• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rigoberto Uran discussion thread.

Couldnt find one of him, and didnt know where else to post this interview with him.

http://www.elpedaldefrodo.com/rigoberto-uran-sky/

Either way he deserves his.own thread by now.since he is rapidly making a place for.himself at the very top of the peloton and definately good enough to get his own team if he wanted it.

Basically talks about his career.from.first getting on a bike.to.the present. The races he won the injuries he had the teams he was with fellow.Colombians who are coming through, the usual.

Also the future his aims for this season- ardennes and world championships.
His career aim - to podium a grand tour.

Christian said:
Politically correct term these days is "discussion thread" I believe

As Walter Sobchuk would say: "Dude, appreciation thread is not the preferred nomenclature. Discussion thread, please."

On topic, interesting that he mentions the WC, he'll be one favourites there surely.

Zam_Olyas said:
Yea and maybe emma the former amici winner could sing it one day :D

On topic : Is he riding The Giro this year?

He is along with Henao on "slaving duties" for Wiggo...

Rigo should be given more freedom to aim for other races, because he's just winning the left overs of the season & what Sky Lords aren't interested in ...:mad:

Waterloo Sunrise said:
Sadly his career aim rather gives the game away. Was a very exciting talent a few years back, and has now matured in to a very good, but not great rider. Podium seems a sensible target if a weaker field comes along at some point.

Parrulo said:
anyway to be honest i expected uran to already be a top rider by now but he still hasn't delivered, the talent appears to be there but something must be missing

I think he took a big step forward this year and his best results will happen once he goes to a less stacked team. That said, he really seems to have blossomed at Sky.

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
i think long-term predictions concerning GCs (not only GCs) are difficult, anyways.

Who would have thought Contador would become the dominator he is after his 2005 Tour?
Or Froome, when you saw him at BArloworld.

On the other side, Fothen was predicted to be GC podium finisher and rides 2.2 races in his best GC age, nowadays.
Many people expected to dominate the GCs in the GTs for many years, after 2004.

And so on...

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
RHRH19861986 said:
i think long-term predictions concerning GCs (not only GCs) are difficult, anyways.

Who would have thought Contador would become the dominator he is after his 2005 Tour?

On the other side, Fothen was predicted to be GC podium finisher and rides 2.2 races in his best GC age, nowadays.

And so on...

Contador was talked about as a future star in those days, although more as a TTer who could climb that a dominant climber. (Was 2005 the year he was very good in the Pais Vasco?)

It's a valid point though.

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
will10 said:
Contador was talked about as a future star in those days, although more as a TTer who could climb that a dominant climber. (Was 2005 the year he was very good in the Pais Vasco?)

It's a valid point though.

Yes, you´re right, must have been the year when Di Luca won Pais Vasco.

I remember Saiz predicted AC as future Tour winner already in 2005, when there was quite a hype around Valverde.

BTW, in autumn of 2004, I thought Santi Perez might be a future GT winner :D Sorry, I´m getting OT.

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
It's good that he seems to be more focused on one-day races this year. That's where I think he could still make the step up in class, not in GTs.

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Duartista said:
It's good that he seems to be more focused on one-day races this year. That's where I think he could still make the step up in class, not in GTs.

I agree with this. He seems to have too many bad days in grand tours, and his TTing isn't quite strong enough, as far as I can see.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
RHRH19861986 said:
Yes, you´re right, must have been the year when Di Luca won Pais Vasco.

I remember Saiz predicted AC as future Tour winner already in 2005, when there was quite a hype around Valverde.

BTW, in autumn of 2004, I thought Santi Perez might be a future GT winner :D Sorry, I´m getting OT.

No reason not to think Santi was gonna win all three GTs in 2005, the way he rode the last week of that Vuelta....yikes.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
RHRH19861986 said:

And so on...
me and tons of others. he was always a MASSIVE talent

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Duartista said:

he has all the characteristics for doing great gc though. but he's not a winner, totally different from guys like henao or duarte, who are winners. they have a greater future.

TRENDING THREADS