• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

riders on team schleck

Connor Young said:
just read the most recent news on the new luxembourg team and it says that they have signed more than half their riders for next season

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/luxembourg-team-on-schedule-for-2011-debut

i know they are keeping it quiet but has anyone heard any knews about riders moving to the team? something must have got out :confused:

Not sure if its true or not but I heard they have signed Franks Shleck and Andy Shleck.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
not sure if its true or not but i heard they have signed franks shleck and andy shleck.

You were meant to keep that quiet until the 5th!!

[edit] ...but seriously though: so far I have seen the following linked to the team (*= not so sure).

The Schlecks
Stuart o'Grady
Jens Voigt
Jakob Fuglsang
Domenic Klemme
Linus Gerdemann
Fabian Wegmann
Robert Wagner
Brice Feillu*
Daniele Bennati*

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for that list by the way! Helps to clear some things up.
But there must be many more, as the sources say that more than half the team has been signed....and a team is at least 24, what Nygaard hinted at anyway. So that must be more than 12 guys!
I'm excited to know who's in the new team! :)

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
The real question will be this new team could match the new SBS??? I don't think so...

What will be his budget?
How many riders they will have?
They are taking too much time, aren't they??

thehog said:
Not sure if its true or not but I heard they have signed Franks Shleck and Andy Shleck.

nice;)

Regarding Canc, is he definately staying with Riis next year. I thought he and Shclecks got along real well and he was willing to go with them. Maybe he thinks that potential weakness in the team might sabotage his classics chances.

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
nice;)

Regarding Canc, is he definately staying with Riis next year. I thought he and Shclecks got along real well and he was willing to go with them. Maybe he thinks that potential weakness in the team might sabotage his classics chances.

I think he has another year left on his contract with Riis.

It seems less teams than expected are folding, right? Milram, and...? The Schlecks might find enough decent riders for their team, but I'm not sure they can find quality riders to fill a good, deep roster for both the classics and the GTs.

The Hitch said:
nice;)

If there's a team time trial next year with the dor and canc then the Shleck might as well stay home. They will smash it.

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure Canc gets along really well with the Schlecks but he wants to collect all the monuments and that means targeting LBL so I can't imagine he'd want to be on their team.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Maybe we can avoid fixating on Spartacus so much??, since there is really no news of him bolting from Saxo Bank, so far??? But in terms of the TTT in the upcoming TdF, Monfort, who was mentioned earlier, would be an excellent grab for Team Luxembourg, in that direction.
Right now Saxo/Sungard are looking sweet with Fabian, Gustav Larsson and Alberto heading the line up. All I can say is that they better be prepared to defend the Maillot Jaune for a long time next year, because the TTT is early, and it's not going to be good to give anything back, next year.
But I'm sure Team Luxembourg is going to have some top notch riders line up for the upcoming season. Funny, but we don't even know their main sponsor yet.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Ryaguas said:
What will be his budget?
They are taking too much time, aren't they??

Yeah I'm wondering about the budget as well, but I guess we'll know much more once the sponsor is known. I have a bad feeling it's not going to be enormous, but who knows. Theyre being so dang secretive about everything! But I guess that's due to UCI regulations and we'll hear all about it in September.

I've heard Johannes Fröhlinger and Kurt-Arsle Arvesen as potential candidates - Arvesen lived in Luxembourg during his Saxo days. Brian Holm of HTC has been linked as a potential DS. Another likely, yet less-known candidate is Luxembourg's Jempy Drucker IMO from Continental Team Differdange. He's been on the verge of turning pro a couple of times but never made it. He is hardly of any real significance though and will get his spot for the sake of being from Luxembourg. It'll be interesting to see whether both the Sorensens follow suit. C.A. lives in Luxembourg as well and has a Luxembourg license, but maybe Riis will let him have a real shot at the Giro or the Vuelta next year.

Interestingly enough, many of the riders linked to Team Luxembourg were invited to the Gala Tour de France criterium in Luxembourg City, such as Fuglsang, Fröhlinger, Wegmann and Monfort. So I wonder whether we can find other potential candidates among the participants. Here are some of the well-known ones where I don't know whether or not they have a contract for next season:

Stefano Garzelli
Rui Costa
Daniel Oss
Remi di Gregorio
Sebastien Minard
Christophe Kern
Tony Gallopin
Kevin Ista
Romain Zingle
Jonas Ljungblad
Matthieu Sprick
Johnny Hoogerland
Bobbie Traksel

Also participated but highly unlikely IMO:

Allessandro Ballan
Philippe Gilbert
Tony Martin
Sebastien Rosseler
Jimmy Casper

Also if BBox ends up having to fold (which would be too bad) then I could see part of their riders switching to the Schlecks, such as Tommy Voeckler for example.

roundabout said:
The Saxobank 2.0 is hardly an impressive classics team as things stand now.

Yup, well O'Grady and Breschel are gone anyways, I think the rest of their classics linee-up from this year is likely to stay though.

Link for the Brian Holm rumour: http://www.tageblatt.lu/index.php/sports/43842.html (in German)

Link for the Fröhlinger rumour: http://www.wort.lu/wort/web/sport/a...-luxemburg-team-vorrangig-deutsche-fahrer.php (German)

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Did I miss something?
Didn't you guys hear about some of the new recruits?
Daniele Bennati
Linus Gerdemann
Fabian Wegman
Brice Feillu
Maxine Monfort
Joost Posthuma
Robert Wagner
Along with the EX Saxo Boys: O'Grady, Voigt, Fuglsang, Klemme and soon to be Anders Lund and Lauren Didier.
Looking pretty good so far, but the Next Big Super Team?
Time will tell.:)

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
nowhereman said:
Did I miss something?
Didn't you guys hear about some of the new recruits?
Daniele Bennati
Linus Gerdemann
Fabian Wegman
Brice Feillu
Maxine Monfort
Joost Posthuma
Robert Wagner
Along with the EX Saxo Boys: O'Grady, Voigt, Fuglsang, Klemme and soon to be Anders Lund and Lauren Didier.
Looking pretty good so far, but the Next Big Super Team?
Time will tell.:)

Not a bad team, but far from a "Big Super Team". There are many teams, what are much better, when we just see the names.