• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Robbie McEwen´s book out October 11

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Martin318is said:
agreed.

The thing about Robbie though is that - like most sprinters in particular - you have to assess his behaviour in the hours before and after a race differently to his personality outside that timeframe. If you see him in most post race interviews you get the impression he would be tense, agressive and self centred all day every day.

I have met him a few times over the years away from race events - on and off the bike - and found him to be a pretty calm, chilled out guy who was interested in what other people were doing (training, life, etc).

Will happily be buying a copy!

I've met him several times off the bike and he has been very warm and friendly. I purchased one of his Green Tour jerseys a number of years back at the TDU and on the morning of the last stage he was well and truly last out of the hotel. Despite race time drawing near he was as friendly as anything, stopping for a prolonged chat, pointing out the various places in the jersey there were safety pin holes and various other marks. Happily posed for photos. Then casually rode off to the start of the last stage and did one of his trademark wins, coming from nowhere in the last few seconds.

Maxiton said:
Man, as soon as I post this I'm going over to Amazon to place my order. Love Robbie McEwen. He is always a treat to watch racing and funny as hell in an interview. Right up there with Jens Voigt when it comes to personality. And an authentic character, to boot.

I like how he never took any mess from anybody, once offering a free knuckle sandwich to even the feared Armstrong. He got away with it, too - probably because he meant it. I'm sure it'll be a great book.

EDIT: Available for pre-order at Amazon's US store. Will be released in the US on Feb 1, 2012. Will be released in the UK Nov. 15, 2011.

:D I had forgotten about this! love it. There was a photo posted on the forum of this not long ago I think...not sure where...
Robbie took no guff from anyone...not even the padrone...

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
mewmewmew13 said:
:D I had forgotten about this! love it. There was a photo posted on the forum of this not long ago I think...not sure where...
Robbie took no guff from anyone...not even the padrone...

This a great story.

Lance having a nature break - Robbie rides off/attacks which everway you look at in.

After the stage Armstrong all in his face blah blah blah I´m in Yellow blah blah you attacked blah blah

Robbie says shut you face or I will put my fist in your mouth.

Armstrong leaves.

a few years later Robbie rides for Radioshack :eek:

the book is available on kindle.

Is actually quite good. I really enjoyed it.

He is very full of himself - but as explained already I guess that is to be expected from him :p

He actually described his relationship with Lance Armstrong as quite good - and he called Lance when the whole Pegasus thing fell through, and Lance set up the deal with Radioshack ....

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Robbie is quite full of himself. He tries to compre him winning two stages of the tour with Pettachi winning nine stages at the giro. The book is really edgy which is good. He says what he thinks and even if his version of events are a bit warped with his ego. It is definetly better than Cadel's book. Rob Arnold didn't do a great job with Cadel's book. Too much fluff imo that wasn't really necessary.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
this one i will read it because i know it's not about snitching people,revealing doping just for making money and other bullshiit.robbie has a lot of money,happy familly,always a true pro and enourmous classy rider.

I often ride past his house on the Gold Coast, and the café that he owns (his parents run it IIRC), and where his house located, land and houses have been sold for more han several million dollars. It's a nice house though, built by the construction company that he part owns.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Robbie is quite full of himself. He tries to compre him winning two stages of the tour with Pettachi winning nine stages at the giro. The book is really edgy which is good. He says what he thinks and even if his version of events are a bit warped with his ego. It is definetly better than Cadel's book. Rob Arnold didn't do a great job with Cadel's book. Too much fluff imo that wasn't really necessary.

I mean this with respect ACF, but Rob Arnold is a bigger Cadel fanboy than what you are. Partos the book in my view were just cringeworthy.

just some guy said:
robbiemcewen_BOOK_JKT_TPB-3D.jpg

ONE WAY ROAD

Good to see that sales pitch talks about the Giro as well:p

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
I mean this with respect ACF, but Rob Arnold is a bigger Cadel fanboy than what you are. Partos the book in my view were just cringeworthy.

Nope, nobody can be a bigger fanboy than me!:D

The parts that people like Cadel, Chiara, Charlie Wegelius & some other people wrote were quite interesting but I just don't think it was well written.

No need to insult alejet

greenedge said:
And the fact for most years he completed every GT unlike Petacchi.

Sure you're not confusing Cipollini w/ Petacchi?

It's fine to cheer McEwen, but no need to insult Petacchi, who's won the points classifications at the Giro, the Tour and the Vuelta during his career...

auscyclefan94 said:

Cadel's book was premature imo and should have waited til he is either retired or as close to it as Robbie.

Looking forward to Robbie's book though. Not sure how 'warped' his opinion will be, but then again, we only get the media version until this

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Archibald said:
Cadel's book was premature imo and should have waited til he is either retired or as close to it as Robbie.

Looking forward to Robbie's book though. Not sure how 'warped' his opinion will be, but then again, we only get the media version until this

Cadel book was a fluff piece imo - but as you say was a little premature.

Robbies book will be on the Christmas reading list :D

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Archibald said:

I just said that because he seems to talk up how awesome he is and talks up continually how he is the best all the time. The stories are interesting but he comes off as a victim imo. People could see it completely different to me but that's my perception of this book.

auscyclefan94 said:
I just said that because he seems to talk up how awesome he is and talks up continually how he is the best all the time. The stories are interesting but he comes off as a victim imo. People could see it completely different to me but that's my perception of this book.

I dont really see it as a victim thing - I think he does see that other people see things differently, and that perhaps he was too blame for some incidents. He even acknowledges that part of his personality .....

but he certainly believes that he is/was the best. The whole "I am the fastest so "xxx" should have just got out of my way" comes through a whole lot !!!! In talking about the Zolder World Champs he honestly believes that Zabel should not have fought him for Cipolini's wheel - as he thinks he could have won and Zabel could not ...... so Zabel should have just accepted that.

He did say something interesting about the 2010 TdF and the incident with Cancellara neutralising the stage. Said that Cance told the riders that the Director neutralised it, so no points to ride for, and told the Director that the riders were 'protesting' and neutralising.

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Just finished the book and as autobiographies go it was one of the better ones.
He has strong opinions about himself and others and is very honest in his reasons for these. If you read it you will gain some great insight of the life in, and the workings of the Peloton.

Do I understand Mr McEwen better? Yes. Did I enjoy the read? Yes, I finished it in three sessions. So for my two cents worth its a good entertaining read that I know that I will read again, thats about the best recommendation I could give any book.

Read it in 1 day of getting driven around the Gold Coast being chaffered ( by my parents ). It was interesting and i liked how it melded together. I wonder if O'Grady agrees about Robbies' POV about their incident in 05. Robbie also portrays himself as very fast even in 08 and 09 which probably exposes his views that he was unfairly treated.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
AussieGoddess said:
I dont really see it as a victim thing - I think he does see that other people see things differently, and that perhaps he was too blame for some incidents. He even acknowledges that part of his personality .....

but he certainly believes that he is/was the best. The whole "I am the fastest so "xxx" should have just got out of my way" comes through a whole lot !!!! In talking about the Zolder World Champs he honestly believes that Zabel should not have fought him for Cipolini's wheel - as he thinks he could have won and Zabel could not ...... so Zabel should have just accepted that.

He did say something interesting about the 2010 TdF and the incident with Cancellara neutralising the stage. Said that Cance told the riders that the Director neutralised it, so no points to ride for, and told the Director that the riders were 'protesting' and neutralising.

At the AIS, with Rabobank, with Damiani, with Australian selectors, with Zabel, with O'Grady, with Cadel & with Katusha he often seems to play the victim in all of this and other people are wrong. He also has a massive self enflated ego of himself. And then th parts that people in a sprint should simply let him through because 'he is faster'.

TRENDING THREADS