Rigoberto Uran discussion thread.

Page 39 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Very good for him on the cobbles. He is not heavy and he has pain in his back and finally he finished 13th, better that the rest of GC contenders except Valverde, and nobody worked especially for him.

Important from here to mountains is not to crash again. He can do well in Bretagne as he did once already, and today Ettix showed they are one of the favourites ifor the TTT, but that in no so important.. important is no crash.

Froome is the stronger and Quintana is a better climber, but he got time on Purito and Nibali, so the podium is possible, althoug difficult, so many names: Contador, Van Garderen, Mollema, Bardet, Valverde,...

But today very good news he is not very affected by his crash
 
Mar 31, 2010
18,136
2
0
Re:

Escarabajo said:
I am glad he is Ok now. He was close to being dropped today. But apparently most were tired anyway because of the headwid.
he was never close to being dropped
 
Re:

Escarabajo said:
I am glad he is Ok now. He was close to being dropped today. But apparently most were tired anyway because of the headwid.
Lot of people was in a second group today some times, but he was always in the front group at the end, he was always close to Contador and sometimes to Froome and he finally finished better than them despite his injury and that there is not a rider in the team to be with him in this stages as Quintana has Castroviejo or even all the team.
 
Aug 16, 2013
7,619
1
0
You really expect Uran to fight for the podium? Top-10 i agree, but i reckon at least 5 riders stronger then him.
 
I am not as confident in Uran's consistency, but as far as I am concerned after the big four anybody can make it to top 5. I can tell you at least 10 names. No matter who. I am sure people would have laughed about Landa making the podium at the Giro.

Having said that, a crash or a crack in any of the big four and you only have 3 spots in the top three. So it is possible for anybody with good consistency to be close to the podium. Purito, Mollema, Pinot, Uran, TJ, Peraud, Barguil, Gesink. Heck any of those in the top 30 can give us a surprise. Experience tells me that you cannot discard anybody.
 
Aug 16, 2013
7,619
1
0
Re:

Escarabajo said:
I am not as confident in Uran's consistency, but as far as I am concerned after the big four anybody can make it to top 5. I can tell you at least 10 names. No matter who. I am sure people would have laughed about Landa making the podium at the Giro.

Having said that, a crash or a crack in any of the big four and you only have 3 spots in the top three. So it is possible for anybody with good consistency to be close to the podium. Purito, Mollema, Pinot, Uran, TJ, Peraud, Barguil, Gesink. Heck any of those in the top 30 can give us a surprise. Experience tells me that you cannot discard anybody.
I think Purito and TvG will be way better then Uran. I think the big four + those two riders will dominate the rest of the Tour.
 
Re: Re:

Arredondo said:
Escarabajo said:
I am not as confident in Uran's consistency, but as far as I am concerned after the big four anybody can make it to top 5. I can tell you at least 10 names. No matter who. I am sure people would have laughed about Landa making the podium at the Giro.

Having said that, a crash or a crack in any of the big four and you only have 3 spots in the top three. So it is possible for anybody with good consistency to be close to the podium. Purito, Mollema, Pinot, Uran, TJ, Peraud, Barguil, Gesink. Heck any of those in the top 30 can give us a surprise. Experience tells me that you cannot discard anybody.
I think Purito and TvG will be way better then Uran. I think the big four + those two riders will dominate the rest of the Tour.
I think I agree with both of you. I expect Purito and Tejay to be a notch above but wouldn't count out anyone on Escarabajo's list, particularly Pinot (6'30" would've been 2nd last year and just about 4th in 2013) and Mollema.

Uran hasn't looked too sharp this season, and I already stated that I think a top-5 would be a big ask, particularly since he's the only GC rider besides Contador that did the Giro. But after his 2014 time trial win, everyone seems to discount Uran's climbing legs. In 2013 he took 31secs on Nibali on Montasio, was a close third (and nearest GC rider) on Tre Cime (Nibali could only take 19 seconds even though he went away really early). In 2014 he and Quintana gapped the GC field (a field which included Aru, Majka, Rolland, Pozzovivo, Evans, Kelderman and Kiserlovski and up and comers like Vuillermoz, Landa and Geniez) on Zoncolan (another steep climb that supposedly doesn't suit him). Even this year he looked to be a bit sharper by the third week. If he isn't 100% for the Pyrenees it's all going to be moot, but I expect him to acquit himself well in the Alps.
 

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
964
0
0
You serious? The guy is freaking getting water bottles for his team mates in the flat stages. He's only here for stage wins, and he could probably get 1 or 2 if he's near Giro form (without illness).
 
rm7 said:
You serious? The guy is freaking getting water bottles for his team mates in the flat stages. He's only here for stage wins, and he could probably get 1 or 2 if he's near Giro form (without illness).
That's why he said if healthy.

If Uran was not at the Tour, Etixx would not even try to ride hard tomorrow because they would not have a chance at winning at all. They would just coast. So if they ride hard that would tell you something about what they think about their chances for GC.
Uran has been keeping separate from Cav's train. At least that's what I have seen.
 
Going by his previous GC performances, serious as a heart attack. Depends on what Giro form you are referring to. That may have been the initial plan but he's in a good GC position without doing much work. His DS seems to think he is a dark horse for GC.
 
Nov 26, 2012
3,216
0
0
Escarabajo said:
rm7 said:
You serious? The guy is freaking getting water bottles for his team mates in the flat stages. He's only here for stage wins, and he could probably get 1 or 2 if he's near Giro form (without illness).
That's why he said if healthy.

If Uran was not at the Tour, Etixx would not even try to ride hard tomorrow because they would not have a chance at winning at all. They would just coast. So if they ride hard that would tell you something about what they think about their chances for GC.
Uran has been keeping separate from Cav's train. At least that's what I have seen.
sorry, have to disagree on TTT.
TM is a big factor, a huge engine and a definite *TT winner. But remember that OPQS had won TTTs without having panzer in the past. Etixx's main problem is that they are one man short. they are going to lose 20-30 seconds. Just look at Giro TTT. Despite Iljo Keisse having a bad day and not contributing at all, the team(effectively reduced to 8) lost only 19 seconds.

EQS have been keen on getting some GC spots in GTs. if Uran carried bottle, it will be either: he was anyways talking in team car, or no one else was spare.

Uran will top-10 in GC despite doing Giro. He wont be explosive, but he will easily hang on to the leader group and not lose too much time.
 
I like his chances for a top-5, but don't follow him close enough to know just how good he is. He had a great Giro, more or less as good as Rolland, OK, slightly better, so I don't know if all the hype is justified, namely if he can have a strong three-week at this level and podium. But he rode smart and strong so far, I like his chances and look forward to seeing him starting on Tuesday. For now, TJVG and him are top-5 contenders: I don't think that all Big4 will make it to Paris.
 
Aug 9, 2009
505
0
0
I doubt his form. After all, he did the Giro and was sick for half of it. Still, if he didn't feel good he would be holding on to the other GC contenders on every stage. If he really only wanted to stage hunt then he would've laid back at some point and be a good 5 or 10 minutes back on GC already. At heart, he's a GC rider and he would rather be top 5 at the end than have a stage win. I think he will try as hard as he can to stay close to the podium, and he will only shift to stage hunting if he has a jour sans. Today we'll see if EQS have high GC hopes for him or not, depending on how they approach the TTT.
 
Mar 31, 2010
18,136
2
0
he's going for gc and he's leader of quickstep lefevere said few days ago in belgian tv. he's also not helping out cav at all. we will see how his form is
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY