• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rider schedules and targets for 2023 (also rumours and opinions allowed)

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mikel Landa will target the Tour in 2023. His likely programme:

-Vuelta Andalucìa (possibly with participation in Volta Valenciana 2 weeks before)
-Tirreno Adriatico
-Itzulia Pais Vasco
-Ardennes Classics
-Tour de France

-Vuelta Andalucìa (possibly with participation in Volta Valenciana 2 weeks before)
-Tirreno Adriatico
-Itzulia Pais Vasco
-Ardennes Classics
-Tour de France

Makes sense for him this year. So Haig perhaps to the giro with Caruso?

Reactions: Sandisfan

-Tirreno Adriatico
-Itzulia Pais Vasco
-Ardennes Classics
-Tour de France

We'll finally have an Spanish Tour winner again!

Pello Bilbao will ride the tour and is especially motivated for the first stages in his hown region.

Other schedule:
Down Under, Cadel Evans Race, Strade, Itzulia, Ardennes Classics and later then tour.

Pello Bilbao will ride the tour and is especially motivated for the first stages in his hown region.

Other schedule:
Down Under, Cadel Evans Race, Strade, Itzulia, Ardennes Classics and later then tour.
Bilbao-Landa 2023, make Euskadi great again!:cool:

Haig already did a recon of some Giro mountain stages with Zambanini, I've heard rumours about him and Mäder going to the Giro. Imo I'd send Caruso with him instead of Mäder, but they probably think that Caruso can get another gt podium if he starts a gt as the 2nd option besides Landa;)

Interesting choice with Haig. I think he indicated quite often that he suffers in the cold. So for me sending him to the Giro is quite a gamble.

Hindley is eager to ride the Giro.

However, the route appears to be better suited for Vlasov, who is much better on TT, and the TdF route to Hindley, so let's see.
Still, if Thomas, Remco and perhaps even Roglic is participating in the Giro, I doubt that Vlasov would stand any chance against that trio. I would give Hindley a better chance even if there is more ITT than suited for him. He is just superior in the mountains compared to Vlasov. So the question for Bora is if they want to maximize their chances for a GT win in one GT (the Giro) or podium spots in both the Tour and the Giro?

I don't think Hindley stands a chance with healthy Remco, Thomas or Roglic anyways. He is going to ship loads of time on ITTs.

Best possible outcome for Bora is podium with Vlasov on Giro and Hindley on TdF, which is unlikely anyways.
Given that all three of those are in peak form in the mountains. But that is unlikely to happen. For Thomas and Roglic it is also worth to mention the age factor. There is no guarantee that a 37 year old Thomas and a 33 year old Roglic will have the same level as peak career. If I were Hindley, I would certainly have wished to do the Giro and not the Tour.

Still, if Thomas, Remco and perhaps even Roglic is participating in the Giro, I doubt that Vlasov would stand any chance against that trio. I would give Hindley a better chance even if there is more ITT than suited for him. He is just superior in the mountains compared to Vlasov. So the question for Bora is if they want to maximize their chances for a GT win in one GT (the Giro) or podium spots in both the Tour and the Giro?
From what I've seen so far Vlasov is good on steep climbs, but worse at high altitude. Again, maybe I'm speculating a bit, but from what I've seen he's usually better on steep climbs at lower altitude in the same stage race. Still, Hindley won't get a better Tour route than this one with a less hectic first week (no classic style stages in Northern France) and less kms of ITT.

TRENDING THREADS