• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rigoberto Uran discussion thread.

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Would Saxo Tinkoff be a good fit for Uran? He would bring points they need, and they are set up for GC. So long as he is prepared to go for the Giro or Vuelta instead of the Tour of course.....

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Morbius said:
Would Saxo Tinkoff be a good fit for Uran? He would bring points they need, and they are set up for GC. So long as he is prepared to go for the Giro or Vuelta instead of the Tour of course.....

Whoops :eek:

Jelantik said:
Nooooo.. not Quick Step!! He has to split the team with cav. And Cav won't be happy with less man for the train. Uran just goes from one problem (GC vs sprint at sky) to another problem. Same sprinter just different GC rider. De ja vu. Can he go to some other team? Uran deserves a good team to back him up 100% if he wants to contest 2014 TDF.

I'm afraid half a team and a free role is the best uran is going to get at world tour level. Especially if he commands a healthy wage. He is a good climber and a decent GC prospect but he's probably not a GT winner. Look at the riders who have a full team dedicated to them at this level, they are the worlds best riders. Uran is just not that good.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
it doesn't matter what uran gets or not in terms of help. EVERY gc rider and climber in quickstep got ruined, look now at brambilla. he climbs worse than cav

uphillstruggle said:
I'm afraid half a team and a free role is the best uran is going to get at world tour level. Especially if he commands a healthy wage. He is a good climber and a decent GC prospect but he's probably not a GT winner. Look at the riders who have a full team dedicated to them at this level, they are the worlds best riders. Uran is just not that good.

dunno, a guy like Fuglsang will get a full team to support him at TdF. Anyway good luck to Uran at OPQS.

Morbius said:

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

staubsauger said:
Thought he would get a free role, while the team supports Guardini!?

He will only get a free role until they sign another half decent rider next year and they will not be backing him like they do nibali. They will send people in breaks for stages because at best he will top ten. JVB shares the tour team with Gripel and he's much better than birdsong.

In OPQS Cavendish is guaranteed to get what he wants. Look at how he has salvaged the season for OPQS by his Giro wins inspite of colossal failure in the classics. Lefevere will rely on him to nullify any bad publicity. Uran is unproven. He will have to suck wheels of other contenders without support till he actually wins a GT or at least podiums in TDF.

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
hfer07 said:
Why the facepalm? Getting choice a of Giro or Vuelta is a lot better than he would get at Sky, and he would be way better supported at Saxo than with QS. He's more likely to win the Giro or Vuelta than the Tour anyway. Sure his agent says Uran wants to lead a team at the Tour, but that's just a negotiating position.

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Gloin22 said:
Can you read English? It's says in article ''Unlike Henao" :rolleyes:

And anyway, Ryo and even myself said in winter Uran would leave so not a big surprise... and not out of nothing...

Although we have our difference over if Henao leaves or not :cool:

Rather rude of you to question whether I can read English!

Do you think I get my information from press articles? It came from the horses mouth, not rumour or media speculation, which is why I specified the team and the suggested timing of the official announcement (post #33). If you can show me any press article specifying that Uran is going to OPQS that predates my post then I shall be astounded as the preliminary terms of the move were only agreed upon several days earlier.

I can assure you that both Uran and Henao had no idea where they were going last winter so your revelation then had no basis other than they are out of contract with Sky come the end of this year

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Morbius said:
Why the facepalm? Getting choice a of Giro or Vuelta is a lot better than he would get at Sky, and he would be way better supported at Saxo than with QS. He's more likely to win the Giro or Vuelta than the Tour anyway. Sure his agent says Uran wants to lead a team at the Tour, but that's just a negotiating position.

I should post another facepalm, but too lazy. I can't believe the **** I read sometimes here. the reaosn uran leaves sky has clealry gone past your head

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
I should post another facepalm, but too lazy. I can't believe the **** I read sometimes here. the reaosn uran leaves sky has clealry gone past your head
Huh?

Uran is apparently leaving Sky because he wants to lead a GT and Sky have three GT leaders already. Uran's agent says he wants to lead the Tour. Saxo can't offer him Tour leadership, but they can offer him one of the other two.

Surely full team support at the Giro from Saxo (even if not the best squad) is better for Uran than one dedicated helper from QS at the Tour with everyone else working on the flat stages for Cav. Plus Saxo need points so would make him a good offer (though that might be difficult due to budget).

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Morbius said:
Huh?

Uran is apparently leaving Sky because he wants to lead a GT and Sky have three GT leaders already. Uran's agent says he wants to lead the Tour. Saxo can't offer him Tour leadership, but they can offer him one of the other two.

Surely full team support at the Giro from Saxo (even if not the best squad) is better for Uran than one dedicated helper from QS at the Tour with everyone else working on the flat stages for Cav. Plus Saxo need points so would make him a good offer (though that might be difficult due to budget).

Mate, Uran will also be leading Vuelta for Sky along side Henao this year.

He wants to lead Tour, and Tour alone... and OPQS is giving him that. Not Saxo...

Plus OPQS can offer more $$$ to him than Saxobank.....

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Morbius said:
Huh?

wrong :rolleyes:

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Morbius said:
Very possibly. We are all speculating really. I just think his agent may not be telling us 100% gospel truth.

we aren't speculating about the reasons why he wants to leave. uran already stated he wants to be leader in the tour. you seem to be the only one who isn;t getting it. therefore you got facepalmed for mentioning saxo

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
If Uran stated it, then fair enough (though he could always change his mind between now and September). I've only seen his agent state it, which is not at all the same thing.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Gloin22 said:
Can you read English? It's says in article ''Unlike Henao" :rolleyes:

now, now.. you can't make this kind of comment. Remember this is international forum. And there are a lot of people who's english is their second language. Including me. I don't deny sometime I misunderstand people's comment or misspell word. But yet we are all commenting about one thing in common: 'cycling'. So let's not make comment about how good your english are, but let's celebrate the argument, the comment, the jokes, etc. etc. about nothing but cycling.

Back to topic. *face palm* if Uran decided to sign with QuickStep.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
It's nice to be right over Ryo about Colombians :D

( I've been saying Uran would leave, but Henao stay with Sky, while Ryo adamantly said both would leave this season ).

So far from the news, Henao is much liker to stay as I thought :)

About Uran's move. It's very .. hmm.. will be intresting. It might be an amazing move for him. Or very likely it could be a **** one. We'll have to see.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
I dont believe it.Henao won't stay there,only if he will be a leader for GT next year.And with Froomey,SBW and Richie******Porte its not possible I think.:eek:

He's been already given Vuelta GT lead this year :rolleyes:

Plus to that he's got guaranteed lead in Ardennes to that. Best training to improve as a rider etc. etc.etc.

TRENDING THREADS