• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Roche and Zabel ?

fatandfast said:
Thank god Pablo Escabar is gone or he had a chance. Good work UCI

Who do you think they should have gotten instead? I mean, really, on the scale of 1 to dirty in cycling terms, they're alot closer to 1. They're replacing Indurain, among others, who I'm pretty sure was a ways away from the '1' side of the scale...

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
skidmark said:
Who do you think they should have gotten instead? I mean, really, on the scale of 1 to dirty in cycling terms, they're alot closer to 1. They're replacing Indurain, among others, who I'm pretty sure was a ways away from the '1' side of the scale...
Why does the promotion of UCI/Pro Tour have to be done by a cyclist? Are all directors actors ? or in the reverse. Thank god Lucas and Spielberg never had to act 1st. All the great skilled professionals organizing the Tour, Giro all had to be ex racers, we should all hope not. The guys running the Yankees are all ex ball players ? No F'in way. Totally different skill set. If the current and former peleton's are the only place to get recruits to be executives, no wonder the sport can't grow without an every other year drug belch. Zabel should have to sit out of any cycling job for 2 years just like everybody else. Admission even after the fact still makes you guilty, nice guy sure,drug user, I guess so since that what he said. Guys in team cars and front offices should have to be punished with whatever tools are available. Andre Agassi should not be able to coach kids after saying he smoked crystal and then lied to his federation. I see your point if everything you have to choose from is a turd pick the least stinky one to sit next to at meetings. Keep on doing what your doing keep on getting what your getting. Picking drug users for key roles will probably get you more of the same,more drug users

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
riders voted, or sorry asked with the special handshake to join the UCI top table/boys club.

yes these guys have been good bikers, but to direct the future of the sport?
make decisions that will affect each and every biker on the planet?

Agree with the above- why not educated professionals who dont have a doping history

fatandfast said:
Why does the promotion of UCI/Pro Tour have to be done by a cyclist? Are all directors actors ? or in the reverse. Thank god Lucas and Spielberg never had to act 1st. All the great skilled professionals organizing the Tour, Giro all had to be ex racers, we should all hope not. The guys running the Yankees are all ex ball players ? No F'in way. Totally different skill set. If the current and former peleton's are the only place to get recruits to be executives, no wonder the sport can't grow without an every other year drug belch. Zabel should have to sit out of any cycling job for 2 years just like everybody else. Admission even after the fact still makes you guilty, nice guy sure,drug user, I guess so since that what he said. Guys in team cars and front offices should have to be punished with whatever tools are available. Andre Agassi should not be able to coach kids after saying he smoked crystal and then lied to his federation. I see your point if everything you have to choose from is a turd pick the least stinky one to sit next to at meetings. Keep on doing what your doing keep on getting what your getting. Picking drug users for key roles will probably get you more of the same,more drug users

The problem is the boys club, not that they aren't qualified.

Naturally being a top level cyclist for a decade does gives them the ability to do a job... But any semi-pro with corporate qualifications would be better.

I do like the idea of searching out beyond cycling's inner circle for leadership. And I definitely like the idea of finding anti-dopers to head the UCI, but the picks could have been much worse. I think because both guys are viewed as being friendly, and both speak a few languages, their names rose to the top. Besides, looking for an ex-racer between the age of about 35 and 50 who never doped, I believe Christophe Bassons and Giles Delion are working elsewhere.

People are missing the silver lining in all this. Here's a cut and paste:

UPTC that are appointed by the UCI, four memberships have been modified. Felice Gimondi, Miguel Indurain, Rudolf Scharping and Hein Verbruggen will no longer assist the council's president

This right there is a huge step in the right direction, even though he's not completely gone. Continuing on, there's more interesting news...

...but will be replaced by: Roger Legeay, Ramón Mendiburu, Stephen Roche and Erik Zabel.

Legay was the former DS of Peugeot, Z, Gan, then CA. When he raced, back in 1974 he was positive for amphetamines. But his teams ran a fairly tight ship in recent years, so it's hard to say what we're going to get from him.

Two members represent the riders (Dario Cioni, Céric Vasseur)...

Both ended up in at least one doping scandal in their career, though for the most part cleared.

...two represent race organisers (Michael Hinz, Charly Mottet)...

Now that's good news. Mottet, according to Willy Voet, was pretty much clean and anti-doping his entire career, even during the EPO era, and by all accounts a sharp guy.

two represent the teams (Roberto Amadio, Jonathan Vaughters)

We all know who JV is, he's actually posted on here before. Amadio is the head of Liquigas. I would have preferred Eric Boyer.

All in all, I'd say it is a small step in the right direction, and a bigger step to get Hein further from cycling. In all we should perhaps be lucky, we could have Hein taking on a bigger role, the riders represented by any number of riders who do everything to uphold and enforce the omerta, and the teams represented by Patrick Lefevere and Johan Brunyeel!

TRENDING THREADS