• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rio 2016 Olympic Road Race and Time Trial courses

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Taxus4a said:
eople as Nibali, Urán, Rui Costa, Kiatlowski, Daniel Martin, Mollema, Valverde and Purito if they are still strong,... are the favourites.

these are all strong sprinters except for Nibali. I would put him in the - strong climbers that can't sprint - category, so the category of riders that could win but most likely won't.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Taxus4a said:
Kiwi has demostrated that he can climb with the best in a hard climb, but, just one day, that is true, but this is one day. Valverde we will see how powelfull is in 2016. But anyway those are the names, similar to a hard Lombardía.

Thank 53x11 for the info.

I hope they dont improve the roads except the dangerous points.

The pave is wide in comparision with Roubaix, but it is not a wide road, and very exposed to the wind:

14593_1507379319544703_6517082139692373983_n.jpg

The only problem of the pavé is that is not possible to put it in the last part of the race, but 10.5 km long with just a few domestiques will play a role, becouse it is not an easy one.

Couple other points...

1. There is an uncategorized blip of a climb (we call it Prainha, the name of the beach at the bottom), that precedes the cobbles. You top off Prainha with about a 150-200m pitch of 12%ish grade, and then plummet down a short but steep descent straight onto the cobbles. That section (Prainha, Cobbles, Grumari, Burle Marx, Grota Funda, will make for very sketchy, nervous racing. While early in the race, they're going to have to stay attentive lest the inevitable stupid crashes happen.

2. Everything between the Gru/Gro circuit and the Canoas circuit, and everything after the Canoas circuit is absolutely PAN FLAT. Basically, riding along the beach at sea level. The only exception is that they appear to have thrown in the Joa climb, a 1Kish, 5%ish climb just before the first Canoas circuit.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Looks like an interesting difficult route with different types of obstacles and the last one being more than 20km from the finish. Almost looks like it came right out of the race design thread. :D

60km TT is also a good thing.

greenedge said:
GDL in 2012/13

The distance is bigger from the descent to the finish like, allthough after the change it seems to be about 15km I think. The climb before the finish is hard enough to make big gaps though. So I really think an in form Contador or other dominant climber in 2016 has a big chance to create quite a gap before the descent.

It's just 6 man teams as well.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
togo95 said:
Should be closer (unless there is a detour through the city) if they just cut the last ~7 km.

interestingly the original parcours had 253km distance but the new one finishing in Copacabana seems to have 256,4km. So they cut the final ~7km but the route becomes 3,4km longer. So there's still a missing 10km to account for. :confused:

Maybe a detour after all? I wouldn't mind. The route is hard enough even with 6 men teams.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Don't be surprised if there are additional route changes. this surprises me only due to the fact that the original finish is where many endurance events in Rio finish (marathons, half-marathons, etc.) in fact, there are circuit races/crits that close the road a couple times a year as well. That stated, the Rio Prefeitura may request additional changes. These races will create havoc in the south and west zones of Rio.

I wonder if they intend to double back on Copacabana Beach (about a 4km stretch, one-way).

As long as they keep the Grota Funda and Canoas/VC loops, I'll be happy. Trying to figure out how I'm going to catch one passage of the cobbles/Grumari climb and then get back (by bike) in time for the Canoas climb. Won't be easy. There is a bike path that ALMOST connects the two, but you still have to make your way thru the tunnel into San Conrado to hit the base of the Canoas climb.

Looks like it will really be close, powerhouses Netherland, France and Belgium may only bring in 4 riders

Spain - Valverde, Rodriguez,Contador,Moreno,Izaguirre
Columbia - Uran,Henao,Quintana,Arreronda,Atapuna
Australia - Porte,Gerrans,Matthews,Dennis,Haas
Great Britain - Froome,Thomas,Swift,Yates,Yates
Italy - Nibali,Aru,Ulissi,Pozzovivo,De Marchi

Belgium - Gilbert, Van Avermaet,Wellens,Vanendert,Meersman
France - Pinot,Bardet,Gallopin,Rolland,Barguil
Netherlands - Mollema,Kelderman,Slagter,Poels,Weening

Germany - Degenkolb,Greipel,Geschke,Martens
Norway - Kristroff, Boasson-Hagen,Nordhaug,Bystrom
Poland - Kwiatkowski,Majka,Paterski,Niemiec
Portugal - Costa,Machado,Cardoso,Oliveira,
United States - Van Garderen, Talansky, Phinney, Danielson
Ireland - Martin,Roche,Deignan,Bennett
Czech Rep - Stybar,Kreuziger,Konig,Vakoc

Switzerland - Cancellera,Albasini,Dillier
Slovakia - Sagan,Velits,Velits
Russia - Kolobnev, Trifimov,Tsatevich
Denmark - Fuglsang,Valgren,Brechel
Austria - Eisel,Brandle,Zoidl

Re:

Asero831 said:
Looks like it will really be close, powerhouses Netherland, France and Belgium may only bring in 4 riders

Spain - Valverde, Rodriguez,Contador,Moreno,Izaguirre
Columbia - Uran,Henao,Quintana,Arreronda,Atapuna
Australia - Porte,Gerrans,Matthews,Dennis,Haas
Great Britain - Froome,Thomas,Swift,Yates,Yates
Italy - Nibali,Aru,Ulissi,Pozzovivo,De Marchi

Belgium - Gilbert, Van Avermaet,Wellens,Vanendert,Meersman
France - Pinot,Bardet,Gallopin,Rolland,Barguil
Netherlands - Mollema,Kelderman,Slagter,Poels,Weening

Germany - Degenkolb,Greipel,Geschke,Martens
Norway - Kristroff, Boasson-Hagen,Nordhaug,Bystrom
Poland - Kwiatkowski,Majka,Paterski,Niemiec
Portugal - Costa,Machado,Cardoso,Oliveira,
United States - Van Garderen, Talansky, Phinney, Danielson
Ireland - Martin,Roche,Deignan,Bennett
Czech Rep - Stybar,Kreuziger,Konig,Vakoc

Switzerland - Cancellera,Albasini,Dillier
Slovakia - Sagan,Velits,Velits
Russia - Kolobnev, Trifimov,Tsatevich
Denmark - Fuglsang,Valgren,Brechel
Austria - Eisel,Brandle,Zoidl

The quotas for men's road are as follows: Road Race

Nations ranked 1-5 2015 World Tour: 5 per nation
Nations ranked 6-15 2015 World Tour: 4 per nation
Nations ranked 1-6 2015 Europe Tour: 3 per nation
Nations ranked 1-3 2015 America Tour: 3 per nation
Nations ranked 1 2015 Africa & Asia Tours:3 per nation
Nations ranked 7-16 2015 Europe Tour: 2 per nation
Nations ranked 4-5 America Tour: 2 per nation
Nations ranked 2-4 African & Asia Tours 2 per nation
Nation ranked 1 Oceania Tour: 1 per nation

Time Trial:

Nations ranked 1-15 2015 World Tour: 1 per nation
Top 10 ITT 2015 Worlds: 1 per nation
(if more than 2 riders from same country in top 10, 2nd spot default to next rider in standings from country from outside top 10.

Overall maximum riders per nation: 5 (5 per RR, 2 per TT)

Nations who have qualified a maximum 5 riders via World Tour CANNOT "top up" via Continental Tours or Continental Championships. Nations with less than 5 riders may "top up" via Continental Tours. Nations from Americas/Asia & Africa who have not qualified via World or Continental Tours may qualify 1 rider via Continental Championship. However nations with rankings who's quota exceeds their number of riders in the relevant rankings can only enter that number of riders with the ineligible quota position being re-assigned.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I'm bumping this thread as it appears a duplicate Olympics thread has begun. Frankly, I didn't want to copy and paste, so bumping was easier. Perhaps the mods can merge the threads?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Update to my earlier course description....

The Gru/Grota circuit has been completely repaved. Very good condition, save for the cobbled section. Grumari climb still wickedly steep and uneven. Will be a bear.

The Gru/Grota circuit is also very twisty and turny. Was just out there Saturday, and even with a group of 10 people, you always have to be alert. No long straights on which to just chill out. The return AFTER the circuit, on the return from Recreio to San Conrado, is pan flat and arrow straight.

How many countries have named their exact team? I guess only Colombia.
Do I think they currently are the best 5 riders? Highly probable
Do I think it's the right selection? No, no way. I don't see López o Nairo there. I better get someone like Pantano and Anacona.
Heck, even Rubiano or Arredondo.

Re: Re:

DBotero said:
Escarabajo said:
Colombia's team: Uran, Henao, Quintana, Chaves, Lopez.

http://www.revistamundociclistico.com/ruta/20444-colombia-confirma-su-seleccion-olimpica-para-rio-de-janeiro-2016-quintana-uran-henao-chaves-y-lopez-forman-el-dream-team-nacional.html

I would have taken a workhorse instead of Lopez. Someone like Atapuma, Anacona or Pantano.

Great team but i wonder how will they make it work.Sometimes it's not so great to have so many good riders.

Natural selection. The route is long and hard, survival of the fittest, everybody for himself.

Natural Selection?
Yeah, all 5 are going back individually to the car for food and instructions, and if someone has a flat? Well, bad luck, you try your best or your are out.
Oh, and they will fight each other to be on Contador's or Froome's wheel.
And Nairo will ask Rigo to be in front, and Rigo will reply, "so you can leave in the dust after I'm tired?"
Will Nairo attack from afar? Will he beat Valverde or Purito, or Martin in a sprint?

Here is the confirmation of your post slosada:

http://www.revistamundociclistico.com/ruta/20450-nueve-nombres-anadidos-a-la-preseleccion-colombia-de-ruta-para-los-juegos-olimpicos.html

Hombres

Nairo Alexander Quintana Rojas

Rigoberto Urán Urán

Esteban Chaves Rubio

Carlos Alberto Betancur Gómez

Julián David Arredondo Moreno

Jarlinson Pantano Gómez

Miguel Ángel López Moreno

Sebastián Henao Gómez

Sergio Luis Henao Montoya

Carlos Julián Quintero Noreña

Winner Anacona Gómez

Fernando Gaviria Rendón

Weimar Roldán Ortiz

Edwin Alcibiades Ávila Vanegas

I see that all of them are better option than Atapuma.Atapuma was the main workhorse on the worlds in which Uran crashed but that he could have won.