• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rotor Rings

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
New to Cyclingnews forums. I'm a Cat2 masters type who's been riding on and off for years but new to training and racing since 2006. I realize these RINGS have been around for a while but, I'm just getting around to doing some research. Anyone have any experience using them? Good or bad doesn't matter.

Thanks!

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
GiElise said:
New to Cyclingnews forums. I'm a Cat2 masters type who's been riding on and off for years but new to training and racing since 2006. I realize these RINGS have been around for a while but, I'm just getting around to doing some research. Anyone have any experience using them? Good or bad doesn't matter.

Thanks!

I saw this discussion going on a few days ago in another forum. I see quite a bit of discussion has taken place. Quite a bit of info in it regarding Rotor, Biopace etc.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=225284

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Willy_Voet said:
I would love to see a schematic of Biopace and Q rings side by side. Or a picture of the rings superimposed.

Seen some explanations on line, but no solid picture.

As I understand it the widest part of the rings is about 90 degrees off. If that makes sense.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
The difference between Biopace and the Q rings is where the power lies within the pedal stroke. With Biopace it lies at the bottom where the dead spot is. Whereas the Q rings have it at roughly 2 o'clock. The Q rings are adjustable, allowing the user to decide where to place the power (Biopace was not). My set up has the large ring situated so that it is equivalent to a 54 tooth from 2 to 4 o'clock, but a 51 tooth through the bottom
I have used them for nearly a year now and really like them. My hr stays lower on the climbs, and matching other riders' accelerations seems easier. Also purely anecdotal: my knees quit hurting.

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
I have been using them for two years now. Going back to round rings is probably not gonna happen.

Actually, the largest gear will happen at 4'o clock, as that's where you can put most power in. Conversely, the smallest gear is at 1'o clock to help you get the power going. My pedaling is a lot rounder and feels more effective now.

These has absolutely nothing in common with the awful Biopace rings, which I still have on a very old and poor MTB in my summerhouse. I keep it as a curiosity. :)

I have the same results as TexPat. Lower HR and standing on the pedals requires less effort. I can start my sprint a bit earlier as well, as the lactic acid "explosion" is a bit delayed.

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Well, a 3% increase in my FTP (peak) would be about 10W. If that figure is close then the ring is worth it to me. Just seems too good to be true. Only one way to find out.

Thanks for the insight gents!

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Read the instructions. The power is determined by how one orients the ring on the crankarm. This is the advantage of the Q ring over Biopace.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
TexPat said:
Read the instructions. The power is determined by how one orients the ring on the crankarm. This is the advantage of the Q ring over Biopace.

I would second that...as well as the part in there that says to take it easy at first and work up to full tilt gradually.

I did not...on the first ride out felt like a dang rock star on the climbs (a bit of placebo effect?) and was standing and hammering up everything with an incline.

And I paid for it :eek:. Legs were shot for a while, hams, quads, etc. I then went to an "easier" setting on the adjustment and then followed the destructions...

I like them alot now :D though I have nothing but subjectivity to go on and wonder if I really gain as much as I feel I gain.

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
Don't do it. If you do, you will hate round rings later on. You will feel compelled to spend money and purchase them.

After a recommendation by a couple of cat 1 teammates, I tried them and now I love them. have them on all my bikes. They do a great job of compensating for poor technique which seems to plague me after about 3 hours of racing. They just feel very comfortable.

Now they are not supposed to help your performance any, by accomodating the dead spot, etc. because pedaling technique, according to Tapeworm's studies, has no material effect on your power/performance.

However, I love them. Been using them for 3 years. If you want to see how they smooth out your stroke, try a set for a few hours and then get on a bike with round rings. You will feel quite clumsy because you muscles have gotten used to the different feel.

TexasTom said:
If you want to see how they smooth out your stroke, try a set for a few hours and then get on a bike with round rings. You will feel quite clumsy because you muscles have gotten used to the different feel.

I'm confused because this sounds like a contradiction. From your description here, it sounds like they make you feel like your stroke is smoother, otherwise why would you feel clumsy when going back to round rings? I would think that if they actually smoothed out your stroke, you would then have a smoother spin when going back to round rings. It sound more to me like they disguise poor technique and provide the kind of feedback that actually encourages the same.

I'm not suggesting that they aren't more efficient, as it's probably a more natural way for the legs to produce power. But it also seems that using one or the other requires you to stick with that, since each type will train your muscles to fire quite differently in concert with each other.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
marathon marke said:
...But it also seems that using one or the other requires you to stick with that, since each type will train your muscles to fire quite differently in concert with each other.

Not entirely sure about that. My road bike has them, but MTB does not. I ride my road bike alot but I race my MTB. While I do notice some difference I don't think it's substantial...

FWIW I've considered updating my MTB this winter with them.