• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

RIP Steve Larson

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Wow! I just read that Steve Larsen died of a heart attack last night at the age of 39. I remember racing against him as a junior back in the 80's... the guy had amazing talent and was considered the best up and coming prospect at the time. He was the rider that many of us measured ourselves against (and I was even a year older).

Very sad and shocking. My thoughts go out to his family.

Yeah, really sad. Had 5 young kids. He always seemed like a really nice guy whenever I talked to him. Still crazy fit, too. Article I read says he died while doing a track workout.

For some of our non-US readers who may not have heard of him, he was a US pro cyclist/mtn biker/triathlete. Raced for Motorola for awhile, did the Giro, won the US Mtn bike cross country title, won the first Ironman he entered at Lake Placid and finished 9th at Kona.

Btw, Larsen

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Very sad day

Wow, what a shame. I enjoyed following Steve's cycling career and it was really cool to be able to be in the same Ironman when he won Lake Placid in 2001. My condolences goes out to his family friends and all the Mad Cows out there.

May 21, 2009
Visit site
A sad day

I first met Steve Larsen at the 1986 National Championships in Boise Idaho. I was watching the Seniors on the climb, and we talked for awhile. He'd gotten 5th in the Junior 14-15 race, I'd finished somewhere near the back of the race, but he was still just super nice. A few days before he'd won the National time trial. He went on to great things as an athlete, I quit racing and went to art school, but I always followed him because he was such an impressive athlete. Truly gifted. My sincerest prayers go to his family.

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Our first ride

Steve invited me to ride with the saturday morning ride out of Hutches Bike Shop in Bend. I was already a fat old-school racer guy by then but that didn't matter to Steve. I showed up on a 25 year old custom built lugged Medici from the 80's that I bought at Carnevales in Huntington Beach with full original Campy Super Record. Steve rode along side me, looked down at my bike and said with that big ol grin: "That bike is gonna make me cry!" (in a good way). We'll miss you Steve.

May 21, 2009
Visit site
RIP Steve

I remember babysitting Steve at 4 years old and him running laps with his father at that age. An exceptional athelete has passed way too young, my condolences to his family/ parents.

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Millerton

I remember that race! Steve and I drove down from Davis for a Wildflower tune-up (Steve had heard Chris Lieto had raced there the year before and thought he might show-up again). That race was a great chance to see Steve at his best. We got up, raced (he won, of course, but I covered my handicap, so he bought burritos on the way home), and despite the long drive back to Davis, Steve hung out for the awards and just to chat with the other racers and the organizers. And, for Steve, the post-race routine was not a chore or something he did because he was obliged to do so for his sponsors. He did it because he genuinely liked that part about being a pro athlete; he felt you had to show respect for the race, your fellow athletes, and the organizers by being involved in the whole experience of the event, not just what happened between the start and finish lines. There is probably a metaphor in there for how he lived his life, but I am too emotionally drained after today to articulate it. However, that Millerton reference triggered a great memory of a great time with a great guy. Here's to more such memories and less of the abject sadness that today has been about.

Cheers.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I can remember Steve Larsen for as long as I can remember cycling. I will always remember him as one of the greatest all around American cyclist in history. I can remember back in 2000 when Maxxis gave him his first pro model tires......I bought the Mimos to support him not because they were great tires. My condolences go out to his family.

May 20, 2009
Visit site
All of my prayers

Wow, I heard about this before my boss and broke the news to him. He had raced with him many times. He told me how stunningly talented he was--blew everyone away from age 13 on in California. The parents of my boss ran a bike shop in the 80's that Steve frequented often. He now loathes telling them what happened. We both, and I am sure his parents, wish him a safe journey and all of our prayers for him and his family.

May 21, 2009
Visit site
sad day

I had the good fortune to meet Steve and watch him race when I worked for Schwinn in the late 90's. Such a focused athlete, and a very nice guy. At Deer Valley in '98 I think it was, some guy named Lance was beginning his comeback, and Steve and him absolutely DRAG-raced the climbs together. Steve would drop Lance on the descents, Lance would catch up, then they would just throttle each other, side by side, up the hills. Lance finally cramped-up and quit, and by then Steve was in another zip code to the rest of the field!
Didn't he win his first Ironman length Tri in Lake Placid by some crazy new record time, too?
Very sad. So sorry for his family. RIP Steve.
JP

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Larsen's win in Lake Placid may be his most impressive, since he had never run anywhere near a marathon distance race at that point.

Obviously his death is anomalous, I would like to know if a cause will be pursued. I suspect most us folks in that age range with decades of hard competition in their legs feel the same way.

Family of five is devastated. I will be thinking of them.

May 24, 2009
Visit site
Rip

I remember Steve attacking out of the parking lot in a Road race in Minden NV in 86-7, and holding of the entire Jr field. 7-11 had there whole team of hot shot juniors racing, and they could not catch him. Sad and shocking news. RIP Steve

May 24, 2009
Visit site
R.I.P. Steve Larsen

Deeply saddened by Steve's passing, lined up with him a few times back in the nineties..good guy. My heart goes out to his family.

May 24, 2009
Visit site
I found him inspirational

I raced with Steve when he moved from Motorola to Scott in the 90's. I was pretty established with the Scott team. However, I loved the added professionalism he brought along with him. One of the first training rides I did with Steve was a road loop around Vail. Bragging rights would not let him drop me over Vail pass at the end of the ride.....did I love the speed we went or what! From that ride onwards, I was totally impressed by everything this guy did with his life. I was a European who did not know Steve's early history in cycling. However, I remember him as a chap who added value to my life. A lot of athletes move around sports to test themselves. Very few make an impact. Steve made an impact on everything he tried in life.

GF.

TRENDING THREADS