• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Roubaix Bike?

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
I'm a 200+ lb 60 yr ole avid rec cyclist. I have a 1995 Trek carbon 2200 model bike. I like the hype of the Specialized Roubaix SL2. Would I notice the ride differernce if I bought this bike, or could I save$$ an get something for less that I would like the ride of ??? These Utah roads are beatin me to death.T Boonen and G Hincapie and other big riders surely are riding something a little different. Thanx fer the heads up...:confused:

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
Anything that anyone will tell you here won't replace a proper test ride. Even if you can't find the exact model you're looking for, find a bike with the right frame and size and take it for a spin. Without going into details I think it's safe to say that most modern high-end carbon bikes will be like night and day from your current ride in nearly every way - and all of them good.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
FWIW, Boonen and Hincapie may be "big riders" for cyclists, but they aren't anywhere near 200 lbs. Hincapie weighs about 170 early in the season and 165 by the tour. Boonen weighed about 176 at the Paris-Roubaix start this year and probably takes that down a bit later in the season as well.

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
I've had several customers about your shape go with the Specialized Roubaix which is a great plush bike with a really good performance level, especially since they adopted the SL2 geometry over the whole line. That being said, you can probably get the Roubaix Pro SL which is a lot less expensive than the SL2 and almost have the same specs.

- The carbon grade is a 9r instead of a 10r: slightly heavier and less stiff (I dare you to find a difference though!)
- You get full Dura-Ace on the SL2, shifters and deraillers on the SL (brakes are ultegra SL)
- Finally the wheels. Here in Canada, the SL2 comes with R-Sys which I wouldn't ride after seeing some pictures of broken carbon spokes on bustedcarbon.com. The Pro SL comes with Roval Roubaix wheels which are designed to be pretty solid.

All in all, like Mr.Huang said, nothing anyone says is gonna beat a good old test ride, especially considering the ammount of money your are planning on spending.

Test rides! That's the only way to figure out which bike is best for you. Start with the Roubaix and ride everything else in your price range, too.

When I was test riding this year, looking to upgrade from a wicked stiff Cannondale, the two bikes I fell in love with were the Roubaix you talked about and the Cervelo RS. Bought the Cervelo. Its a fantastic ride.

A

Anonymous

Nevermind said:
I've had several customers about your shape go with the Specialized Roubaix which is a great plush bike with a really good performance level, especially since they adopted the SL2 geometry over the whole line. That being said, you can probably get the Roubaix Pro SL which is a lot less expensive than the SL2 and almost have the same specs.

- The carbon grade is a 9r instead of a 10r: slightly heavier and less stiff (I dare you to find a difference though!)
- You get full Dura-Ace on the SL2, shifters and deraillers on the SL (brakes are ultegra SL)
- Finally the wheels. Here in Canada, the SL2 comes with R-Sys which I wouldn't ride after seeing some pictures of broken carbon spokes on bustedcarbon.com. The Pro SL comes with Roval Roubaix wheels which are designed to be pretty solid.

All in all, like Mr.Huang said, nothing anyone says is gonna beat a good old test ride, especially considering the ammount of money your are planning on spending.

NS, Mavic is swearing up and down on VN that the wheels failed after something else did, but I don't give a rat's a$$ what happened, those things came COMPLETELY apart.(something unique to carbon spokes mind you) I would especially steer clear if you are heavier. No way, no how.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
stargate69 said:
I'm a 200+ lb 60 yr ole avid rec cyclist. I have a 1995 Trek carbon 2200 model bike. I like the hype of the Specialized Roubaix SL2. Would I notice the ride differernce if I bought this bike, or could I save$$ an get something for less that I would like the ride of ??? These Utah roads are beatin me to death.T Boonen and G Hincapie and other big riders surely are riding something a little different. Thanx fer the heads up...:confused:

ONLY way to know this 100% subjective answer is to take an extended test ride on the ones you are looking at. There is NO standard in terms of ride quality, regardless of what the marketeers and sales lizards say. Ignore the 'stiff but compliant' stuff.

Ya might try a wider tire and less air in same for a more comfy ride.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
You don't need an "extended" test ride. Anyone who tells you that, quite possibly, has never bought a bike before or has wasted their life weighing up the differences!

I have a tarmac and Madone - each feels less comfortable than the other, slower than the other, the wrong size etc DEPENDING ON WHICH ONE I RIDE THE MOST! All bikes feel different - the SL2 is going to be a lot stiffer than what you currently ride, with the beefed up BB Shell and 1.5 inch and bolstered head tube, it is going to feel stiff. Carbon has changed significantly since 1995. The bike should feel naturally quicker. Its very unlikely you will feel the Compliance benefits of the Roubaix however, certainly not on any shorter ride. When I first went for a ride, i did notice the vibration differences on slightly rougher roads.

Biggest advantage for yourself with a Roubaix is going to be the sizing and geometry. I don't want to presume things in an agist mannor! However, as you age you will probably find that the increased head tube size and slightly shorter top tube will be significantly more comfortable. As a bigger rider all Specialized geometries should work for you, that is what i find.

If you have the money for the S-works, go for the S-works. If you are stretched for cash, do look at the other models. As mentioned previously, the variances are not major. However, the S-works is by far the best. Although people have mentioned it comes with R-SYS - this is not the case Nearly every Roubaix SL2 has come with Kysirium SL's.

As for not having Carbon wheels, I'm not sure where that comes from either. Yes, don't get a set of Lightweights or any uber light wheels (not for strenght, but because of flex under power) but there are so many other carbon wheels that will be fine. I have a 2 sets of Carbon wheels and don't weight much less that 200lbs - I snapped my first Madone frame but the wheels are fine - never had a problem.

stargate69 said:

Utah roads are pretty good...unless they are freshly chip sealed. :p

If you are just looking for a little more comfort then your best bet is a larger tire size.

One of the selling points of the the SL2 seems to be radically increased stiffness. Not exactly something I associate with comfort.

The funny thing is that I think for about the same price as the Roubaix SL2 you could put together a Moots Vamoots YBB, which is a soft tail road bike that utilizes the flex of titanium in the rear triangle.

It you want bling and possibly more comfort there are Topolino wheels...

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
One of carbon fiber's biggest advantages is its anisotropic material properties - meaning it can be made very stiff in one direction but flexible in another, largely independent of the shape of the structure.

That Trek 2200 uses round carbon tubes that are unfortunately isotropic - as in they could be bonded in the lugs any which way and the bike would still ride the same. It was an early carbon bike and frame designers have learned an awful lot about composite design since then.

In other words, it's very possible -and very likely - that that Roubaix is stiffer where you want it to be yet also more comfortable, too. Is that the case with *all* newer carbon bikes? No, but yes on the whole.

Again though, the test ride is still the final word.

TRENDING THREADS