• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rigoberto Uran discussion thread.

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Well Colombiaans are stupid then being all tribal what the hell as it got to do with Colombian's if Cav has an argument with one. You cant hold a grudge over a disagreement. Im sure if Cav would have known how unfortunate Soler has been he would not have done it.

TANK91 said:
Well Colombiaans are stupid then being all tribal what the hell as it got to do with Colombian's if Cav has an argument with one. You cant hold a grudge over a disagreement. Im sure if Cav would have known how unfortunate Soler has been he would not have done it.

Cav is known as an a**hole and he has been one to some Colombian riders. They hold a grudge because he is an a**hole, not because of some "tribal" thing.

Cav WROTE ON HIS BOOK that Colombians didn't know how to ride and specifically named SOLER as someone that shouldn't be allowed to ride. This is before Soler crashed and almost died, before he retired. Soler brought Uran to Caisse, he owned the apartment before Uran bought it where he roomed with Quintana and Henao. Soler was also supposed to guide Nairo along when he joined Movistar. Not sure how that's all "tribal", a word I'm sure you used on purpose with the indigenous context. It's brotherhood. These guys still visit Soler, they adore him. Nairo dedicated his wins for him, wore his medal during stage 20 at the tour, visited with him as do the other riders.

Uran has been very professional and didn't let that stop him from joining OPQS, but that doesn't stop Cav from being a ****.

It's just not Cav...Same goes for Fignon. Accusing colombians of taking cocaine, for buying races and for being lucky to beat him just to sell a book if very low class. Regadless on how he died, he was still an a**hole too.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
he didn't just insult soler, he punched him on the bike so hard soler crashed out of the gior. after stage cav wanted to fight again. also cav is supposedly racist towards certain colombian riders. or he was at least. he's not liked at all.
Wait, what? I did not know about this (maybe I forgot?). Is there video of cavendish crashing Soler?

gospina said:
Cav is known as an a**hole and he has been one to some Colombian riders. They hold a grudge because he is an a**hole, not because of some "tribal" thing.

Cav WROTE ON HIS BOOK that Colombians didn't know how to ride and specifically named SOLER as someone that shouldn't be allowed to ride. This is before Soler crashed and almost died, before he retired. Soler brought Uran to Caisse, he owned the apartment before Uran bought it where he roomed with Quintana and Henao. Soler was also supposed to guide Nairo along when he joined Movistar. Not sure how that's all "tribal", a word I'm sure you used on purpose with the indigenous context. It's brotherhood. These guys still visit Soler, they adore him. Nairo dedicated his wins for him, wore his medal during stage 20 at the tour, visited with him as do the other riders.

Uran has been very professional and didn't let that stop him from joining OPQS, but that doesn't stop Cav from being a ****.

It's just not Cav...Same goes for Fignon. Accusing colombians of taking cocaine, for buying races and for being lucky to beat him just to sell a book if very low class. Regadless on how he died, he was still an a**hole too.

Cav wrote that? Damn didn't know that. Acting in the heat of the moment is one thing, this is another... I quite liked him :(

Arnout said:
Cav wrote that? Damn didn't know that. Acting in the heat of the moment is one thing, this is another... I quite liked him :(

He said Mauricio Soler was one of those riders that shouldn't have been a professional and shouldn't be allowed to race. He then said that others that come from the same background, a result of bigger pelotons & internationalization were similar, that get in the way, couldn't handle bikes and were, in general, not liked by the peloton. Some Colombian riders feel he meant them, so here it begins. He also had complained that Sky wasn't giving him good lead out guys and that the lead outs were bad (as he always does). Those comments always seemed to happen when Uran & Henao were racing and did their part at the 25km to 10km section. This carried over to several races @Sky, ending with their visible frustration when Wiggo a) crashed, broke a bone and abandoned one year and b) crashed, gave up and made them lose time at the Giro the next. Some feel it all started with Cav.
Main reason I was so surprised he picked Omega Pharma. If you remember early in the year, Uran was signed as their tour leader. That ended quickly, shift to Giro. Compromise was Cav skipped the Giro for the first time in years.

Soler was probably one of the most complete riders out of Colombia. He was going to be the breakout rider at that tour, just before his crash @switzerland. He had a lot of bad luck. I know that Cav is a sprinter and has the personality of a sprinter, but a lot of riders still hold a grudge when Soler was named. Remember, just a few years ago, Soler was getting ALL the colombian WT points. Uran was the other one, with like 2 points. No one else was WT. Soler was the only one (Duque was with Cofidis and Ardila with Robobank/GEOX TMC, no points from either one). He was THE Colombian rider. All these other guys saw him as a big brother. Cav's book wasn't welcomed, like Fignon's book.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Soler had already arrived before the crash i really could not see him improving much more to be honest i am still sad about him to this day but imo these Colombians are just a notch above and their is no shame in that.

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
The guy looks very good at the moment, but, if I remember well, in every stage race he's had a bad day.
If it happens again, a fortunate fact is that the riders who could take the most of the situation are a couple and more minutes behind him. So it doesn't necessarily has to mean it's over if it repeats.

stutue

BANNED
Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
gospina said:
Cav is known as an a**hole

Yep. The greatest sprinter the world has ever seen, but unfortunately a bit of an a$$hat too.

Same goes for Fignon. Accusing colombians of taking cocaine, for buying races and for being lucky to beat him just to sell a book if very low class. Regadless on how he died, he was still an a**hole too.

Are you sure about this? I recall reading a Fignon quote where he talks about riding in Columbia and being so off his trumpet on Chan that he could barely pedal in a straight line. As for buying races, doesn't everyone?

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
SafeBet said:
No bad days last year in the Giro.
Unless you consider a bad day the Pescara stage when he had to wait for Wiggo.
I'm taking last year's Giro with considerable reserves due to the cancellations.
But you're mostly right, nevertheless.

stutue

BANNED
Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
stutue said:
Are you sure about this? I recall reading a Fignon quote where he talks about riding in Columbia and being so off his trumpet on Chan that he could barely pedal in a straight line. As for buying races, doesn't everyone?

Here we go..

http://m.cyclingnews.com/news/fignon-we-were-bribed-to-lose-87-vuelta

I'm not sure I disbelieve him about the paying off not to attack. Deals are done all the time. Don't see why it couldn't have happened in this case.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if Uran can go crazy aswell in the mountains. Full genius :D

Although pozzovivo prob is still a better climber. I've no clue how quintana will perform.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Miburo said:
I wonder if Uran can go crazy aswell in the mountains. Full genius :D

Although pozzovivo prob is still a better climber. I've no clue how quintana will perform.

I think he should push nairo to his limits this weekend,if not he will regret it.
vamos colombianos:)

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
uran was going to do the tour as leader. then cav got mad and as compromise uran was sent to giro only if cav wouldn't ride it. guess who feels good now and who doesn't of the 2? :eek:

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
uran was going to do the tour as leader. then cav got mad and as compromise uran was sent to giro only if cav wouldn't ride it. guess who feels good now and who doesn't of the 2? :eek:

I'm not sure part of the deal was cav wouldn't ride it though. It's likely Cav was tired from the Giro and for that reason wasn't at his full best at the Tour, only taking 2 stages and all. So might have been his preference to not ride the Giro this year and save it for the Tour.

Ryo Hazuki said:

I seem to remember that the team already planned at an early stage (january? december? certainly before the start of the season) to let Uran ride giro (+vuelta) and build a team around Cav to focus on the first tour stage (and the yellow jersey for that one day). But OPQS indeed bought Uran to act as tour leader on a longer term.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
rghysens said:
I seem to remember that the team already planned at an early stage (january? december? certainly before the start of the season) to let Uran ride giro (+vuelta) and build a team around Cav to focus on the first tour stage (and the yellow jersey for that one day). But OPQS indeed bought Uran to act as tour leader on a longer term.

well, how longer? If Cav is still at QuickStep, he'll be wanting to chase green jersey at TDF. So Uran will most likely to fight for GC at the Giro or Vuelta. He is 27 now? so he has 5 years before he runs out his prime form. Or he can freelance at TDF by himself, while the whole team is dedicated for cav.

Jelantik said:
well, how longer? If Cav is still at QuickStep, he'll be wanting to chase green jersey at TDF. So Uran will most likely to fight for GC at the Giro or Vuelta. He is 27 now? so he has 5 years before he runs out his prime form. Or he can freelance at TDF by himself, while the whole team is dedicated for cav.

With Kittel challenging Cavs dominance, Cav will need full sprinter team, so cant see how can share the team.

What is his contract length and which team should Uran go to to have best chance of Tour win?

Hugh

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
hughmoore said:
With Kittel challenging Cavs dominance, Cav will need full sprinter team, so cant see how can share the team.

What is his contract length and which team should Uran go to to have best chance of Tour win?

Hugh

Uran is signed with OPQS through 2015.

hughmoore said:

Hugh

Or with Kittel challenging Cavs dominance a full sprinters team can no longer be justified and Kittels team will eventually have to take greater responsibility in the breakaway chase, lightening the work load for OPQS. You could argue that OPQS should bring a few climbers to TdF15 to signal to the rest that they won't do all the work anymore.

I think it's a question of who's delivering the best results between now and the 2015 Tour, if Uran wins the Giro he might end up with a pretty strong team, but if he doesn't but Cav and Kittel fights to a draw, then he'll be like Evans on Lotto.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Yeah which of you want to say sorry now? After ridculing me for saying Uran was not ABLE to respond. But yes you were right this was all part of Uran's plan to lose bits of time:rolleyes:.

TRENDING THREADS