• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Road Cycling: Queen of Olympic Venues

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Yes, everything should be a free for all, clearly.

The most efficient way of ensuring the people who care most get to see something is either to give tickets away free at random, or let people fight for them with maces.

That could be an event in itself.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
As long as I don't have to endure another Olympian's Life Story, don't care if people pay an arm and a leg, not having to listen to another personal-umentry it will be well worth it.

Nothing is really Free anyway, parking will probably be more than any ticket anyway... they always get you.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
ElChingon said:
As long as I don't have to endure another Olympian's Life Story, don't care if people pay an arm and a leg, not having to listen to another personal-umentry it will be well worth it.

Nothing is really Free anyway, parking will probably be more than any ticket anyway... they always get you.

Your taking the train off the tracks. I think there is room for free space at venues where tickets are not sold. Half-full beach volley arenas in Prime Time hold nothing to the spectacle of the Raod Events we've seen. I can't agree with you more on the life-story segments. Someting to s**** on SNL I hope. NBC/Costas are not really cycling friendly. I really don't understand the BV stuff trumping cycling. I guess KA and Phinney are not enough of a story for some good highlights here.

Any numbers on the size of the crowds at the road events. Inspiring.:D

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
ElChingon said:

Your taking the train off the tracks. I think there is room for free space at venues with tickets are not sold. Half-full beach volley arenas in Prime Time hold nothing to the spectacle of the Raod Events we've seen. I can't agree with you more on the life-story segments. Someting to have a laugh at on SNL I hope. NBC/Costas are not really cycling friendly. I really don't understand the BV stuff trumping cycling. I guess KA and Phinney are not enough of a story for some good highlights here.

Any numbers on the size of the crowds at the road events?

Inspiring.:D

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
The beach volleyball stuff trumps cycling on NBC at the Olympics because it usually involves girls wearing bikinis, and because Americans do significantly better in beach volleyball than they do in cycling at the Olympics. And because it usually involves girls wearing bikinis. Stupid weather forcing them to cover up. Not good. Nor are those empty seats.

Fact is, NBC's coverage has been horrible. Prime time is a waste now. There was so much excitement in the USA during the 2008 Games and now it's like "meh, I'll just check the results online" since it is impossible for anyone to completely shut out spoilers. Olympic sports usually see a jump in participation in an Olympic year but I don't think it'll be as much as it was with the Beijing games. That's not the fault of London, that's the fault of the tools at NBC.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
T-Rav. said:
................Fact is, NBC's coverage has been horrible...................
I watched the ITTs on line this morning - the associated commentator was terrible and several times misidentified riders.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
BillytheKid said:
Your taking the train off the tracks. I think there is room for free space at venues where tickets are not sold. Half-full beach volley arenas in Prime Time hold nothing to the spectacle of the Raod Events we've seen. I can't agree with you more on the life-story segments. Someting to s**** on SNL I hope. NBC/Costas are not really cycling friendly. I really don't understand the BV stuff trumping cycling. I guess KA and Phinney are not enough of a story for some good highlights here.

Any numbers on the size of the crowds at the road events. Inspiring.:D

Is the word s**** "to laugh at" really a naughty?

Sorry for the double up in the edit.:(

I guess so.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
avanti said:
I watched the ITTs on line this morning - the associated commentator was terrible and several times misidentified riders.

True, but the topic is applying the free venue of cycling to other sports.

The corwd size has to be a story in itself. Any links?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
BillytheKid said:
True, but the topic is applying the free venue of cycling to other sports.

The corwd size has to be a story in itself. Any links?

Could Olympic viewership count at the venue be a Olympic Host city medal?

I guess it would be cool.
But... suppose the problem is that unlike cycling, and other open-air-events, events that are being held indoor; swimming, handball, gymnasticks, you name it, has a limitation to how many people it the venue can hold. Especially in case of an emergency.

I don't know how things are with other outdoor competitions though, but I'd say that in an event like rowing people should be allowed to line up on the shores of that place where they're having those races.

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Frosty said:
Suppose the marathon is the most comparable event. Would have thought there will be big crowds for those.

The triathlon perhaps even larger than the TT given the location - although why they have the mens on a weekday I don't know when the two massive favourites are brits.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
simo1733 said:
How about the 70,000 crowd at Wembley for womens football.GB Vs Brazil.

I would expect that for football and the home team. Even Major League Soccer (football) here draws big crowds. I've just seen empty seats at some venues, but you might have a better take on it than I.

TRENDING THREADS