• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rio 2016 Olympic Road Race and Time Trial courses

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
So from cyclingweekly and Cronoescalada's twitter (I'm a little surprise no one discuss it here)

RR for man: 256.4 km
RR for woman: 130.3 km
TT length for man: 59.6 km
TT length for woman: 29.8 km

RR road map:
Road-Cycling_Road-Race2-e1418154988545.jpg

RR profile:
B4fSH0RCIAADJkA.png:large

Canoas/Vista Chinesa profile:
B4hoaIYCAAAyCX4.png:large

TT map:
Road-Cycling_Time-Trial1-e1418155073983.jpg

With pave and steep hill in Grumari Circuit (3 laps) and Vista Chinesa climb in Canoas Circuit (4 laps), the Road Race course is suitable for puncheur and climber.
Look like a hard course for RR, and a monster course for TT

Ferminal said:
Yeh it's great... Could be forgiven for thinking it will attract a boring Lombardia type race but in the middle of the season and small teams it could be a mad race.

I think it will be a good race really. The climbers can't wait too long else they are screwed they need a serious headstart and these are the Olympics so I'm sure there will be a hard race. Even in London the riders tried to make a hard race on a easy course so I'm confident.

Nice course, should give an open race.

coimbrawu said:
So from cyclingweekly and Cronoescalada's twitter (I'm a little surprise no one discuss it here)

RR for man: 256.4 km
RR for woman: 130.3 km
TT length for man: 59.6 km
TT length for woman: 29.8 km

RR road map:
Road-Cycling_Road-Race2-e1418154988545.jpg

RR profile:
B4fSH0RCIAADJkA.png:large

Canoas/Vista Chinesa profile:
B4hoaIYCAAAyCX4.png:large

TT map:
Road-Cycling_Time-Trial1-e1418155073983.jpg

With pave and steep hill in Grumari Circuit (3 laps) and Vista Chinesa climb in Canoas Circuit (4 laps), the Road Race course is suitable for puncheur and climber.
Look like a hard course for RR, and a monster course for TT

It is a perfect race.

I was watching yerterday the route in street view, and it is amazing.
The pave is 2,6 km long, and it is quite hard (just before the first little climb) it is a pity cant be in the last part of the race, but it is not possible.

There is as well an itsmus, where cross winds are likely.

The climbs are hard, and it will be very selective.

Landscape is really nice.

People as Nibali, Urán, Rui Costa, Kiatlowski, Daniel Martin, Mollema, Valverde and Purito if they are still strong,... are the favourites. Too hard for people as Gerrans or Gilbert.

Maybe too much flat at the end (and 10,5 kms pavé) for people as Quintana, Aru or Contador, but they have his chances.

Bavarianrider said:
Where is the profile for TT:confused:

It is the first circuit. A circuit with two small climbs, and a pavé section of 2,6 km. The first clims is about 1,2 km at 7 %, with 13 % max, and the second climb is about 2 km long but no so step.

One tour for women and ywo for men.

In addition, the Grumari Time Trial Course has also been confirmed by the UCI and Rio 2016 Organising Committee. The course, which is 29.8km long uses the Grumari Circuit of the road race that includes the 1.2km climb up Grumari Road will see the race start and finish in Tim Maia Square along Pontal Beach. The women will complete one lap and the men will complete two laps of the circuit. The Time Trial for men and women will take place on Wednesday August 10th.

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Taxus4a said:
I didnt realized about 5 man team, that could make for pave, wind and short climb to play a role and break the race from early in the race. Carnage.

Plus 75% Humidity. This will be insane.

60k for ITT is great. That's how it should always be.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Okay, so I live here these days. Raised my hand a couple years back to move from DC to Rio, and wil be here through the Games. I ride these roads every day (I live in the flat section in Barra da Tijuca just before the first Grumari ascent). In fact, I'm headed to Grota Funda tomorrow for an 80k out-and-back.

Some observations:

1. The pave is difficult, but certainly in better condition than the Hell of the North. It's uneven pave, but is VERY wide (3 cars wide) and lacks the killer potholes. I'll be interested if they try to improve it between now and then.

2. The climb to Grumari is wickedly uneven, several truly nasty pitches, but is super short. Road is HORRIBLE, but I'm sure the IOC will demand improvements. Awesome little restaurant at the top, where im headed tomorrow for some moqueca! Don't read this climb as 1.2K at 7%. Reality is that the last 400M probably vary up to 15%, with obvious switchbacks. Not a rhythmic climb.

3. descending after that climb, it's twisting, narrow, but manageable. They will then head through a little barrio, bringing the most excitement that area has probably ever seen.

4. The climb to Grota Funda is from the longer, but easier side. Either way, it will be a big-ring cruiser for these guys. Slightly twisty descent, but this will just be a softener. Read this exactly as it is. Not challenging for these guys.

5. They'll be in the vicinity of the Olympic Village (looks way behind schedule right now every weekend when we ride by!) during each loop of the Gru/Gro circuit.

6. Canoas. Canoas. WOW. I could not be more pumped!! Easily the most difficult of the "main road" climbs in the Rio area, IMO. There are much harder and nastier climbs around the city (cool cobbled 15-percenters in Santa Teresa come to mind). Starts hard, and has some nasty, long walls that probably pitch over 10%. Reminds me of a shorter version of the Col du Granon.

7. I then divide the climb into the Canoas piece and the Vista de Chinesa piece. VdC is a pretty mellow finish that follows the Canoas ascent and quick descent to VdC. DO NOT think of this climb as 8.5k/5.7%. Will ride MUCH more difficultly than that. Twisting, uneven, etc. very tough.

Lots more to say, but I'll close with this - I cannot think of a more perfect course. We've been PRAYING for this. I ran into a few USACycling suits a couple weeks back and was getting worried that the race might be headed to Teresopolis. Thankfully, they kept it right here. The view are going to be unbelievable. Such a mix of beachfront, mountains, and rainforest-y locale. Will be stunning. Weather here that time of year can be rotten. Rainy, windy, etc. the prevailing winds are not cross winds as this course is laid out. Will be a headwind out and a tailwind home.

What is so cool is that it is REALLY hard to figure out who should be a favorite, though I would equate it to a World's course. You can absolutely, 100% eliminate the pure sprinters, and the rouleurs. It will truly be a climber/puncheur course. The Canoas climb is such a bear. My initial thoughts are a Dan Martin/JRod/Valverde type, but you could just as easily say Contador, Talansky, Nibbles, etc.

Will be awesome. Sorry for the length.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Yeh it's great... Could be forgiven for thinking it will attract a boring Lombardia type race but in the middle of the season and small teams it could be a mad race.

Biggest difference between Lombardia and this is the nature of the climbs. Particularly Grumari and Canoas/VdC. Highly variable gradient, twisty, and unpredictable. Grota Fundo is very Lombardy-like, though.

The x-factor will be how much road improvement they will make. Folks, these roads are AWFUL, with the exception of the roads between the Gru/Gro circuit and Canoas. Super grippy, they feel like they steal 30w from you. Or maybe I'm just a fat sprinter. Either way, they're no fun. I run 25c GatorSkins on a Shimano R500 wheel set after blasting an R-Sys wheel on the GF climb a year ago.

search said:
the number of those has also been reduced, if I understand the qualification criteria correctly. Only the top 5 teams in WT ranking get 5 spots.

Bloody hell this will be epic. UK will pull from the start again to deliver Froome at the last climb lol!

Serious note, 5 man teams max will make this impossible to control and the big riders better be careful and pay attention early in the race because they will have to bring back the breakaway themselves at a certain moment.

53x11 in DC said:
Okay, so I live here these days. Raised my hand a couple years back to move from DC to Rio, and wil be here through the Games. I ride these roads every day (I live in the flat section in Barra da Tijuca just before the first Grumari ascent). In fact, I'm headed to Grota Funda tomorrow for an 80k out-and-back.

Some observations:

1. The pave is difficult, but certainly in better condition than the Hell of the North. It's uneven pave, but is VERY wide (3 cars wide) and lacks the killer potholes. I'll be interested if they try to improve it between now and then.

2. The climb to Grumari is wickedly uneven, several truly nasty pitches, but is super short. Road is HORRIBLE, but I'm sure the IOC will demand improvements. Awesome little restaurant at the top, where im headed tomorrow for some moqueca! Don't read this climb as 1.2K at 7%. Reality is that the last 400M probably vary up to 15%, with obvious switchbacks. Not a rhythmic climb.

3. descending after that climb, it's twisting, narrow, but manageable. They will then head through a little barrio, bringing the most excitement that area has probably ever seen.

4. The climb to Grota Funda is from the longer, but easier side. Either way, it will be a big-ring cruiser for these guys. Slightly twisty descent, but this will just be a softener. Read this exactly as it is. Not challenging for these guys.

5. They'll be in the vicinity of the Olympic Village (looks way behind schedule right now every weekend when we ride by!) during each loop of the Gru/Gro circuit.

6. Canoas. Canoas. WOW. I could not be more pumped!! Easily the most difficult of the "main road" climbs in the Rio area, IMO. There are much harder and nastier climbs around the city (cool cobbled 15-percenters in Santa Teresa come to mind). Starts hard, and has some nasty, long walls that probably pitch over 10%. Reminds me of a shorter version of the Col du Granon.

7. I then divide the climb into the Canoas piece and the Vista de Chinesa piece. VdC is a pretty mellow finish that follows the Canoas ascent and quick descent to VdC. DO NOT think of this climb as 8.5k/5.7%. Will ride MUCH more difficultly than that. Twisting, uneven, etc. very tough.

Lots more to say, but I'll close with this - I cannot think of a more perfect course. We've been PRAYING for this. I ran into a few USACycling suits a couple weeks back and was getting worried that the race might be headed to Teresopolis. Thankfully, they kept it right here. The view are going to be unbelievable. Such a mix of beachfront, mountains, and rainforest-y locale. Will be stunning. Weather here that time of year can be rotten. Rainy, windy, etc. the prevailing winds are not cross winds as this course is laid out. Will be a headwind out and a tailwind home.

What is so cool is that it is REALLY hard to figure out who should be a favorite, though I would equate it to a World's course. You can absolutely, 100% eliminate the pure sprinters, and the rouleurs. It will truly be a climber/puncheur course. The Canoas climb is such a bear. My initial thoughts are a Dan Martin/JRod/Valverde type, but you could just as easily say Contador, Talansky, Nibbles, etc.

Will be awesome. Sorry for the length.

Nice post and thanks for some extra information on the course.
If a pure climber like Contador/Quintana is able to drop the punchier types it could get really awesome. Spain has just such a strong team for this course with Purito,Valverde and Contador. Maybe they will be past their prime in 1.5 years, but I doubt it.

Kwibus said:
Nice post and thanks for some extra information on the course.
If a pure climber like Contador/Quintana is able to drop the punchier types it could get really awesome. Spain has just such a strong team for this course with Purito,Valverde and Contador. Maybe they will be past their prime in 1.5 years, but I doubt it.

Dont think Purito can last on the downhill/flat section after the climb. Valverde/Contador are better options. Dont think that Quintana has the kick needed.
If it is to go to a climber it would be between Contador/Valverde/Froome/Nibali but I think it will be more of a puncher type (have to account for distance as well).

I love it to be honest, made for Kwiatkowski (although climbs could be bit closer to each other)

Netserk said:
Colombians will peak massively for this race, Uran to do one better than in London. Other strong candidates are Costa, Nibali, Martin and Valverde. Kiwi needs to be climbing better if he wants to stand a chance, but time is on his side.

Kiwi has demostrated that he can climb with the best in a hard climb, but, just one day, that is true, but this is one day. Valverde we will see how powelfull is in 2016. But anyway those are the names, similar to a hard Lombardía.

Thank 53x11 for the info.

I hope they dont improve the roads except the dangerous points.

The pave is wide in comparision with Roubaix, but it is not a wide road, and very exposed to the wind:

14593_1507379319544703_6517082139692373983_n.jpg

The only problem of the pavé is that is not possible to put it in the last part of the race, but 10.5 km long with just a few domestiques will play a role, becouse it is not an easy one.

TRENDING THREADS