• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Roma Maxima - Giro del Lazio 03.03.2013

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
movingtarget said:
The bunch took too long to organise the chase and even without race radios it's hard to believe the information about Kadri could not have come from a car riding beside the riders.

It might be hard to believe, but comments atfer the race suggest they didn't know. Why should they lie about it?

SafeBet said:
It might be hard to believe, but comments atfer the race suggest they didn't know. Why should they lie about it?

If they didn't know after Kadri was in front for so long is my point. Obviously the riders in front of the bunch knew including Nibali but Pozatto's team did not nor did Bole's team. They didn't have race radios but they drive alongside the riders. Very strange. Simply counting the breakaways would have been a start.

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
movingtarget said:
If they didn't know after Kadri was in front for so long is my point. Obviously the riders in front of the bunch knew including Nibali but Pozatto's team did not nor did Bole's team. They didn't have race radios but they drive alongside the riders. Very strange. Simply counting the breakaways would have been a start.

+1.

Entirely agree with this. They still have eyes and ears which is the way riders find out info in 90% of non professional races.

I think saying they didnt know = didn't bother to check until too late.

Years of radios has rendered the bunch totally incabable or reading a race or that old thing we used to call race craft.

Put simply the cleverest rider won on the day which is what its all about.

Same as at the Olympics :rolleyes:

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
manafana said:
Maybe riders should be able to listen to race radio, yes it improves racing that the team managers can not just shout down their ear but also can not have guys sprinting for 2nd thinking they are going for a win.

Impressive power from pozz considering he doesnt sprint in the full out style.

I totally agree with that, they should at least allow riders to listen to the race radio, so they know what is happening in the race, and at the same time they avoid the problem of DS telling them exactly what they have to do.

I think that in this situation Pozzato didn't know about kadri because on the last climb he was dropped by the bunch and was able to get back only at the end of the downhill, so that he thought that only Nibali group was still ahead.

But at least in Nibali group they surely knew Kadri was still away because i saw at least a couple of time that the motorbike gave riders information about time gaps.

Pippo won the sprint without even coming out of his saddle (meanwhile he was a bit sick and, according to himself, didn't have good legs). then you know for sure he will be right up there in the classics again this year.

And that finish photo is just epic.

LaFlorecita said:
Pippo was simply the fastest in the group at that moment. By the way you say that they let Pippo get 2nd :rolleyes: assuming that those other riders wouldn't like a second place :confused:
The premise is that most people knew Kadri was ahead, as I said before. Then it's not the same contesting fors 1st place and a podium place. Please read my post carefully next time. :rolleyes:

I'll take Safebet answer that nobody would've beaten Pippo anyway, and we'll leave it as that.

TRENDING THREADS