• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Romain Bardet Discussion Thread

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Kokoso said:
Alexandre B. said:
I'm sure he will unleash some fire in the stage to Le Lioran.
Sound like he dislikes Cance. He stressed difference between young generation and...the other generation, but picks Sagan out similar to Cance.

I think the implication is that he regards Sagan as a different kind of patron -- someone who tries to speak up for the interests of the peloton, but in a different style.

Kokoso said:
Alexandre B. said:
Sound like he dislikes Cance. He stressed difference between young generation and...the other generation, but picks Sagan out similar to Cance.

Anyway, I've liked Pinot more but recentyl I really begin to like Bardet more. They both are likeable though.

With the single difference that he stated that half of the peloton doesn't like Cancellara, while Sagan gets the sympathy of almost all of it.

I have a feeling that both Yates and Martin will have atleast one or two bad days this tour, so I think Bardet will have a good chance of getting on the podium this year. But then again, Bardet has not yet shown being extremely consistent in a GT.

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Bardamu said:
I have a feeling that both Yates and Martin will have atleast one or two bad days this tour, so I think Bardet will have a good chance of getting on the podium this year. But then again, Bardet has not yet shown being extremely consistent in a GT.
Problem is, as you say Bardet does have bad days it's a known fact same for Martin, Yates is an unknown but he seems to hang on even when not great (stage 8), what's more Bardet tt will let him down against the likes of Porte I think a top 5 would be a great achievement having missed out by so little 2 years ago.

Ramon Koran said:
Bardamu said:
Problem is, as you say Bardet does have bad days it's a known fact same for Martin, Yates is an unknown but he seems to hang on even when not great (stage 8), what's more Bardet tt will let him down against the likes of Porte I think a top 5 would be a great achievement having missed out by so little 2 years ago.
True, but apart from Porte, most riders going for third place don't have great TT's.
And I'm not sure why, but I just don't think Porte will manage to finish third. Due it to bad luck or just another off-day which he seems to have a patent on.

Porte ain't no gc rider and I'm highly surprised if he ain't gonna crack completely anywhere in the Alps.

Bardet might fade a bit in the third week, since he already came to the Dauphine in quite good shape. He might as well keep his shape and target a podium spot of course.

Let's consider this after tomorrow. There ain't no judgment spoken even regarding Fabio Aru. Normally he's still the guy I see on the podium as long as his shape is any good. I considered it ain't no good at all already this morning. But he might surprise me.

TJVG, Mollema, Yates, Martin etc pp there are just too many guys still close together that in absolutely prime shape are perfectly capable of getting onto the podium.

It's difficult to prognose anything right now.

I'm hoping that Bardet lands on the podium this year. He does seem to have taken it up a notch lately. His accelerations toward the end of the Dauphine -- not to mention his recent attack on the Peyresourde that permanently dislodged Contatdor -- have been sharper than anything he's done so far in a major race.

lenric said:
Kokoso said:
Alexandre B. said:

Anyway, I've liked Pinot more but recentyl I really begin to like Bardet more. They both are likeable though.

With the single difference that he stated that half of the peloton doesn't like Cancellara, while Sagan gets the sympathy of almost all of it.
Why is that? Seriously.

Bardamu said:
lenric said:
Kokoso said:
Alexandre B. said:

Why is that? Seriously.

Try writing names like "Spartacus" and "Tony Montana" on your bike and see how people react. ;)

Re:

staubsauger said:
Porte ain't no gc rider and I'm highly surprised if he ain't gonna crack completely anywhere in the Alps.

Bardet might fade a bit in the third week, since he already came to the Dauphine in quite good shape. He might as well keep his shape and target a podium spot of course.

Let's consider this after tomorrow. There ain't no judgment spoken even regarding Fabio Aru. Normally he's still the guy I see on the podium as long as his shape is any good. I considered it ain't no good at all already this morning. But he might surprise me.

TJVG, Mollema, Yates, Martin etc pp there are just too many guys still close together that in absolutely prime shape are perfectly capable of getting onto the podium.

It's difficult to prognose anything right now.

Yates is the surprise. Porte is doing what he always threatened to do but of course he has the bad luck to go with it. I still think Mollema, Yates and Quintana are vulnerable but oddly Yates looks the best of the three of them and Bardet who impressed me in the Dauphine is also doing well. Porte needs a good TT and he looks like moving up further. Quintana has not got it this year as he showed on the earlier climbs last week. He won't improve now and could miss the top five if he has a bad day.

Re:

yaco said:
Barnet is doing what I expected and should finish top 5 if he does a decent TT.

Wind-tunnel tests have shown that replacing your "d" with an "n" can dramatically reduce drag. ;)

Seriously, though, I'm pulling for him. It's hard to see him leapfrogging onto the podium; Yates would have to crack dramatically, Quintana to crack further, and Porte to cease seemingly unstoppable ascent. But the stage to Joux-Plane/Morzine should suit RB, since it's the ultimate climb-and-then-plummit finish.

Re:

claude cat said:
I think Bardet has overtaken Pinot as France's best hope of a GT win in the near future.

It's pretty clear now. He will be the next French podium in a GT. Pinot struggles too much with the three weeks but he got it right in 2014 for some reason but without Contador and Froome of course. Bardet has improved more than Pinot.

movingtarget said:
claude cat said:
I think Bardet has overtaken Pinot as France's best hope of a GT win in the near future.

It's pretty clear now. He will be the next French podium in a GT. Pinot struggles too much with the three weeks but he got it right in 2014 for some reason but without Contador and Froome of course. Bardet has improved more than Pinot.
Hold on guys...head to head, Pinot beats Bardet just about every time, including that stage in the Dauphine. Pinot seems to have a mono, now you guys write him off. Like some now questioning Quintana. BS IMO.

Having said that, I was cheering for Romain today, yelling and screaming. If he doesn't lose a bunch of time tomorrow, he'll be fine. The race for a podium is wide open. His ITT is below par, mountains help, what can he do vs. Mollema, Yates, and more importantly Porte? We shall see.

Romain Bardet can be on the podium in Paris.

Tonton said:
movingtarget said:
claude cat said:

Hold on guys...head to head, Pinot beats Bardet just about every time, including that stage in the Dauphine. Pinot seems to have a mono, now you guys write him off. Like some now questioning Quintana. BS IMO.

Having said that, I was cheering for Romain today, yelling and screaming. If he doesn't lose a bunch of time tomorrow, he'll be fine. The race for a podium is wide open. His ITT is below par, mountains help, what can he do vs. Mollema, Yates, and more importantly Porte? We shall see.

Romain Bardet can be on the podium in Paris.

I am not writing off Pinot and I know he has been ill. I just think Bardet is the better option over three weeks. He does not get sick as much either. I hope they both improve as that would make the GTs more interesting than they are at the moment. There are already signs that things will change soon with the Yates brothers, Chaves and a few other riders on the way up. Rodriguez, Contador and Valverde are the last of the old guard. Zakarin might be another one who can be podium material.

Re:

Alexandre B. said:
Is the podium a reasonable hope?

Mollema -2'17"
Yates -1'19"
Quintana -1'05"
Valverde -47"
Van Garderen -45"
[...]
Porte +23"

I think it is, even if Mollema could be untouchable. He and his team have to be smart and offensive.
Update

Mollema -1'05"
Yates -41"
Quintana -20"
[...]
Porte +3"
Aru +1'11"

The hope is still there.

It will be difficult to contain Porte (unless bad day).
Aru has done better than Bardet for the first time in this race, but it's only 9 seconds so unless he finds the magical form I'm confident.
I'm sure he will finish ahead of Mollema, which is a 'lesser' rider (no offense, Bauke).
Quintana and Yates are question marks.

Re:

Alexandre B. said:
It will be difficult to contain Porte (unless bad day).
Aru has done better than Bardet for the first time in this race, but it's only 9 seconds so unless he finds the magical form I'm confident.
I'm sure he will finish ahead of Mollema, which is a 'lesser' rider (no offense, Bauke).
Quintana and Yates are question marks.

Quintana will leak more time for sure. He is getting worse not better. I think Porte, Bardet and Aru can smell blood as it seems that Yates and Mollema are starting to weaken. Tomorrow will be big test for them