Jersey red.svg Overall Tour of Oman
1st Paris–Roubaix
1st Ronde van Vlaanderen
1st E3 Prijs Vlaanderen
1st Prologue Tour de Suisse
1st Prologue Tour de France
1st Stage 19 (ITT) Tour de France

Held Maillot Jaune Jersey yellow.svg from Prologue - Stage 1 and Stage 3 - 7

Contador
* Volta ao Algarve
o Winner overall classification
o 1st, Stage 3
* Paris–Nice
o 1st, Stage 4
* Vuelta a Castilla y León
o Winner combination classification
o Winner Spanish rider classification
o 1st, Stage 4 (ITT)
* La Flèche Wallonne
o 3rd position
* Critérium du Dauphiné
o 2nd, overall classification
o 1st, Prologue (ITT)
o 1st, Stage 6
o Winner points classification
* Tour de France
o Winner overall classification ;)

Gilbert
1st Stage 3 Vuelta a España
1st Stage 19 Vuelta a España
1st Giro di Lombardia
1st Stage 1 Tour of Belgium
1st Amstel Gold Race
1st Giro del Piemonte
3rd Gent–Wevelgem
3rd Ronde van Vlaanderen
3rd Liège–Bastogne–Liège
5th Brabantse Pijl
6th La Flèche Wallonne
9th Milan – San Remo

A

Anonymous

The Hitch said:
You get 10 options. USE THEM. If people dont think Purito and Nibali and Cav and Freire were good enough then they wont vote for them.

+1 blah blah blah

i also think its too early for this poll with today fresh in peoples minds htere is a bit of girlbert mania in the air. Once people have actually had time to think they may make more thoughtfull decisions.

For me Cancellara.

People give Gilbert points that he won 2 stages in Vuelta and held the leaders jersey, forgetiing entirely that Cancellara did just this against tougher opposition in the TOur, AND was working for Andy.

Canc also won a stage in the TDS and held the leaders jersey there.

Gilbert won 1 monument to Cances 2.

And Cancellaras World TT win is worth a lot as well. Its not as big as a WC rr but about as big as a classic.

Cancellara won more on every count. Bigger classics. More prestigious gt stage wins and jerseys, a stage in a stage race and a World tt to boot. Gilbert produces every year and will probably have some seasons which make Cancellaras 2010 look crap.

But make no mistake about it, 2010 was Fabians year.

The Hitch said:
You get 10 options. USE THEM. If people dont think Purito and Nibali and Cav and Freire were good enough then they wont vote for them.

Yup, I voted 'other' because I think Rodriguez had a better season, all told, then those guys. And possibly Nibali as well. I'm not sure how Contador can even be up there, considering his TdF is likely going to be taken away.

Oops--sorry, guys. I just figured these three were the obvious choices, and any write-ins could be Other and vouched for in the voter's post. I guess this was a mistake, since Nibali is getting enough votes to warrant his inclusion.

Tips on editing polls? Can't seem to find the button to do so.

mr. tibbs said:
Oops--sorry, guys. I just figured these three were the obvious choices, and any write-ins could be Other and vouched for in the voter's post. I guess this was a mistake, since Nibali is getting enough votes to warrant his inclusion.

No can do. Maybe the mods can.

Otherwise let it be. i dont want to write my whole Canc v gilbert post again ;)

A

Anonymous

Cancellara.

His double was.... an awesome display.

I doubt we will see this very often.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Thor.
No, he didn't eat any Spanish Cows, and his toys are chain driven, not some some cordless battery bike.... all are worthy, but the guy was awesome....

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Cav deserves a nomination for his eight GT stage wins (+ 1 TTT) and his points jersey in Spain. He had plenty of other victories, as well.

Friere's Milan-San Remo and Paris-Tours deserve a lot of credit. Why is it that Oscar is rarely heralded or ridiculed on the forum?

That said, Cancellara's complete domination of the cobbled classics, solid GT time trial riding, and World TT gold make him the clear favorite in my opinion. Add to all of that his super-domestique riding for Schleck in the TdF that will possibly (probably) be rewarded by Schleck being declared the champion. The only thing people can say bad about him is that he might have had a motor in his bike (kind of a crazy accusation, really) and he negotiated a go-slow pact in the TdF that drew some criticism, mainly from Hoshovd.

I like Thor and think he is a worthy World Champion, but he didn't seem to mind Canc when he rode in his draft for the whole last hour on stage three to nab a sprint. If Canc hadn't shredded the pack with his efforts on the TdF cobbles Thor would have had a tougher time on that stage

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
The obvious choice is Cancellara. Perhaps his most impressive performance was ripping apart the peleton on stage 3 of the Tour. Riding Boonen off his wheel on the Muur was a close 2nd.

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Can't chose between Nibali or Canc leaning slightly towards Nibali. But both had super years and wouldn't be upset if either of them was rider of the year

mr. tibbs said:

Tibbs, you're a good contributor to the forum and those choices are all good; it's just a bit limited. I don't think there's a way to edit it, but at least it started discussion. For the record, of those 3 Canc is probably the winner, just 'cause the RvV-PR double is insane and the way he dominated it was even more so. Contador's TdF win, even without the drug taint, wasn't as convincing, and his P-N was only okay... Gilbert was strong, but not CRAZY strong like FC.