• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rigoberto Uran discussion thread.

Page 52 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Escarabajo said:
The underrated Uran gets the leasts posts of all the favorites. He can still give the surprise.

He is riding a smart race and not wasting energy but he knows that he will have to attack later to position himself before the TT. Bardet and Aru both look good. Froome it's always hard to tell, one day he looks bad and then the next day strong.

Re:

gmedina said:
I wish Uran moved to a team where they'd put a decent team to help him out, the closest he got to a full support was a quick step during Giro. Wondering if he will stay at Cannondale next year.
Let's say that Uran come back to challenge the Tour. I cannot think of a better team after Sky to support him in the mountains. Few of them rode the Giro.

Re: Re:

Escarabajo said:
gmedina said:
I wish Uran moved to a team where they'd put a decent team to help him out, the closest he got to a full support was a quick step during Giro. Wondering if he will stay at Cannondale next year.
Let's say that Uran come back to challenge the Tour. I cannot think of a better team after Sky to support him in the mountains. Few of them rode the Giro.

Ok fair, but I would have hope Rolland and/or Talansky to be there for a bit longer, they are quality riders but got dropped fairly easy today.

Today was a very underrated yet important effort from Rigo. He got into position, made sure he wasn't going to let Froome gain the tiniest advantage and is six seconds closer to yellow as a result. He is creeping a little more everyday and no one seems to bat an eye. I'm starting to believe.

DNP-Old said:
Today was a very underrated yet important effort from Rigo. He got into position, made sure he wasn't going to let Froome gain the tiniest advantage and is six seconds closer to yellow as a result. He is creeping a little more everyday and no one seems to bat an eye. I'm starting to believe.
Bettiol was his best helper again, if i saw correctly. Rigo certainly can win this. He needs to attack in the mountains though, i don't think he can suddenly time trial like in his Quick Step days again.

movingtarget said:
Rolland rode the Giro while Talansky is very inconsistent. One day great next day dropped.
Rolland was one of the very first riders dropped yesterday and finished in the sprinters group. The Giro is no excuse for that. He simply doesn't want to work for Rigo.

Rigo is looking stronger than ever. With two big mountain stages to go, anything could happen, but I think 2nd place looks very doable at the moment. Winning outright is not out of the question either, but I think that would require Froome to have a really bad stage at this point.

He certainly looks Froome's equal in this Tour, and if he still had his ITT mojo, he might even be a favorite. Realistically though, he would need to go into the ITT with at least a 40s lead to have a chance, but stranger things have happened in cycling plenty of times before.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site

Cookster15 said:
SeriousSam said:
Managed to hold Froome's wheel today.

What a great story it would be if he can somehow ride into yellow and hold onto it

Uran is the dark horse, not many are talking about him. He was untouchable in the 2014 Giro TT, if he has rediscovered that form it could be very interesting!
His 2014 giro's performance (in the time trial) is way overrated... that time trial was very hilly and had zero time trialists. Froome and contador would have put a minute on uran

portugal11 said:
Cookster15 said:
SeriousSam said:

What a great story it would be if he can somehow ride into yellow and hold onto it

Uran is the dark horse, not many are talking about him. He was untouchable in the 2014 Giro TT, if he has rediscovered that form it could be very interesting!
His 2014 giro's performance (in the time trial) is way overrated... that time trial was very hilly and had zero time trialists. Froome and contador would have put a minute on uran
Sure, then we'll just have to get our hopes up because of this one. http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/Vuelta_a_Espana_2014_Stage_10_Borja

Cookster15 said:
SeriousSam said:

I'm certain it has more to do with materials rather than form. He has been climbing extremely well all year long, but his CRI's were crap. Ever since he left Quick-Step and their Specializeds, his CRI has been going downhill.

portugal11 said:
Cookster15 said:
SeriousSam said:

The 2014 Giro TT was not particularly hilly and even a declining Cadel Evans was a "time trialist". Uran won that TT by 1.17 from Ulissi and 1.34 from Evans. Quintana, the eventual Giro victor was at 2.14.

The question today is does Uran still have the ability to TT as he did then. Why not, in 2014 he was just 27 and logically improving at that age he is also climbing the best I have seen him since 2014 in a GT. But Rigoberto is now 30 and should be into his peak years physiologically. Froome is obviously not in 2013 form so he can be vulnerable.

DNP-Old said:
Cookster15 said:
SeriousSam said:

I'm certain it has more to do with materials rather than form. He has been climbing extremely well all year long, but his CRI's were crap. Ever since he left Quick-Step and their Specializeds, his CRI has been going downhill.

Thanks. Sorry for my ignorance but what is "CRI"? I did a quick google, that came up with a bunch of (I think) unrelated medical terms? If CRI relates to his bike or positioning I find it a bit hard to believe that a pro team would not make quick changes to equipment if this is the difference between Uran 2014 and Uran 2017?

TRENDING THREADS