• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Robbie McEwen

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
the problem here is this:
McKewan rode for a bunch of dirty teams. All sprinters are dirty. His career was 1996-2011 (the last few years really winding down) essentially during the EPO and steroid era (making no comment on current era) of Festina and Lance. Likewise there is not the slightest shred of "proof", whiff or innuendo against the guy (which we all know means nowt).

My view is enjoy the racing he gave us over many years, a supreme bike handler perhaps the best of his generation, a tactical genius taking full advantage of more organised teams leadouts and other sprinters too early jumps, and with impeccable timing, you hardly ever saw the guy until the last 10m. His commentating at the TdU left the Phil and Paul looking like washed up has beens, a breath of fresh air.

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
sittingbison said:
the problem here is this:
McKewan rode for a bunch of dirty teams. All sprinters are dirty. His career was 1996-2011 (the last few years really winding down) essentially during the EPO and steroid era (making no comment on current era) of Festina and Lance. Likewise there is not the slightest shred of "proof", whiff or innuendo against the guy (which we all know means nowt).

My view is enjoy the racing he gave us over many years, a supreme bike handler perhaps the best of his generation, a tactical genius taking full advantage of more organised teams leadouts and other sprinters too early jumps, and with impeccable timing, you hardly ever saw the guy until the last 10m. His commentating at the TdU left the Phil and Paul looking like washed up has beens, a breath of fresh air.

Nice summary. Your last sentence is very impressive and leaves me wishing I had heard him overshadowing those nitwits.

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
I always thought sprinters used things like growth hormones rather than blood doping. What would EPO assist with in a bunch sprint? I know that it would help a lot with making time cuts on mountain stages, but specifically with regards to winning a sprint, how much can EPO help?

86TDFWinner said:
Nice!! Isn't McEwen's name brought up in Hamilton's book, or am I way off(probably am)?

It was O'Grady. Prior to the '98 Tour de Luxembourg, Hamilton described him as one of several guys 'gunning for the Tour de France'.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Alphabet said:
I always thought sprinters used things like growth hormones rather than blood doping. What would EPO assist with in a bunch sprint? I know that it would help a lot with making time cuts on mountain stages, but specifically with regards to winning a sprint, how much can EPO help?

How do you get to the end of the stage / race? By racing all of it. The easier it is to get to the sprint, the more snap you have left to sprint with.

EPO will help any cyclist racing on the road who responds.

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
By increasing endurance it could allow a sprinter to carry more muscles allowing them to put out more power in the sprint increasing their speed. How much I have no idea.
Indirectly having a sprint train on EPO I would think be a help as well.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
I think Robbie McEwan is a great character. He is great with the fans, I saw this first hand when the other pro riders thought they were to good to acknowledge the crowd. He was the first one to make an effort.

In regards to sprinters and EPO, didn't Erik Zabel confess using EPO back in 96..

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Hello from a long time lurker.
I've just been watching 2002 Tour highlights, in which prior to stage 18 (when Zabel and McEwan were basically tied on points in the green jersey comp) McEwan went on record as accusing LA of teaming up with T-Mobile to help Zabel in the sprint. According to Sherwen (not the most reliable source of course), there had been bad blood between McEwan and Armstrong prior to this.

In any case, come the last 5 ks, Postal basically put every one of their guys up at the front to form what was essentially a double lead out train for Zabel (who was pipped by McEwan). Ligget of course dismissed this, saying that they were just trying to keep LA up there so he didn't have any mishaps (despite the fact that he was nowhere to be seen, they were in the last 3 ks, and pretty much every one of his team was giving it full gas at the front).

Not strictly relevant, but interesting. Maybe. I was just picking up on the point that LA and McEwan weren't best buds, as outlined by someone else on this thread.

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
Mr.38% said:
EPO for sprinters is equivalent to soccer or tennis players...

Not really, I think EPO does far more for footballers than it does for sprinters. You can still be a world-class footballer with moderate technical ability but immense physical ability. Ramires is an example of that. Of course, you can't be a Messi-like iconic, generation defining figure from doping alone, but you can still be up there as one of the better players in the world.

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Edwardsc said:
Hello from a long time lurker.
I've just been watching 2002 Tour highlights, in which prior to stage 18 (when Zabel and McEwan were basically tied on points in the green jersey comp) McEwan went on record as accusing LA of teaming up with T-Mobile to help Zabel in the sprint. According to Sherwen (not the most reliable source of course), there had been bad blood between McEwan and Armstrong prior to this.

In any case, come the last 5 ks, Postal basically put every one of their guys up at the front to form what was essentially a double lead out train for Zabel (who was pipped by McEwan). Ligget of course dismissed this, saying that they were just trying to keep LA up there so he didn't have any mishaps (despite the fact that he was nowhere to be seen, they were in the last 3 ks, and pretty much every one of his team was giving it full gas at the front).

Not strictly relevant, but interesting. Maybe. I was just picking up on the point that LA and McEwan weren't best buds, as outlined by someone else on this thread.

Wasn't there something about McEwen attacking while Lance was taking a comfort stop or the other way round or something? Vague memory of reading something on it.

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
Robbie has signed my shop's toilet wall, twice. Therefore, cleaner than a dust proof room at NASA's Jet Propulsion Labs. ;)

Please, please, please SBS; McEwan and Keenan for the TdF, we don't need muppets.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Alphabet said:
Fair enough. But I still don't think EPO alone could transform an average sprinter into a world-class one.
you're kidding yourself.

ask farrar if he is happy at coming second to Cav after Cav held on over Cat2 or Cat1 mtns, to come back to the bunch after being dropped by a grupetto* which made the sprint for the win.

*a grupetto which had pulled back anyone to sprint for the win on the flat

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
you have to make the finish to sprint for the win.

No one doubts Cav is the fastest, and has the longest terminal velocity thanks to his aero profile. But come on, if he was dropped or DNF'ed he would not be winning would he.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
badboyberty said:
Robbie has signed my shop's toilet wall, twice. Therefore, cleaner than a dust proof room at NASA's Jet Propulsion Labs. ;)

Please, please, please SBS; McEwan and Keenan for the TdF, we don't need muppets.
is that "signed" the walls, euphemism euphemism inverted commas quotation marks?

like, a glory hole? Alan Jones?

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
simo1733 said:
Someone like Guardini would benefit from EPO.He is one of the fastest but only for short stages.

They would all benefit from it immensely. "Sprinters" in road cycling are more correctly termed fast-finishers. Endurance is the most qualifying factor they need to have to even be in the pro leagues - particularly grand tours. Completely different from track cycling where we have "real" sprinters.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
and their are some domestic recreation riders who can take guys like Leigh Howard in a two-up mano a mano sprint.

see melbourne-ballarat about 4 years back

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Wallace and Gromit said:
I would think Farrar would be ecstatic to finish second to Cav in any circumstances. Usually 4th or 5th is the best he can hope for in a bunch sprint featuring all the contenders.

That's if he manages to stay on his bike.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Wallace and Gromit said:
I would think Farrar would be ecstatic to finish second to Cav in any circumstances. Usually 4th or 5th is the best he can hope for in a bunch sprint featuring all the contenders.
I think Farrar lost Giro victories because Cav got back on, after being dropped by a grupetto, then holding on ;)

these Giro victories would translate into big bonuses in his contract, and future contracts. In 2011 Farrar was the dominant #2 in the peloton. Perhaps not so more.

this was just a rebuttal to the false claim that EPO is not needed by a sprinter. ofcourse it is.

TRENDING THREADS