• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ritchey TI break a way as only bike?

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I am hoping to go to Europe for the first time next year. It has been a dream of mine to ride there. I believe the ritchey could be the perfect bike for the trip, but I just can't afford or justify having two road machines. Has anyone here used this bike as there sole road rig? I ride a few road races in the 35B, and a local crit for fitness, but most of my rides are in the mountains of Utah for fun. Thanks

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
mattfatcyclist said:
I am hoping to go to Europe for the first time next year. It has been a dream of mine to ride there. I believe the ritchey could be the perfect bike for the trip, but I just can't afford or justify having two road machines. Has anyone here used this bike as there sole road rig? I ride a few road races in the 35B, and a local crit for fitness, but most of my rides are in the mountains of Utah for fun. Thanks

I used an S&S coupled bike as my sole bike for 3 years. Raced it 4-6 times a year and did plenty of big climbing days in the Alp, Pyrenees, and Dolomites. I have a few other high end carbon bikes but I tend to gravitate back to that bike often.

The Ritchey is an excellent choice, however be aware the bag is slightly oversized and could result in a charge.

For the same price as a Ritchey you may be able to get a custom Ti With S&S couplers.

Aug 5, 2009
Visit site
The Ti Ritchey BreakAway is a great bike. I had serial #002 (I was the one who pestered Tom to make a Ti version. He got #001). The production models have straight gauge Ti tubing and ride as well as any road bike I have ever ridden.

Some people worry about the durability of the clamp on the downtube, but I ride that bike on some really gnarly dirt with 6000'+ descents, etc. and have never had a problem.

One tip to increase the durability during shipping it is to use high pressure vinyl tubing around your tubes as padding rather than the stuff which comes with the bike. The clear tubing comes in enough sizes to accommodate all the different tubing sizes. Just measure for length and cut it lengthwise so it will slip easily over the tubes.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I have raced on a Bianchi Ti with carbon fork for the past 5 years and it is still serving me well its total waight is 7.5kg so its light enough the main thing is light wheels not so much the frame.

Race Radio said:
I used an S&S coupled bike as my sole bike for 3 years. Raced it 4-6 times a year and did plenty of big climbing days in the Alp, Pyrenees, and Dolomites. I have a few other high end carbon bikes but I tend to gravitate back to that bike often.

The Ritchey is an excellent choice, however be aware the bag is slightly oversized and could result in a charge.

For the same price as a Ritchey you may be able to get a custom Ti With S&S couplers.

Hmm, $2600 for the Ti Ritchey, frame/fork/BAG. S&S option for a ti frame runs about $1000, another $450 for the bag...not sure you could get a custom ti with S&S with bag for $2600. Maybe an Asian made one...

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Bustedknuckle said:
Hmm, $2600 for the Ti Ritchey, frame/fork/BAG. S&S option for a ti frame runs about $1000, another $450 for the bag...not sure you could get a custom ti with S&S with bag for $2600. Maybe an Asian made one...

The Ti Ritchey is $2895.00,http://www.ritcheylogic.com/dyn_prodfamily.php?k=365046 plus shipping if you order it on line. Many custom Ti Builders will build Ti frame with S&S for $3k. I like the backpack bag. It is not oversized like the Ritchey bag and is $235.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Personally I would go with the Steel save a few bob

I see no advantage to the Ti over steel in a break away capacity