• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Road Rash Remedies

Mar 31, 2009
www.barbrides.com
Tegaderm

is magic for road rash. You can find it at medical supply stores. It promotes moist healing for wounds while preventing infection. The stuff is not cheap but it works better than anything else on the market.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Go to a big pharmacy and ask for a product by Johnson and Johnson you might need a script but it's soap mixed with drugs that kill the pain while you are scrubbing it out. No matter what do a couple of shots, wiskey or tequilla and scrub it out. Make sure nobody is home because if it's bad you are going to start crying.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
I learned a trick from my mom once when i got some pretty bad road rash when i was little. She took a vitamin E pill, pierced it with a needle and squeezed it out over the area. Seemed to work really well. We did it 4 plus times a day for a few days. Good luck.

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
During the healing time, be sure to keep the wounds out of the sun as much as possible. Rash wipes away the first few layers of skin. The exposed under-layers are much more sensitive to sunburn. Sunburn on rash will lengthen the healing time, increase scarring, and really hurt.

That said, my favorite remedy is time in the ocean. Pick early morning or late afternoon hours to avoid the peak sun. Sal****er does wonders for healing the skin. The initial sting is a little tough, but worth it!

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
I didn't notice your location but an ocean swim will help lots, You have to get all the sand,dirt and lil' rocks out before you do anything, don't pick any shark spot. Back in the early 90's I had a fish really nail my finger while feeding them some frozen peas trying to do underwater photo session. I left all that up to Steve Irwin after that.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
David Suro said:
During the healing time, be sure to keep the wounds out of the sun as much as possible. Rash wipes away the first few layers of skin. The exposed under-layers are much more sensitive to sunburn. Sunburn on rash will lengthen the healing time, increase scarring, and really hurt.

That said, my favorite remedy is time in the ocean. Pick early morning or late afternoon hours to avoid the peak sun. Sal****er does wonders for healing the skin. The initial sting is a little tough, but worth it!

OMG... this might be the funniest word censor yet!

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:
I didn't notice your location but an ocean swim will help lots, You have to get all the sand,dirt and lil' rocks out before you do anything, don't pick any shark spot. Back in the early 90's I had a fish really nail my finger while feeding them some frozen peas trying to do underwater photo session. I left all that up to Steve Irwin after that.

Glad to hear you're using this: I plan to keep it much more aggressively up-to-date than has been the case in the past, but don't hesitate to let me know if you find errors or need clarifications.;)

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Road rash

Best stuff ever: Sulfadeen cream. It's made for intense burn victims, which you are. After painfully cleaning the area with disinfectant; you apply this creamy stuff and cover with non-stick Tefla type bandages. From that point you open it up twice a day and brush loose "fluid" that looks nasty from the edges and reapply and rebandage. It will shrink the wound and leave minimal scarring.
This works on serious third-degree wounds as well. Ask for it at the ER when you go in and get it included on your insurance. Ask for a big stash of the bandage material as well. You paid for the insurance...get your money's worth.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
I deal with it by swearing a lot and being in a lot of pain and spending the night going into a kinda feverish semi sleep and waking up exhausted. It must work because I've always eventually recovered.

I had bad road rash recently and after all the advice on forums and spending days researching the Keep it Moist versus Keep it Dry debate - and a trip to the doctors as it seemed infected but wasnt.....I was given antibiotic cream which I highly do not advise as it aggravates the wound !

The doctor gave me the best advice that worked a treat ! After making sure all the dirts out....get in a bath of warm water with salt in it...OR as I did a good lashing of TCP.

After that put on a gauze dressing that wont stick to the wound...just for a day and whenever possible take it off and let the air get to it. DRY it out as quick as possible. Then its just a case os waiting til it scabs over. I,m a girl and I was worried i would have a mark there which I do ...but its fading and will be gone soon.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
mylanternrouge said:
Rawleigh's antiseptic salve is, quite possibly, the best road rash remedy available. It dries, protects, and pulls out the nasty bits. The stuff smells a bit odd -- I imagine it's the turpentine. It really works.

OMG i forgot about that stuff, we used it on the farm we called it "cow salve" because it was good for man or beast, i can still smell that stuff but you are right, it works!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I got RR back in March. Just cleaned it and bandaged it up. The thing is I still have a dark patch of skin where I crashed. Will this ever go away ?

Sep 12, 2009
Visit site
road rash

make sure you get as clean as possible then antiseptic and bandages.see a doctor and get something to help the healing from them,ie don't try something you never heard of before.and watch out for not only infections but reactions to creams and stuff.i found i was allergic to copper in burn cream,nothing like iced fire to make your arm twitch and wrigggle on it's own.best of luck and keep the rubber side down next time

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Road Rash

Hey Sherer--

I got road rash back in April, with a lingering dark mark as well..with more like a dark circle with the center being lighter. Although mine is probably more noticeable-- I have the RR on my upper cheekbone and on my shoulder. From what I've read the marks should fade considerably in about 1 years time. Since mine is on my face I'm going to a dermatologist to see if I can get prescribed some skin fading cream--I suggest you do the same if your RR is in someplace that really bothers you. Anyone else on here ever had RR on their face?? I feel like I'm the only one :|

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
thanks for the info ramos84. I fell on my backside and slid down the road from there. Unfortunately i've got no one to show that to at the moment so just waiting for it to heal on it's own.

Hope you managed to get your RR sorted out.

As someone said to me, the RR heals if you damage to bike you have to buy a new one

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:
Go to a big pharmacy and ask for a product by Johnson and Johnson you might need a script but it's soap mixed with drugs that kill the pain while you are scrubbing it out. No matter what do a couple of shots, wiskey or tequilla and scrub it out. Make sure nobody is home because if it's bad you are going to start crying.

is that the stuff that comes with a rough sponge soak to scrub out gravel and dirt? That is the stuff to get?

TRENDING THREADS