• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rock racing

May 14, 2009
Visit site
I understood they were going to be a split squad, some based Europe and some in North America. North America seems to be racing alot (Chadwick, Pena, Mancebo etc), but Europe I never see in any races.

I know Aaron Kemps flew out three months ago to compete for them in Spain and the rest of the continent (mainly Spain i understand). Has he and Rock been racing in smaller events not covered on this site?

Glockers said:
I know Aaron Kemps flew out three months ago to compete for them in Spain and the rest of the continent (mainly Spain i understand). Has he and Rock been racing in smaller events not covered on this site?

I know Aaron well. He's my facebook friend. The last status update was: "Went for a great 5 hour ride today. Great training session. Although have no idea what I'm training for".

So I guess as long as they kept paying him and his rent he'll take it.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I also don't see them getting invited to many races in Europe either. How much of a presence do they have lately go get invited to top-class races ?

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
pmcg76 said:
They have done a few races in Spain, cannot remember the exact ones, I think Asturias or even Madrid or both, not 100% sure. They done pretty well putting a few guys in the Top 10. Need to check the race results archives.

They seem to have most of their guys racing in Utah and other American venues. Rock's corporate cash flow is allegedly tight so they seem to be going for most exposure for the buck in the US. Don't know if that means anything for the long term but they've forced some riders off the team and required some to race as amateurs.

pmcg76 said:
They have done a few races in Spain, cannot remember the exact ones, I think Asturias or even Madrid or both, not 100% sure. They done pretty well putting a few guys in the Top 10. Need to check the race results archives.

I double checked these results, they put 3 guys in Top 10 in Madrid in July and actually won Asturias with Mancebo but that was back in May. They didnt do many races in Europe in between. They are definitely racing selectively because of budget constraints but I bet Sevilla and Mancebo are getting decent wages.

it's too bad about the budget problems, they have a good squad. they are the
"oakland raiders" of bike racing. i guess that's why i like them. they have gotten decent results in a lot of events. too bad about tyler, a real bummer there.:cool:

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Rock is dead (despite what the crotch of their shorts says)! They screw all the riders that the fans even care about (like Bahati) and have totally lost their fan base. They get a lot less press than they used to also. No one cares anymore. Michael Ball, don't let the door hit you in the ***. Goodbye. It was good while it lasted and while Ball treated his employees right. After he mistreated them, I say hit the road and don't come back.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
usedtobefast said:
it's too bad about the budget problems, they have a good squad. they are the
"oakland raiders" of bike racing. i guess that's why i like them. they have gotten decent results in a lot of events. too bad about tyler, a real bummer there.:cool:

Yeah, I feel really bad for the guys who cheat and then get caught. bad luck, eh?:rolleyes:

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
This team should have raced a Europe only schedule last year. Ball should be working for a circus and selling jeans in his spare time. Europe only would have squeezed them like the cycling pimple they are. This sport is built by Jr's/young riders that can grow to be pro and enthusiasts. Teams and directors that say that drug controls are too harsh or **** their guys out mid-season because denim sales are slow and then blame lack of performance are bad for the sport. Ball is a great guy and I will get his services if I need an 8ball but as for race direction and vision in the sport his head is farther up his *** now than when he started. Let your good riders go. The rest of your inked up dopers should get jobs in your retail shops.