• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Road Cycling Has Become Terrible On Every Level

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 25, 2016
Visit site
Eshnar said:
[quote=""Jeff"":3iaj345h]
Something needs to be done. Who agrees ?
Stop identifying road cycling with the Tdf would be a good start, for example.
Yes, the Tour sucks. Has been for quite a while. Road cycling can still deliver good stuff though. Sometimes.[/quote]

this... even Prudhomme knows that Bore de France sucks and if ASO publicly demands changes it's clear there's something wrong (though they won't go beyond cosmetics - why bother if you have a cashcow monopoly... but still, they are probably afraid of the future and general lack of interest)

"Oh. Oh. The damage is done. So I guess I be... leaving."

It was a fantastic effing Giro. Two lead changes in the last two days, attacks on descents, the rosa bonking on the penultimate climb of the race and fighting to lose by seconds. Coming from great vuelta, with a surprise contender getting similarly cracked at the eleventh our. On the back of an awesome Tour that saw the yellow jersey finally cracking on the last stage 60km out only for the field to regroup on the final descent, otherwise we might have had ourselves an all-timer. Sprinkled with some historically awesome classics, including perhaps the best Roubaix of my lifetime.

So we saw a bit of an anticlimactic GC battle in this year's Tour. The only real challenger was off and everyone's favorite Spanish dancer crashed out again. But we saw an all-time exhibition from Sagan, who instead of resting up for the last stage like every single Champs Elysees contender in history before him went out as a domestique to help his team bag the polka dots and a top-10 in the two stages before Paris, and then almost got his fourth stage anyway. We saw thrilling ends to breakaways, with Pantano catching Majka over and over on the descent while Zakarin got dropped and caught back on through pure grinta. Bardet attacking downhill for a last gasp French victory and a surprise podium. We saw the yellow jersey crash twice, once involving a desperate jog up Ventoux; an inflatable almost take out an indefatigable Adam Yates; and plenty of other unforgettable moments.

But yeah, if the sight of Sky having three or four men of front at the Tour is too unbearable to you, go ahead and do an Oleg, because they're currently looking like a tough nut to crack.

I can't get my head round this:

Complain about the Indurain years but those days were miles better in retrospect. Back then I would laugh when somebody would say cycling would turn into this what we are seeing now.

There must have been some clairvoyants about, to be able to predict what cycling would be like now. What did they say to make you laugh?

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
The problem is every time you have a team so strong like Sky and like Discovery was, it is dificult to beat them.

Maybe we need more 1 or 2 teams like sky to have some fun. I agree that this tour was horrible, but sky and froome just do what they have to... So it is not their fault. The others must react fight, organize...

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Re:

wrinklyvet said:
I can't get my head round this:

Complain about the Indurain years but those days were miles better in retrospect. Back then I would laugh when somebody would say cycling would turn into this what we are seeing now.

There must have been some clairvoyants about, to be able to predict what cycling would be like now. What did they say to make you laugh?

He was 6! Pretty much anything would make me laugh when i was 6. I used to laugh watchin Playaway.

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Re:

PatrickLeeds said:
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

Strongly disagree with the OP on this one. I might have done but when he started using words like 'genius' i switched off rather. I tuned back in in time to discover that the sprinter opposition to Cavendish has always been 'Marginal'.

This year's TDF has not been one of the best, but it was a long way from the worst. The Dauphine this year was good, last year was excellent I thought. And the Giro and Vuelta have never disappointed me as far back as I can remember.

You are comparing what you watch today to what you were watching when you were 6??
and 7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20-21-22-23-24-25-26-27-28, yes.

Yes Froome is a digrace to cycling. I respect his efforts but watching him in interviews and on his bicycle, he is total genius. He confirmed this on the Mont Ventoux and Peyresourde. This dude does not know what he is doing.

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
Re:

filipepc said:
The problem is every time you have a team so strong like Sky and like Discovery was, it is dificult to beat them.

Imagine if a team came 1st, 2nd, 4th, 7th on GC, and also won the Mountains, Youth, and Team Classifications. Jeff probably wouldn't like that one bit.

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

"Jeff"":ba45oe5s][quote="PatrickLeeds said:

Strongly disagree with the OP on this one. I might have done but when he started using words like 'genius' i switched off rather. I tuned back in in time to discover that the sprinter opposition to Cavendish has always been 'Marginal'.

This year's TDF has not been one of the best, but it was a long way from the worst. The Dauphine this year was good, last year was excellent I thought. And the Giro and Vuelta have never disappointed me as far back as I can remember.

You are comparing what you watch today to what you were watching when you were 6??

Yes Froome is a digrace to cycling. I respect his efforts but watching him in interviews and on his bicycle, he is total genius. He confirmed this on the Mont Ventoux and Peyresourde. This dude does not know what he is doing.[/quote]

That is a pretty damning indictment of all the people he has beaten in his 3 Tour victories.

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site

kwikki said:
"Jeff"":2a3yuem4][quote="PatrickLeeds said:

Yes Froome is a digrace to cycling. I respect his efforts but watching him in interviews and on his bicycle, he is total genius. He confirmed this on the Mont Ventoux and Peyresourde. This dude does not know what he is doing.

That is a pretty damning indictment of all the people he has beaten in his 3 Tour victories.[/quote]And you constantly have a reading problem.

The Ardennes classics, Tour and WC RR indeed aren't as exciting as they used to be, the teams are often too strong and they control the races. But cycling in general is still great, and even in the 'boring' races it is always man against man in the end.

The Giro, Vuelta, and smaller stage races are still awesome most of the time.

Btw, don't know why you are shitting on Cavendish.

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site

[quote=""Jeff"":35zjl4b9]Yes Froome is a digrace to cycling. I respect his efforts but watching him in interviews and on his bicycle, he is total genius. He confirmed this on the Mont Ventoux and Peyresourde. This dude does not know what he is doing.[/quote]

I will cut you some slack for using 'genius' again, I am assuming from your posts english is your second language, FYI were you to call someone a genius in an anglophone Social situation you would probably get punched, and if you used it at work quite posisbly fired. I would suggest substituting 'I don't Like Him' for 'He is a genius'

His 'efforts on a bicycle' seem to result in him beating everyone else, 3 times, and while his interviews are hardly sparkling entertainment, there are plenty of less articulate sportsmen and women out there riding bikes.

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site

PatrickLeeds said:
[quote=""Jeff"":22363xdk]Yes Froome is a digrace to cycling. I respect his efforts but watching him in interviews and on his bicycle, he is total genius. He confirmed this on the Mont Ventoux and Peyresourde. This dude does not know what he is doing.

I will cut you some slack for using 'genius' again, I am assuming from your posts english is your second language, FYI were you to call someone a genius in an anglophone Social situation you would probably get punched, and if you used it at work quite posisbly fired. I would suggest substituting 'I don't Like Him' for 'He is a genius'

His 'efforts on a bicycle' seem to result in him beating everyone else, 3 times, and while his interviews are hardly sparkling entertainment, there are plenty of less articulate sportsmen and women out there riding bikes.[/quote]I am posting quickly and have to quote a couple of posts quickly as well. You dont have to explain the definition to me, just because you do not agree. I know what I am saying. Thank you.

If you are a big fan of him, fine, let me say how I think about him without getting grammar lessons.

"Jeff"":ok765nws][quote="PatrickLeeds said:
[quote=""Jeff"":eek:k765nws]Yes Froome is a digrace to cycling. I respect his efforts but watching him in interviews and on his bicycle, he is total genius. He confirmed this on the Mont Ventoux and Peyresourde. This dude does not know what he is doing.

His 'efforts on a bicycle' seem to result in him beating everyone else, 3 times, and while his interviews are hardly sparkling entertainment, there are plenty of less articulate sportsmen and women out there riding bikes.[/quote]I am posting quickly and have to quote a couple of posts quickly as well. You dont have to explain the definition to me, just because you do not agree. I know what I am saying. Thank you.[/quote]
The tenor of your nostalgia trip is such that you are asking for disagreement. But being so disagreeable yourself, using rude words that you do not seem to fully comprehend, is not assisting your argument. Just take a tip, Jeff, from other posters including one very senior to you in age, that you do yourself no favours. Whether you are essentially right or not is an issue lost in some of the things you are saying.

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site

"Jeff"":1i9lo7ab][quote="PatrickLeeds said:
[quote=""Jeff"":1i9lo7ab]Yes Froome is a digrace to cycling. I respect his efforts but watching him in interviews and on his bicycle, he is total genius. He confirmed this on the Mont Ventoux and Peyresourde. This dude does not know what he is doing.

His 'efforts on a bicycle' seem to result in him beating everyone else, 3 times, and while his interviews are hardly sparkling entertainment, there are plenty of less articulate sportsmen and women out there riding bikes.[/quote]I am posting quickly and have to quote a couple of posts quickly as well. You dont have to explain the definition to me, just because you do not agree. I know what I am saying. Thank you.

If you are a big fan of him, fine, let me say how I think about him without getting grammar lessons.[/quote]

No, I am not a big fan of him. He leaves me fairly cold.

Implies young people here don't know cycling. Which is flat out wrong, take Gigs for instance.

Says Cavendish is not one of the best sprinters ever and that CSS is the best classic around.

Calls a rider a genius, which, y'know, distinguishes his mature self from the youngsters here.

Actually, no. Does not compute.

What a cringe festival.

"Jeff"":2c0ocpmd][quote="PatrickLeeds said:

Yes Froome is a digrace to cycling. I respect his efforts but watching him in interviews and on his bicycle, he is total genius. He confirmed this on the Mont Ventoux and Peyresourde. This dude does not know what he is doing.[/quote]
Actually what he did on Ventoux and Peyresourde are probably one of the few moments where he entertained me. Even though Froome, in the eyes of the majority (including myself), has come to represent the boring side of stage racing, there is still no denying that he was more entertaining than the rest of the top 10 in this particular Tour. Only Bardet, Rodriguez and Kreuziger really tried something and neither was a threat to Froome.

"Jeff"":33hd3xkf][quote="PatrickLeeds said:
[quote=""Jeff"":33hd3xkf]Yes Froome is a digrace to cycling. I respect his efforts but watching him in interviews and on his bicycle, he is total genius. He confirmed this on the Mont Ventoux and Peyresourde. This dude does not know what he is doing.

If you are a big fan of him, fine, let me say how I think about him without getting grammar lessons.[/quote]

38 years old, you say? :rolleyes:

Good grief.

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site

Cance > TheRest said:
"Jeff"":8ibancyv][quote="PatrickLeeds said:

Actually what he did on Ventoux and Peyresourde are probably one of the few moments where he entertained me. Even though Froome, in the eyes of the majority (including myself), has come to represent the boring side of stage racing, there is still no denying that he was more entertaining than the rest of the top 10 in this particular Tour. Only Bardet, Rodriguez and Kreuziger really tried something and neither was a threat to Froome.[/quote]He is a danger to himself and most of all, a danger to others. He is constantly watching to the ground and even had a strange move which could have gone totally wrong.

Quite often he is falling because of the way he is sitting on his bike, which happened again in L-B-L. What he did on the Peyresourde was too ridiculous for words. Hopefully they do something about that. His full weight up front with 90 km/h. Never ever, I ve seen a rider in total panic or even leaving his bike. Froome, of course did.

I watch a lot of Belgian television. There are two experts over there and of course they can't be too harsh for him on national television, yet they totally think Froome is not 100% which I agree with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS