• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rollers or Trainer

Which do you prefer

• Taking winter off completely

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

im debating which to get, this is why i wonder..
trainer looks more stable..

thinking wifewise as well if she wanted to exercise in the house i can see rollers being complicated.. :/

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
I've been using the same Kreitler rollers for almost 15 years, but I'm looking at trainers for movie watching. Over an hour on the rollers can get a bit dicey if you're doing any kind of intervals, and trying to watch something on the tube to cure the boredom. I'm really impressed with the Kurt Kinetic Rock and Roll trainer. This came out a few years ago when I was still working in the bike shops, and we used to have indoor training sessions with these. You can get up out of the saddle to relieve your bum, and the trainer will swing side to side with your natural motion. Good stuff!
Kurt-Kinetic-Rock-and-Roll.jpg

I suggest:

salomon-xa-pro-3d-xcr-trail-running-shoes.jpg

No where near as boring as riding a trainer or rollers.

I have both rollers and a trainer but have a hard time riding either of them long enough for a good workout. Winter sports like XC skiing, snow shoeing, ice biking, running, hiking, etc. are an easy way to stay in shape and mentally recharge during the cold months.

A

Anonymous

BroDeal said:
I suggest:

salomon-xa-pro-3d-xcr-trail-running-shoes.jpg

No where near as boring as riding a trainer or rollers.

I have both rollers and a trainer but have a hard time riding either of them long enough for a good workout. Winter sports like XC skiing, snow shoeing, ice biking, running, hiking, etc. are an easy way to stay in shape and mentally recharge during the cold months.

if the weather is good enough to run, its good enough to ride..
why anyone would ever want to run anywhere is beyond me.. i can run about 20 yards before my left knee aches.. 100 yards before the right goes..

Aug 14, 2009
Visit site
defintely ROLLERS.

I've had a trainer before because, simply, I was afraid of rollers but it never game me a good work out (though I didn't have the one that sways side to side). I would hardly break a sweat.

But with the rollers:

- I am concentrating on keeping my balance
- I cannot stop pedalling for more than 5-6 seconds or else I'm falling over sideways clipped in
- I am breaking a sweat 10 minutes in
- I can still pop in a DVD or catch up on my recorded TV shows

I think the extra challenge of holding your form and keeping balance makes it that much more of a realistic work out.

ROLLERS all the way.

i can run in any weather, but no bike to clean is why i do.i have used
rollers for close to ...a hella of a long time and they are way less boring
than my trainer. the trainer is stable and good for race warmup.
i can ride no hands and sprint on rollers, just need to have some where
to bail out if things go awry.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
So, the temperature dropped below 75 this week, so I'm having the best riding of the year. There are good thinga about the tropics.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I put about 600km out of 750km last month on a Kurt Kinetic trainer, unfortunately not the Rock and Roll. It is too dark in both the mornings and evenings to get outside during the work week, plus the temperatures are hovering around the 0-3C in Ottawa. While I try to get out on weekends, I have basically resorted to indoor training until March next year. I typically watch cycling DVDs during interval sessions and action movies during endurance/recovery sessions. It seems to get me through with a minimum of boredom. I have only ever used a trainer, but am saving up for a decent pair of rollers because I think this would provide better balance and variety compared to a trainer.

Other than the bike, I also run, cross country ski, skate, swim, weights, climb and yoga. This also keeps me from getting bored with trainer sessions on the bike.

A

Anonymous

im torn.. trainer be safer, and more interesting i can use it in the front room and watch tv (there are no free walls of space for roller use in the living room)

have a hallway that is narrow and perfect for rollers, but its damn boring, theres nothing to do in the hall..

Aug 14, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
im torn.. trainer be safer, and more interesting i can use it in the front room and watch tv (there are no free walls of space for roller use in the living room)

have a hallway that is narrow and perfect for rollers, but its damn boring, theres nothing to do in the hall..

got a laptop with a DVD player? place that thing on a stool, pop in a good DVD, and get rolling!

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Rollers are old school, ergo, they're a hell of a lot of fun and actually a good workout. Standard sized rollers (about a 3.5-4inch diameter drum) don't offer a lot of resistance unless you are up in a 53x16 at least. But they do teach you "ride"; the legs do the work, the rest of the body, relaxes and goes along for the ride. Kreitler has some smaller diameter drums (used to have two different diameters, not sure what's available now) that would offer significant resistance for you.

Starting out, a narrow hallway or doorframe is good, comforting in fact. After you understand the dynamics, basically, you just need a window ledge, chair or counter top to lean onto getting started and stopping. A tall chair back or bar stool would work just as well. The rest of the time, ride them no hands :D

I have both, simply because I accumulated them, I switch off between the two. As for a workout, I'm good for about an hour max. Needs to be structured, not just get on and grind. On rollers, get a fixed gear and do 15/15 spin ups, they'll get your heart rate up in a hurry and teach you how to sit on the bike and ride just as quick.

Don't worry about falling off rollers; we've all done it. No, you don't go shooting across the floor, you put a skid mark or two on the carpet then you just fall over.

Oh, that "boring nothing to do in the hall", that's exactly what you need for time trial training.

A

Anonymous

mercycle said:
Oh, that "boring nothing to do in the hall", that's exactly what you need for time trial training.

i could just print off the babes on bike thread and stick it to the walls..

A

Anonymous

TheDude said:
My wife would not go for that, but i like the thinking. BTW, what bike did you end up with.

kona, either jake, or dew drop depending on what the local bike shop do on price.. forms posted yesterday so just waiting for money..

dimspace said:
if the weather is good enough to run, its good enough to ride..

Maybe where you live. Here, right now, it is 14F. That has to be about -10C. It's also dark. I could go running right now. No way I would go riding. With daylight savings time, it can get dark around 5PM.

dimspace said:
why anyone would ever want to run anywhere is beyond me.. i can run about 20 yards before my left knee aches.. 100 yards before the right goes..

Running has a lot going for it. It is more time efficient than cycling. You can get a good workout in a half an hour. For whatever reason, I find that weight loss is easier with running. It helps bone density. It is a nice break from cycling. And it is hard, especially with hills.

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
For those currently using rollers.....

What brand of rollers are you using and would you recommend them?

If not, what brand of rollers would you recommend?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Hmmmmm said:
What brand of rollers are you using and would you recommend them?

If not, what brand of rollers would you recommend?

If you wanna go cheaper, I ride Minoura's which I love, just make sure you put on some older tyres, because they will chew new tyres right up.

TRENDING THREADS