• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

Romain Bardet Discussion Thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 15, 2014
361
0
0
Re:

Brullnux said:
Bardet could just try to become the next Richard Virenque
In terms of persona, I couldn't think of someone more different from Virenque than Bardet. Bardet is smart, for starters.
 
May 15, 2014
361
0
0
Re: Re:

Tonton said:
@NL_LeMondFans said:
Brullnux said:
Bardet could just try to become the next Richard Virenque
In terms of persona, I couldn't think of someone more different from Virenque than Bardet. Bardet is smart, for starters.
I think Brullnux meant in terms of entertainment, aggressive riding ;) .
Fair enough. Bardet sure is entertaining, to say the least. That's why I hope he can find an opening on one day races. It's harder to shine on grand Tours when you're targeting GC.
 
Re: Re:

@NL_LeMondFans said:
Tonton said:
@NL_LeMondFans said:
Brullnux said:
Bardet could just try to become the next Richard Virenque
In terms of persona, I couldn't think of someone more different from Virenque than Bardet. Bardet is smart, for starters.
I think Brullnux meant in terms of entertainment, aggressive riding ;) .
Fair enough. Bardet sure is entertaining, to say the least. That's why I hope he can find an opening on one day races. It's harder to shine on grand Tours when you're targeting GC.
And to me (another analogy with Virenque - post ban), he could go for the polka dot in the Tour, forget the GC, since the best he can realistically get is a 5th place or so.
 
Re: Re:

Tonton said:
@NL_LeMondFans said:
Tonton said:
@NL_LeMondFans said:
Brullnux said:
Bardet could just try to become the next Richard Virenque
In terms of persona, I couldn't think of someone more different from Virenque than Bardet. Bardet is smart, for starters.
I think Brullnux meant in terms of entertainment, aggressive riding ;) .
Fair enough. Bardet sure is entertaining, to say the least. That's why I hope he can find an opening on one day races. It's harder to shine on grand Tours when you're targeting GC.
And to me (another analogy with Virenque - post ban), he could go for the polka dot in the Tour, forget the GC, since the best he can realistically get is a 5th place or so.
He is only 25 I wouldn't write him of so soon for a Tour podium in the future. The older guard is aging, he has some time yet to improve while their powers decline. Sure there is Nairito and Aru still on the upswing but so is he. I like his style!
 
I like his style of riding, but I don't see him make enough progress in ITT to be competitive in a GT, i.e. podium. It's not just Nairito or Aru, but between Pinot, Landa, TJVG, Dumoulin maybe, and all the Sky guys that keep popping out of the woodwork, Porte, Gerrans..that's a lot of customers for a top-5. I really hope that I'm wrong.
 
Tonton said:
I like his style of riding, but I don't see him make enough progress in ITT to be competitive in a GT, i.e. podium. It's not just Nairito or Aru, but between Pinot, Landa, TJVG, Dumoulin maybe, and all the Sky guys that keep popping out of the woodwork, Porte, Gerrans..that's a lot of customers for a top-5. I really hope that I'm wrong.
Well I think you're wrong about Porte and Gerrans. Did you mean Geraint Thomas? TJVG regularly disappoints. Tom D. and Landa if he learns to TT, maybe.

Romain just needs to work the TT religiously to become at least adequate.
 
Carols said:
Tonton said:
I like his style of riding, but I don't see him make enough progress in ITT to be competitive in a GT, i.e. podium. It's not just Nairito or Aru, but between Pinot, Landa, TJVG, Dumoulin maybe, and all the Sky guys that keep popping out of the woodwork, Porte, Gerrans..that's a lot of customers for a top-5. I really hope that I'm wrong.
Well I think you're wrong about Porte and Gerrans. Did you mean Geraint Thomas? TJVG regularly disappoints. Tom D. and Landa if he learns to TT, maybe.

Romain just needs to work the TT religiously to become at least adequate.
Thomas. I stand corrected. Sorry. I'm following the Tour La Provence at the same time. A lot of action.
 
Aug 6, 2015
2,963
0
0
French riders are so overrated nowadays... he was beaten by galopin, izaguirre. And these guys aren't climbers at all. He won't make a top 10 in le tour.
 
Re:

portugal11 said:
French riders are so overrated nowadays... he was beaten by galopin, izaguirre. And these guys aren't climbers at all. He won't make a top 10 in le tour.
Gallopin (with two l) is French... :D , so you're saying that a French guy is overrated because another French guy beat him? :confused: Very smart, my friend, very smart... :D
 
Well. If Bardet's really wants to target a top 10 / top 5 spot at the TdF only. I really really hope Ag2R just sends up the road Pozzovivo in about every mountainous stage and keeps with Pikachu as super-domestique for Romain. Because if AG2R ain't gonna win the polka dot competition with either Pozzo or Bardet their TdF is a complete tactical failure for me. Even if Bardet reaches a top 5 gc spot and lands a stage win. They just got 2 riders absolutely capable of doing longe-range mountain attacks and winning the polka-dot jersey in great fashion once again. The simply have to use it from my pov!
 
Mar 14, 2016
2,400
1
0
Re:

Alexandre B. said:
Smart last km today. He didn't burnt himself and he's in the first GC group (assuming Dan Martin will fade in a tougher summit finish tomorrow).

His first podium at WT level is reachable.
Don't assume too much, buddy.
 
2014 -> Tour of Oman (13th), Paris-Nice (36th), Volta a Catalunya (4th)
2015 -> Vuelta a Andalucia (5th), Paris-Nice (14th), Volta a Catalunya (DNF)
2016 -> Tour of Oman (2nd), Paris-Nice (9th), Volta a Catalunya (6th)
13 top-10 at the moment.

For the first time in his career, he's showing consistency before the first goal of his season (the Ardennes).
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS