• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Road Cycling Has Become Terrible On Every Level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry but I can't take it anymore.

I have been watching cycling since early 80's but this sport is getting worse and worse. In the past I didnt go on holiday because I wanted to see the TDF. When I was @ the beach, I went home around 3 PM.

Complain about the Indurain years but those days were miles better in retrospect. Back then I would laugh when somebody would say cycling would turn into this what we are seeing now.

It al started with Armstrong and his bloodtrain. In the past you saw a complete peloton in pieces during the mountain stages and most of all, BEFORE the last mountain even started. This stopped during Armstrong's years. They now all want to keep the team together as long as possible. A big group gets the freedom and we are watching 4 hours of total crap. Laugh all you want about Astana, but at least they try something.

We have a genius who has won the TDF 3x already. Riders are not shaking hands anymore, to avoid illness. Some are wearing time trial outfits?? during the stage and a helmet that should be forbidden, so big. It would not surprise me if we see winteroutfits and skaters protection in the near future.

Cavendish is suddenly considered one of the best sprinters ever (he probably thinks so too) while the competition he has faced over the years is marginal at best. Its quite sad actually. Of course I understand things are changing but there are a lot of young people around here who have no idea how great this sport was and that's truly shame (I am 38 BTW).

Regularly I am watching my old VHS tapes but I seriously have no intention to watch anything from the last 15 years. Another thing that annoys me, some complain about the rain and the descents, its dangerous. What a total joke, thats cycling, choose another job.

That's worrysome, we have to rely on this generation to get excitement but they are whining about the weather conditions. You notice it too in all after programs. Retired cycling vets don't like it either but this french fries generation just cant deal with any criticism. At least start to admit its horrible to watch. To change it, is another thing.

Something needs to be done. Who agrees ?

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
[quote=""Jeff"":3pbwin2c]I'm sorry but I can't take it anymore.

I have been watching cycling since early 80's but this sport is getting worse and worse. In the past I didnt go on holiday because I wanted to see the TDF. When I was @ the beach, I went home around 3 PM.

Complain about the Indurain years but those days were miles better in retrospect. Back then I would laugh when somebody would say cycling would turn into this what we are seeing now.

It al started with Armstrong and his bloodtrain. In the past you saw a complete peloton in pieces during the mountain stages and most of all, BEFORE the last mountain even started. This stopped during Armstrong's years. They now all want to keep the team together as long as possible. A big group gets the freedom and we are watching 4 hours of total crap. Laugh all you want about Astana, but at least they try something.

We have a genius who has won the TDF 3x already. Riders are not shaking hands anymore, to avoid illness. Some are wearing time trial outfits?? during the stage and a helmet that should be forbidden, so big. It would not surprise me if we see winteroutfits and skaters protection in the near future.

Cavendish is suddenly considered one of the best sprinters ever (he probably thinks so too) while the competition he has faced over the years is marginal at best. Its quite sad actually. Of course I understand things are changing but there are a lot of young people around here who have no idea how great this sport was and that's truly shame (I am 38 BTW).

Regularly I am watching my old VHS tapes but I seriously have no intention to watch anything from the last 15 years. Another thing that annoys me, some complain about the rain and the descents, its dangerous. What a total joke, thats cycling, choose another job.

That's worrysome, we have to rely on this generation to get excitement but they are whining about the weather conditions. You notice it too in all after programs. Retired cycling vets don't like it either but this french fries generation just cant deal with any criticism. At least start to admit its horrible to watch. To change it, is another thing.

Something needs to be done. Who agrees ?[/quote]

Right. So if you are 38, and you were watching the sport since the early 80s, that means you were watching it when you were 3.

Everything seems amazing when you are 3.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
2bb05ad.jpg

[quote=""Jeff"":1gctc7lv]
Something needs to be done. Who agrees ?[/quote]
Stop identifying road cycling with the Tdf would be a good start, for example.
Yes, the Tour sucks. Has been for quite a while. Road cycling can still deliver good stuff though. Sometimes.

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Re:

kwikki said:
Right. So if you are 38, and you were watching the sport since the early 80s, that means you were watching it when you were 3.

Everything seems amazing when you are 3.
I am from 1977, I saw Peter Winnen win at l'Alpe d'Huez in 1983. I have seen the whole Tour of 1982 on my uncle's Betamax videorecorder.

I always get a bit tired of people like you.

rick james said:
The hate is strong with Jeff
You are 100% correct Rick. I dont like to see myself like this either.

The Tour has been *** for a while. MSR is a shadow these days of what it used to be, same can be said of the Ardennes. But apart from that road cycling is still more than exciting enough for me to watch.

It's just a shame that I can't understand Polish and there was no other coverage of the Tour of Poland this year, because it sounds absolutely epic

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Eshnar said:
The Tour doesn't suck, it's just that everyone likes bashing it to show off their hipster credentials.
I dislike hipsters as well and know what I am talking about. You might be right but I am not the one you are talking about. I know everything from cycling. Just ask and I will give the answer without looking at wiki.

"Jeff"":k9ky8j0r][quote="Eshnar said:
[quote=""Jeff"":k9ky8j0r]
Yes, the Tour sucks. Has been for quite a while. Road cycling can still deliver good stuff though. Sometimes.[/quote]Good call, I didnt want to post too much so just for now I stick to the TDF. This is not the point.

The classiques arent much better. In the past the whole peloton was in pieces when they faced the Redoute in L-B-L. Now we have a peloton of 100 people when they enter Liege ! The Amstel Gold Race, laughable. Milaan-San Remo horrible, but that has always been, 80s as well. I can go on and on.[/quote]

Go on, youve pretty much covered everything by this point

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
Oh Jeff, you've not been right since your day in yellow after Mont Ventoux in 1987, and Fignon/Mottet/Roche attacked in the feed zone, have you?

I guess, for some at least, nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Eshnar said:
[quote=""Jeff"":2ftrurya]
Yes, the Tour sucks. Has been for quite a while. Road cycling can still deliver good stuff though. Sometimes.[/quote]

Quality of giro has also dropped.

2012 was dogshit, 2013 was *** (also cause of weather of course), 2014 was eh, 2015 was great and 2016 was *** until the last 4 days. Nibal saved that giro.

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Look people, you do not have to agree with me. Thats okay. Perhaps you can give your view (like some already do, thanks for that).

Just skip the smart ass comments, especially the usual suspects.

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
"Jeff"":3lothoxa][quote="Eshnar said:
The Tour doesn't suck, it's just that everyone likes bashing it to show off their hipster credentials.
I dislike hipsters as well and know what I am talking about. You might be right but I am not the one you are talking about. I know everything from cycling. Just ask and I will give the answer without looking at wiki.

What was Djamoladine Abdoujaparov's middle name?

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
hrotha said:
[quote=""Jeff"":4jwee163]
The only ''classique'' I really like is the Clasica San Sebastian.
Wait, what? You still like the newest murito classic, but can't even spare a thought for RvV and PR, both of which (especially the latter) were fantastic this year?[/quote]
Please do not put words in my mouth. There is always some stuff that was nice to watch, logical when you have a race calender from February till October.

Yes I like the Clasica. I always had a soft spot for this race.

It's nothing new. cycling was even boring when Eddy was winning everything and getting booed like Froome. It's not as if cycling suddenly became boring when Lance came along. Some classics can also be boring. Fleche Wallone they should just have the hill climb at the end. Amstel Gold never very interesting. MSR the same. Thankfully you sometimes have races like Paris-Roubaix 2016 or Flanders. The Vuelta has been the most entertaining race of the grand tours for the past five years or so. Sky have the record in the Tour but fortunately they don't do the same in all of the other races.

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

Strongly disagree with the OP on this one. I might have done but when he started using words like 'genius' i switched off rather. I tuned back in in time to discover that the sprinter opposition to Cavendish has always been 'Marginal'.

This year's TDF has not been one of the best, but it was a long way from the worst. The Dauphine this year was good, last year was excellent I thought. And the Giro and Vuelta have never disappointed me as far back as I can remember.

You are comparing what you watch today to what you were watching when you were 6??

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS