• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Romain Bardet Discussion Thread

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

SeriousSam said:
Is there any precedent for Bardet being very good when it's a steep ramp or can we read that Bardet just getting stronger relative to the others, which would be great even though he'd easily be France's best GC rider regardless
6th in LBL with most of the riders who beat him absent or dropped by the climbs
2nd behind Valverde (ahead of Urán, Woods and Meintjes) on the steeper version of Arrate in País Vasco
2nd behind Chaves (but ahead of Urán and Aru) on San Luca in the Giro dell'Emilia
3rd on Montée Laurent-Jalabert in 2015 (infamous Cummings mugging after Bardet and Pinot were strongest at the summit then looked at each other)
3rd to Hazallanas in the Ruta del Sol in 2015 (albeit some way behind Froome/Contador)
4th to Winklmoosalm in the Bayernrundfahrt in 2014

With his wins at places like Pra-Loup too, it seems this "long climb-short descent-short climb" format suits him well, and he's got a decent record on short-to-mid but steepish climbs.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
therealtimshady said:
Itv4 reporting and showed tv evidence of bardet taking a bottle inside the last 10k and expect like uran and Bennett a 20 second time penalty

Commissars looked and Bardet didn't drink from the bottle. They say the penalty is for refueling so that exempts Bardet.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Poursuivant said:
deValtos said:
therealtimshady said:
Itv4 reporting and showed tv evidence of bardet taking a bottle inside the last 10k and expect like uran and Bennett a 20 second time penalty

Commissars looked and Bardet didn't drink from the bottle. They say the penalty is for refueling so that exempts Bardet.

I think he will get penalised when they see the footage from the front.

Ah yea there's some more footage shown on ITV4 that apparently has him drinking (though I have not seen said footage.)

If that is the case then yea you can not treat Bardet and Uran differently.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Alexandre B. said:
carton said:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BWfuMaEB8-3/
Via (who else) JV.

Love it when he's being a knat that ASO can't quite swat.
What a sad character he is.

Whatever happens, they won't took away his stage win.

I won't defend JV for many things but for reals ... if you have a contender in your team that has been singled out for a penalty where someone else who is also contending for the same place gets away scott free I think I'd bring that up to no? A TDF win is up for grabs, I don't think you let UCI jury incompetence slide like that.

Alexandre B. said:
carton said:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BWfuMaEB8-3/
Via (who else) JV.

Love it when he's being a knat that ASO can't quite swat.
What a sad character he is.

Whatever happens, they won't took away his stage win.
maybe they withdraw penalties fro Uran/Bennet :D
is just every pro cycling organization just a bad joke or what? constant incompetency, constant inconsistency.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Rollthedice said:
Isn't it that you can take a bottle from a spectator but it is forbidden to get one from your team? Uran got one from a Cannondale guy while Bardet clearly has one from a fan.

"Marien's first response was that he didn’t care if the feed came from a small child or anyone, the penalty would still be the same"

Not to mention Uran didn't even get his bottle from a team member.

Re: Re:

deValtos said:
Rollthedice said:
Isn't it that you can take a bottle from a spectator but it is forbidden to get one from your team? Uran got one from a Cannondale guy while Bardet clearly has one from a fan.

"Marien's first response was that he didn’t care if the feed came from a small child or anyone, the penalty would still be the same"

Who is Marien? JV recognized Uran did get the bottle from a team employee.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

Rollthedice said:
deValtos said:
Rollthedice said:

Who is Marien? JV recognized Uran did get the bottle from a team employee.

Cannondale employee to be correct, he isn't part of the team staff, they don't know the guy. JV says the team staff would not make that mistake as they were all briefed. But ok I can see that being an issue.

Marien is the head of the UCI jury on this race.

You also have Bennet who didn't take a drink, only poured it on himself. Bardet actually did take a drink.

Something ain't right regardless of which angle you want to tackle it from.

Edit: Not to mention Bardet lied about not taking a drink at the finish to french journalists incase of said penalty despite video evidence now showing he did.

TRENDING THREADS