• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

road rides in Japan?

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm traveling to Japan this summer and want to squeeze in a few rides. Anyone have insight/referrals for the following:

road bike rental(prefer competitive road bike) in Tokyo, Hiroshima

local shop rides and/or cycling clubs to hook up with

Thanks!

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
I would strongly recommend trying to do a short trip around the nara region and surrounding areas if you can. I went for 3 weeks to Japan in may and rode my bike and it has to be one of the most beautiful places to ride. Tops anything in europe beauty wise, and riding conditions. We never heard one car honk at us and the roads seemed brand new. If you want to see one of the nicest shops ever got to nalsima frend in tokyo.

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the tips. Not only do I face a language barrier, but I'm also 6'2" :)

Unfortunately, I'll just miss an annual ride up (around?) Mt. Fuji. Nara would be awesome.

Thx again!

VanceNichols said:
.............I went for 3 weeks to Japan in may and rode my bike and it has to be one of the most beautiful places to ride. Tops anything in europe beauty wise, and riding conditions. We never heard one car honk at us and the roads seemed brand new.

I am somwhat surprised by what you say. I had been learning Japanese with the idea of touring Japan on my bike, preferably in remote areas (If they exist in Japan) but never did it in the end.
I gave up the idea for various reasons, but one major one was that a Japanese cyclist whom I have known for 10 years or so (because he used to come to France, Italy, Austria to ride the big "cyclosportifs" events like the Marmotte, Maratona dles Dolomites, Otztaler Radmarathon, etc) told me how awful Japanese drivers where towards cyclists, showing no respect whatsoever and saying how much more he enjoyed riding in Europe.

It was hard for me to believe since Japanese are always so considerate of other people, but that what he experienced in his normal training ( he lives in or near Kyoto).

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Le breton said:
.It was hard for me to believe since Japanese are always so considerate of other people, but that what he experienced in his normal training ( he lives in or near Kyoto).

Considerate of others? Lol!

Here's the deal: I don't think there is such thing as common courtesy in Japan. There are many rules that codify behavior within groups and determine how one must behave to others with which they have a relationship of somekind. But absent a clearly defined relationship, people feel perfectly free to basically ignore the existence of others and act selfishly. It really as if the other people don't even exist. So they push and shove on the trains without excusing themselves, ignore all the recorded announcements and sings trying to teach them courtesy (giving up seats to elderly, not talking on cell phones or blasting ipod headphones, etc.), they cut in lines, they don't open doors for strangers or pick up something that was dropped or help a lost person or anything like that...and yes, drive selfishly as well, as if they are the only person in the world.

The good news is that out in the country side there just doesn't seem to be as much car traffic as one has to deal with in many parts of the USA or Europe.

Go to Japan and have fun!

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Le breton said:
I am somwhat surprised by what you say. I had been learning Japanese with the idea of touring Japan on my bike...

It really depends on where you are in Japan. Different cities have very different personalities. Overall, in most of Japan drivers are very courteous, but unfortunately very clueless. In other words, don't assume that they see you because chances are they don't. I've met a lot of people, Japanese and foreign, who have toured Japan and enjoyed it very much.

stephens said:
[Japanese] Considerate of others? Lol! ...

Again it depends on where you are. Most of Japan is not like Tokyo (or Osaka). It's like saying all Americans are discourteous because New Yorkers are. Japanese are not perfect models of behavior, but no culture is. However, overall, they are not difficult to get along with.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
FWIW, Osaka is way worse than Tokyo. And of course nothing I said disagrees with your statement that the Japanese are not hard to get along with: of course not, as soon as you have established some sort of relationship where each person can place the other in hierarchy and responsibility, there are clear rules on how each will treat each other. And since the Japanese are really good at following rules, there won't be many problems. I think it would be better if they just replaced all the silly class/status/relationship based rules with one overall rule that says "treat everyone well," but...

You make a good point that the countryside is going to be different than the big cities, as people are less rushed. But overall, the cultural problem with not acknowledging the existence or "rights" of strangers is pervasive everywhere I've ever been in Japan.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
stephens said:
FWIW, Osaka is way worse than Tokyo. And of course nothing I said disagrees with your statement that the Japanese are not hard to get along with: of course not, as soon as you have established some sort of relationship where each person can place the other in hierarchy and responsibility, there are clear rules on how each will treat each other. And since the Japanese are really good at following rules, there won't be many problems. I think it would be better if they just replaced all the silly class/status/relationship based rules with one overall rule that says "treat everyone well," but...

You make a good point that the countryside is going to be different than the big cities, as people are less rushed. But overall, the cultural problem with not acknowledging the existence or "rights" of strangers is pervasive everywhere I've ever been in Japan.

I was in Osaka last year and my jaw dropped at the amount of times people went out of their way to assist me. I asked people for directions and then basically held my hand (they didn't though) and walked me in the direction to where I was going and walked back. At the train station and looking to go to another part of Osaka, one guy came up to me (in good English), asked me where I was going and took me to the subway and showed me where to go.

9918_254579880061_892240061_8589287_368325_n.jpg

I love Japan, and the roads seemed wide enough for car and bike. At least they are not as bad as Vietnamese drivers. Crossing the road there is quite the art, let alone riding a bike.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Glad you enjoyed it. btw, just to clarify, I don't want to give the impression that cycling isn't safe in Japan. I rode a bike nearly everyday for six years since I didn't have a car and never had any problems with cars (though i will admit to avoiding streets that the buses use because it's often too narrow for both bus and bike to fit and gets a little sketchy...). I've never met anyone who didn't enjoy a trip to Japan, so by all means, anyone who is interested should go!

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
stephens said:
...I think it would be better if they just replaced all the silly class/status/relationship based rules with one overall rule that says "treat everyone well," but...

I see your point, but every culture has these kinds of rules. In Japan, they just happen to be more clearly defined. For example, you don't talk to a customer, the same way you would to a shop clerk or a child as you would to an adult or girlfriend and wife, boss and employee, etc. It's the same in whatever culture one belongs to. Grammar, syntax, clarity and so on often have subtle changes depending on relationship.

"Treat everyone well" is a wonderful idea, but anyone who has ever worked as a waitperson or in a gas station in the States knows how poorly they get treated based on perceived class/status.

TRENDING THREADS