Riders with Style & Panache

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 10, 2010
There have been a few posts with, hemmmm, a certain type of "Style", but I wouldn't call it Style, nor class.

Coppi is a good nominee for numero uno here. For style, I didn't like Pantani, and I don't like Ricco - I have to call that flash, not style. Of recent riders, Indurain should get a mention, as, I think, should Cipo. Cipo did things with flair, true, but he maintained a sense of style and panache throughout. Today, I'm impressed with Spartacus.

Mar 17, 2009
Barnaby said:
Always smooth

Style, dunno but panache oh yes

RdV & Luis Ocana - the best sideburns in cycling ever!

Mose I could never warm to. Too tall for my liking so looked out of proportion to me. Plus I was always a Fignon fan, so "we was robbed!!"

God, that last pic... three of my least favourite jerseys in the péloton. At least Skil are a likable team!

But surely... if we're talking about guys with style on the bike, one name springs to mind above all others...

Fernando Escartín.

His riding style was to cycling what Dan Brown is to literature.

Aug 28, 2010
Libertine Seguros said:
But surely... if we're talking about guys with style on the bike, one name springs to mind above all others...

Fernando Escartín.

His riding style was to cycling what Dan Brown is to literature.
Hopefully, yet unfortunately for Mr Escartin, you mean this in a derogatory sense. Although, I know people that consider Dan Brown to be a titan of the literary world.

Another rider who I feel has style, and some panache thrown in, is Ole Ritter. For the time he was riding, his time trial position was rarely matched, and seem to be a cut above others. Just watch the time trial scenes from Stars and Watercarriers to see.

(I don't have screencaps of the actual scenes, so an image from The Impossible Hour shall suffice)

Has anyone else noticed that style stopped being part of cycling in the mid 90s?

Jan 13, 2010
Regarding Ritter--after recently watching Stars and Watercarriers, I agree.

Felice Gimondi was and still is the epitome of class. And he has a gorgeous wife, too.

ASK THE COMMUNITY