• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Roman Kreuziger Discussion Thread

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Billie said:
12 seconds from 7th place. Would have deserved that. (shame neither Kiserlovski or Majka could help him today)
Would deserve, wouldn't deserve...that's just what if. He's 10th and that's much more than most hoped before Tour. He beat some big names. He showed that he's still very good cyclist and that's something what almost everybody said he is no more, nobody really mentioned him and if so than in negative way. I think no pity takes place in this case.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Kokoso said:
. If it's true, with fresh Contador going I fear game changed and they will go for Contador :sad:
Well duh, he got his chance at the Tour now. Can't expect him to be allowed to ride for himself at the Vuelta while they have the no1 fave for the win.
He got his chance as a leader? Seriously?

That I don't expect him leading Vuelta while fresh Contador is there was my point, I'm aware of that but that doesn't mean I would be glad if Kreuziger was leader there

Kokoso said:
SHAD0W93 said:
Hopefully he does a good San Sebastain. Then I wonder how he will be in the Vuelta considering he was planning on doing GC before Contador fell. Hope a top 10 and stage win there while helping Contador win overall.
San Sebastian always suited him well so I hope for good result, too. Was he planning to go for GC at the Vuelta? I haven't seen that anywhere. If it's true, with fresh Contador going I fear game changed and they will go for Contador :sad:

I'm still pretty chuffed for yesterday, he showed some balls and it payed off :) Of course Peter Sagan helped him a lot, too. Still I believe he will win today.

Unless I miss read it that's why I thought he was skipping the Olympics so he can ride a good vuelta.

SHAD0W93 said:
Kokoso said:
SHAD0W93 said:
Hopefully he does a good San Sebastain. Then I wonder how he will be in the Vuelta considering he was planning on doing GC before Contador fell. Hope a top 10 and stage win there while helping Contador win overall.
San Sebastian always suited him well so I hope for good result, too. Was he planning to go for GC at the Vuelta? I haven't seen that anywhere. If it's true, with fresh Contador going I fear game changed and they will go for Contador :sad:

I'm still pretty chuffed for yesterday, he showed some balls and it payed off :) Of course Peter Sagan helped him a lot, too. Still I believe he will win today.

Unless I miss read it that's why I thought he was skipping the Olympics so he can ride a good vuelta.

That's right.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

SHAD0W93 said:
Kokoso said:
SHAD0W93 said:

To ride good Vuelta is not the same thing as to lead Vuelta. One can ride good Vuelta in service for someone else too, Contador comes to mind immediately.

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Re:

SHAD0W93 said:
I am happy he got into the top 10 wish he was higher though.

Based on interview after Tour Roman is not suru if he will ride Vuelta. Not because of fatigue, but some tension in team.

May 26, 2012
Visit site
He is skiping Olympic to focus on Vuelta. If he won't ride Vuelta or won't have free role, I'll put Contador on my "don't like list". It was disgracefull how Tinkoff (entire team apart from Sagan) treated him. In my eyes they owe him at least free role. I know Contador is better GC rider, but another Vuelta win (with 3rd tier or tired competition) is not much an achievement...

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

movingtarget said:
Yes the team looked all over the place. They were targeting three jerseys for a start which does not go down well for the GC leader.
Before the Tour they said they will target yellow and green jersey. I think mountain jersey somewhat emerged after Contador crashed and wasn't clear how he will do (or more likely was clear for that matter) hence they decided to try for two jerseys again, when yellow was out of contention - green and mountain. Or maybe Majka decided that himself and they just let him do his thing. What can you do when rider decides to go for it, after all? Nothing.

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Sartorius said:
He is skiping Olympic to focus on Vuelta. If he won't ride Vuelta or won't have free role, I'll put Contador on my "don't like list". It was disgracefull how Tinkoff (entire team apart from Sagan) treated him. In my eyes they owe him at least free role. I know Contador is better GC rider, but another Vuelta win (with 3rd tier or tired competition) is not much an achievement...

A GT WIN is not much achievement? That´s why all riders win GT´S, OH yeah... :)

What stays forever is the victory´s. Contador is just one of the 3 riders of alltimes that have grand tours. Even if it is not the tour, winning another GT is always a big achievement.

I undestand that Kreuziger fans want him to be free role. If i was Contador after all i have seen, i would let him do his own race. Because it doesn´t matter anymore.

May 26, 2012
Visit site

filipepc said:
Sartorius said:

A GT WIN is not much achievement? That´s why all riders win GT´S, OH yeah... :)

What stays forever is the victory´s. Contador is just one of the 3 riders of alltimes that have grand tours. Even if it is not the tour, winning another GT is always a big achievement.

I undestand that Kreuziger fans want him to be free role. If i was Contador after all i have seen, i would let him do his own race. Because it doesn´t matter anymore.

Acually i don't like Kreuziger, but i don't hate him either...I just don't like how unfair is Tinkoff towards him. He simply deserve at least free role in my point of view. And i didn't mean 4th Vuelta win is not achievement, but i wanted to say it won't add much to Contador's achievements and competition will be so weak that he won't need full team dedicated to him like Froome&Sky on TdF.

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I understand you but is a big achievement because that can put him in the 2 place with Hinault in GT WINS of all time. If you don´t count 9, but 7, it would leave him in 3 rd place. That´s huge. Tha´ts history. It will leave him with the gods of this sport. It his very important. Very, very.

I even think if he win this year he should try to beat Eddy record of 11.

But talking about Kreuiger, i didn´t like what i saw in the tour, not because i don´t like the guy, but just i don´t buy the excuse of the necessity of a contract. Almost every riders have 2 years contract and that means that always in the end of the first year they are in his last, so if that will be a excuse riders start playing just for themselfs necessitiys.

Maybe Kreuziger isn´t the biggest guilty maybe is the team that is a mess,but when you have a leader you must stay always with him, until the end.
I wish the best to Kreuziger and i think he is a good rider, he will find a team, i´m pretty sure.

Re:

filipepc said:
I understand you but is a big achievement because that can put him in the 2 place with Hinault in GT WINS of all time. If you don´t count 9, but 7, it would leave him in 3 rd place. That´s huge. Tha´ts history. It will leave him with the gods of this sport. It his very important. Very, very.

I even think if he win this year he should try to beat Eddy record of 11.

But talking about Kreuiger, i didn´t like what i saw in the tour, not because i don´t like the guy, but just i don´t buy the excuse of the necessity of a contract. Almost every riders have 2 years contract and that means that always in the end of the first year they are in his last, so if that will be a excuse riders start playing just for themselfs necessitiys.

Maybe Kreuziger isn´t the biggest guilty maybe is the team that is a mess,but when you have a leader you must stay always with him, until the end.
I wish the best to Kreuziger and i think he is a good rider, he will find a team, i´m pretty sure.

I heard he had signed for Katusha? A week ago. Probably a ***, because in an interview today he said that he has 4 offers, 2 of them he likes.
As for this TdF and Roman's role in Tinkoff team. You must realize that Tinkoff team is weak. Without Majka and Kreuziger Bertie wouldn't have any support in mountains, that's why they can't have free role when riding together. And when they get the free role it's a mistake. As for Roman's GC capabilities...they are very limited. in this TdF he got dropped like a stone in every stage when the final mountain came. He wouldn't be much a helper for AC either, had AC not crashed. 7 of 9 Sky bots were better in climbing in TdF and the rest two are Rowe and Stannard, capable of winning flat races. He should go to a smaller team for which are his 4th tier capabilities enough to shine. Or with Sagan to Bora, that would be great.

Re:

Sartorius said:
A Vuelta win is a much much bigger achievement than an anonymous top 10.
Of course Contador will be the leader at the Vuelta and the team will support him, it's the only thing that makes sense. So hate Alberto all you want but it is in the TEAM's best interest to have Alberto lead and Kreuziger support.

Re:

SHAD0W93 said:
I wouldn't rate him that low of a GC rider considering his placings. Though he should stop trying to go for GC in Grand Tours and just focus on week long and 1 day races. Then stages in the tours.

Exactly. The problem is that in his current form he wouldn't be able to win a stage in a GT IMHO.

LaFlorecita said:
Sartorius said:
A Vuelta win is a much much bigger achievement than an anonymous top 10.
Of course Contador will be the leader at the Vuelta and the team will support him, it's the only thing that makes sense. So hate Alberto all you want but it is in the TEAM's best interest to have Alberto lead and Kreuziger support.

Well, you are optimistic :) I hope it won't be Giro '15/Tour '16 kind of support :-/

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I think he did good Tour. 10th place in GC isn’t much, but it looks better considering some circumstances; small loss to winner, thick atmosphere in the team in first week, where he proved he’s mentally tough, too, lack of help compared to some others, very strong field. Also he wasn’t preparing to be leader at Tour. But first and foremost obviously not being in the best shape. He lacked climbing training in last two years, had his training program interrupted because he was withdrawed from TdS and rode Dauphine instead – that might have not been good for his mentality either, because TdS should have been the race where he will lead and try for GC thus important for future carrer. Knowing that you have no chance to fight for your contract in stage race isn't exactly encouraging... It was his only chance and team knew it, yet they decided to for him to ride Dauphine.
There were over twenty guys aiming for GC. More than half ended up behind Kreuziger. Once again he proved he’s capable leader. I really, really hope he rides Vuelta.

Re:

Kokoso said:
I think he did good Tour. 10th place in GC isn’t much, but it looks better considering some circumstances; small loss to winner, thick atmosphere in the team in first week, where he proved he’s mentally tough, too, lack of help compared to some others, very strong field. Also he wasn’t preparing to be leader at Tour. But first and foremost obviously not being in the best shape. He lacked climbing training in last two years, had his training program interrupted because he was withdrawed from TdS and rode Dauphine instead – that might have not been good for his mentality either, because TdS should have been the race where he will lead and try for GC thus important for future carrer. Knowing that you have no chance to fight for your contract in stage race isn't exactly encouraging... It was his only chance and team knew it, yet they decided to for him to ride Dauphine.
There were over twenty guys aiming for GC. More than half ended up behind Kreuziger. Once again he proved he’s capable leader. I really, really hope he rides Vuelta.

It's too bad he could not repeat his 2013 Tour form as it was the only time he was convincing as a podium prospect. Many riders in his position are more than happy to realize they will never win a GT and they will accept the good money to ride for a better rider. There are too many riders ahead of him now. 10th place is a good result in the rider's mind maybe but it does nothing for the team unless the rider is a young one with a lot of improvement left in him. A stage win is much more valuable for the team and sponsors than finishing tenth and usually for the fans as well. Other riders like TJVG should also be considering their options as well. To go for stage results and ride for others or to keep getting mediocre results. His next contract won't be as a team leader I am sure and neither will Kreuziger's unless it's riding for a small team for less money. Stages and week long races look best for them, also some of the classics suit Kreuziger as he showed in his Amstel win.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

movingtarget said:
It's too bad he could not repeat his 2013 Tour form as it was the only time he was convincing as a podium prospect. Many riders in his position are more than happy to realize they will never win a GT and they will accept the good money to ride for a better rider. There are too many riders ahead of him now. 10th place is a good result in the rider's mind maybe but it does nothing for the team unless the rider is a young one with a lot of improvement left in him. A stage win is much more valuable for the team and sponsors than finishing tenth and usually for the fans as well. Other riders like TJVG should also be considering their options as well. To go for stage results and ride for others or to keep getting mediocre results. His next contract won't be as a team leader I am sure and neither will Kreuziger's unless it's riding for a small team for less money. Stages and week long races look best for them, also some of the classics suit Kreuziger as he showed in his Amstel win.
Sounds too pesimistic to me. He wasn't at best shape, there were plenty of reasons to it. But I agree that stage hunting would be nice, it seems like average fan does much more of it than say 10th place at Tour, it's like Pavlov's reflex. You attack, or win = you are popular.
Yes, he can ride good stage races and win one day races, Amstel and Classica San Sebastian prove it, but he's well placed in LBL every year he enters it. And San Sebastian is ridden today :)

Kokoso said:
movingtarget said:
Sounds too pesimistic to me. He wasn't at best shape, there were plenty of reasons to it. But I agree that stage hunting would be nice, it seems like average fan does much more of it than say 10th place at Tour, it's like Pavlov's reflex. You attack, or win = you are popular.
Yes, he can ride good stage races and win one day races, Amstel and Classica San Sebastian prove it, but he's well placed in LBL every year he enters it. And San Sebastian is ridden today :)

Of course he could surprise if he can hit his peak form. Worse riders have probably made podiums before but sometimes the circumstances when that happens are unusual like a lot of crashes or bad luck for other riders which is always possible. It is probably best for him to go to a team without superstars, that way he gets to lead at the Giro or maybe even the Tour if the team is not a strong one. He deserves to find a new team and will be interesting to see where he lands. After 2013 I expected him to be more competitive but it didn't happen. Sometimes a fresh start with a new team is good for a rider.

TRENDING THREADS