• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rivalry within team

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
The younger members and newer fans might not recall it, but veteran cycling fans such as myself still reminisce about the great rivalry between Aru and Landa at the Giro 2015.

dtpnv5c.jpg

Re:

GenericBoonenFan said:
Jurgen VDB and Phil Gilbert on the TdF stage of 2012 to Planche des belles fille (not sure however). VDB attacked and looked to sneak to victory like only a VDB-type cyclist could do but teammate Gilbert brought the bunch back.
Mur de bretagne, the one evans won is the one you mean I think. And yeah that was weird indeed, cause Gilbert had nothing left after he closed the gap. Probably overconfidence, since this was the year where he could do almost everything.

Olano vs Jimenez within Banesto Vuelta 98'. Olano slamming his team in the media for a lack of support after the stage with finsh uphill on the Alto de Nevacerrada. Indirect he refers to Jimenez, who was the best climber of the two in the Vuelta. Jimenez took the leaders jersey with two/three stages to go, but Olano re-took the jersey on the closing timetrial.
A quote of Michel Wuyts in that time: ''Spain has only one hero. It doesn’t matter who wins the Vuelta, he will always be in the shadow of Jose Maria Jimenez.''

Re:

laurensde+ said:
Etixx vs Terpstra

Specially last year there were some dodgy things going on, but recently in an interview Terpstra said for example what a great job he had. Even training camps where you leave your family behind for 2-3 weeks just to train were a pleasure as he had a great time with his teammates which is a team without big egos despite it having a lot of winners.

We probably see more to it then there really is. Just like it always it from the outside most of the time.

Re:

SeriousSam said:
The younger members and newer fans might not recall it, but veteran cycling fans such as myself still reminisce about the great rivalry between Aru and Landa at the Giro 2015.

dtpnv5c.jpg

Certainly not pretty, but I don't think there was a big rivalry. Landa did a lot of work for Aru, despite him climbing better than Aru. Only once he really ignored orders.

Well Landa said he should've been leader afterwards, but they chose for the Italian as it was in Italy. Besides that he doesn't moan or cry about it.

Re: Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Tonton said:
hrotha said:
Cunego & Simoni at the 2004 Giro comes to mind. Olano & Chava at the 1998 Vuelta, too (this one was pretty entertaining, as Olano's wife, Karmele, wasn't shy about speaking her mind on the radio during the race itself).
This...

Did you become a mod recently or do I have a really bad memory? :p
Recently. Literally days ago. This site has given me a lot. As I stated somewhere else, it took me two years to become a member due to all the trolling that took place before Lance met Oprah. It's unfair. There are many fans, more or less knowledgeable, who should be able (or feel comfortable) to give their two cents without fera of negativity. CN is for fun. Not aggression. There has to be rules, or this site will turn into YouTube, troll capital of the world.

Hey, BTW: That's what happens when you're a fan of FDJ: sometimes you win the lottery :D .

I stand by Olano vs. Chava. Other good nominations. LA vs. Contador, I could mention Boyer and LeMond (that one still bothers me - doesn't bother Saronni :rolleyes: ). But go watch the Olano-Jimenez stuff: that is insane and makes the '86 TdF plot quite lame actually :D .

Re:

kwikki said:
Cadel Evans. Not so much rivalry as being isolated by his own team. Seemed to happen quite a lot.

I think it was more of a case of him wanting to be isolated but if you are talking about being isolated in races, he simply never had the firepower in the mountains to help him until Horner came along and then Tejay. Mostly the other climbers would be gone at the bottom of the final climb. He seemed to be much more comfortable at BMC than Lotto and the way his team rode for him in the 2011 Tour did not indicate a team that was not willing to work for their leader. No doubt Evans was a prickly character though, especially when things did not work out for him.

Re: Re:

kingjr said:
GenericBoonenFan said:
Jurgen VDB and Phil Gilbert on the TdF stage of 2012 to Planche des belles fille (not sure however). VDB attacked and looked to sneak to victory like only a VDB-type cyclist could do but teammate Gilbert brought the bunch back.
Mur de bretagne, the one evans won is the one you mean I think. And yeah that was weird indeed, cause Gilbert had nothing left after he closed the gap. Probably overconfidence, since this was the year where he could do almost everything.

I came online during my work break to fix my mistake but you already did it :D

TRENDING THREADS