• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rode 1382km / 857miles this week.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
The riders who survive the TdF first week will have ridden 1382km / 857miles.

Has anyone here done that kind of weekly mileage?
What are some forum members personal records?

My personal best was a 475 mile week, most of it a 600km PBP brevet.
The following week I barely rode.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I used to do a couple of training rides per month with a rider who had represented his country at the worlds several years earlier. He still would at certain times of the year be doing blocks of weekly mileages of 1,000km to 1,200km. (the scary thing is he still had the time and energy to own and run a bike shop)

All I know is that any time I have done more than around 800k in a week I have been pretty much ruined at the end of it.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Did the Raid Pyreneen from Hendaye to Cerbere, 720 klm in 4 and a half days.
Nearly threw my bike over a fence a couple of times on the 3rd and 4th day because I was completely stuffed.
Was in a daze at the end of every day thinking that it would be impossible for me to continue on.
Did the last 20 klm using just my right leg, my left leg was shot to pieces.
But loved every moment of it.

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
After doing Ironman Lake Placid I went up to Penticton to cheer on my team mates in IM Canada. I took my touring bike and rode home to San Francisco. I went through the Kootenays over to Banff and came down through the Rocky's to Waterton/Glacier NP. I cut over to Seattle (by train) from East Glacier. Longest day was 125 miles with quite a few over 100. I did Seattle to SF in 9 days, with a side trip through the Lost Coast (on dirt) and a few others just to get some altitude. I think I averaged 107 miles a day on that leg.

In my mind the it's not the total miles of the TDF riders that is impressive, it is the speed. Once you are acclimated to it, 100 - 120 miles a day isn't that big a deal.... if you take 10 hours to do it. Doing it in 4 and a half hours is impressive.

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
graviT said:
In my mind the it's not the total miles of the TDF riders that is impressive, it is the speed. Once you are acclimated to it, 100 - 120 miles a day isn't that big a deal.... if you take 10 hours to do it. Doing it in 4 and a half hours is impressive.

I agree completely. The easiest ride I've done all year was a 300km one-day event. I did it with a big group of guys from the office, none of whom are experienced riders and we were determined to ride as a group. Spent about 11hrs riding and only my hands started to get tired after a while.

Once you're experienced on the bike, distance is relatively easy, even though truly extreme distances are of course still a challenge. Speed is always hard, though, and elite racing where you have to follow others frequently dictating a pace you'd prefer not to ride is very hard. The intensity of pro racing is what keeps me interested, so I'm glad the sport has left the old 300-400km stages in the past. I do wish the tt's could be longer again, though...

May 6, 2009
Visit site
ergmonkey said:
I agree completely. The easiest ride I've done all year was a 300km one-day event. I did it with a big group of guys from the office, none of whom are experienced riders and we were determined to ride as a group. Spent about 11hrs riding and only my hands started to get tired after a while.

Once you're experienced on the bike, distance is relatively easy, even though truly extreme distances are of course still a challenge. Speed is always hard, though, and elite racing where you have to follow others frequently dictating a pace you'd prefer not to ride is very hard. The intensity of pro racing is what keeps me interested, so I'm glad the sport has left the old 300-400km stages in the past. I do wish the tt's could be longer again, though...

That's impressive mate. My longest ride this year was 212km and all my co-workers think I'm a lunatic (they do have a point TBF). Mind you, one of our regular posters, and expert on beer, Scott Socal did the full Tour of Flanders cyclo-sportive the day before the big race. Respect to anybody who rides 260km in that terrain :eek:

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Hotbrakes said:
Did the Raid Pyreneen from Hendaye to Cerbere, 720 klm in 4 and a half days.
Nearly threw my bike over a fence a couple of times on the 3rd and 4th day because I was completely stuffed.
Was in a daze at the end of every day thinking that it would be impossible for me to continue on.
Did the last 20 klm using just my right leg, my left leg was shot to pieces.
But loved every moment of it.

Words of a true cyclist, great stuff!

I used to average 1200k a week from 1985 to 2005. Ive slowed down now as I know my best days are behind me and its time to take it easy. Besides, car drivers have zero respect for cyclists in Melb, even those with bike racks on the roof. Its dangerous now.

I used to ride a heavy bike in training and never sit behind. That strategy meant that when I was racing, it was actually easier.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
1000.km a week training for a tour but that was a long time ago we now have new ideas and I love them .
Never done any good only advantage was to harden up the BuM for the tour.
makes you strong but not fast.
If you want to do a 2 hour turn on the front then do it otherwise forget it.
I say that because I cant do it now but I am still racing just as well.

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Mind you, one of our regular posters, and expert on beer, Scott Socal did the full Tour of Flanders cyclo-sportive the day before the big race. Respect to anybody who rides 260km in that terrain :eek:

I'm right with you on that. Unfortunately, our 300km event was not over such varied and challenging terrain, nor did it promise any authentic abbey ales upon completion. We did 300 of the flattest, most sheltered lakeside kilometers of my cycling career.

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Out of interest, where did you do the ride?

Vättern Rundan in Sweden. The ride does a big loop around one of Sweden's biggest lakes. It's a very well-run event in terms of aid stations, safe roads, etc. and gets an enormous participation from all sorts of people. The most impressive thing about the ride is seeing so many non-cyclists knock out 300 km on all types of bikes. In many ways, seeing that may have had a lot to do with me being so completely unimpressed with our own 25-30kph peloton on road racing bikes.

Anyway, at least 260 of the 300 kms are spent on smooth, flat, main roads completely surrounded by tall, densely-packed trees. That's about as easy (and, eventually, boring) as conditions get, I think--especially considering that a non-stop tailwind isn't very likely on a 360 degree loop. If you want to impress somebody by telling them how far you've ridden, then I strongly suggest doing this ride. The only other really good reason to do it is the "blueberry soup" available at every aid station.

http://www.vatternrundan.se/Default.aspx?module=4&content=5&lang=SV&fwsite=1

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Somewhere around 600 miles in one week.

We did a trip to France back in July 2008 that was 15 consecutive days of riding, starting with La Marmotte.

By the end we were totally shattered but it was over 1200 miles with over 140,000ft of climbing. Best cycling trip of my life.

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
A friend and member of our local club, John Newton, just finished the Elite PAC Tour: a 19 day, 3,000 mile tour across the US (and a RAAM qualifying event). The group averaged over 160 miles per day with the longest days in excess of 200 miles. John took the time to post a daily blog w/ pictures and Garmin logs that I think really capture the experience and emotions of an extreme endurance event like this.

I trained indoors with John over the winter and rode with him quite a bit as he prepared for this tour. The only thing more impressive than his performance on the bike - the guy can sustain well over 300 watts - was his dedication to the countless hours and miles of training he had to do in preparation.