• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Roubaix invites announced

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Euskatel invited.

Discuss

I think it's all part of their devious 3 part plan

1. Invite Euskaltel
2. ?
3. Profit

Full list thanks to Sir Geoffrey Dodds of the Flitwick Daily Bugle: Milram, Omega Pharma-Lotto, Quick Step, Saxo Bank, Caisse d'Epargne, Euskaltel-Euskadi, BMC Racing Team, Garmin-Transitions, HTC-Columbia, RadioShack, Team Sky, AG2R, Bbox Bouygues Telecom, Cofidis, Francaise des Jeux, Saur-Sojasun, Acqua e Sapone, Androni Giocattoli, Lampre, Liquigas, Rabobank, Skil-Shimano, Vacansoleil, Katusha, Cervelo.

issoisso said:
Euskatel invited.

Discuss

1. Invite Euskaltel
2. ?
3. Profit

Full list thanks to Sir Geoffrey Dodds of the Flitwick Daily Bugle: Milram, Omega Pharma-Lotto, Quick Step, Saxo Bank, Caisse d'Epargne, Euskaltel-Euskadi, BMC Racing Team, Garmin-Transitions, HTC-Columbia, RadioShack, Team Sky, AG2R, Bbox Bouygues Telecom, Cofidis, Francaise des Jeux, Saur-Sojasun, Acqua e Sapone, Androni Giocattoli, Lampre, Liquigas, Rabobank, Skil-Shimano, Vacansoleil, Katusha, Cervelo.

Comic relief?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
Do the Basques actually even try to finish the race? Or do they just commit ritual suicide as soon as they reach the Arenberg?

Most of them finish.
One of them was the first neo-pro to finish all the monuments in less than a year. He's a pure climber, nonetheless.

Respect them.

issoisso said:
Most of them finish.
One of them was the first neo-pro to finish all the monuments in less than a year. He's a pure climber, nonetheless.

Respect them.

I really like Euskaltel. They might not win every race they enter, but seem to always make an effort. There's probably not a potential winner of Paris-Roubaix on the team, but the same can be said of several other teams. I know Sicard is scheduled for Roubaix, anyone know if he has any experience on cobbles?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
zapata said:
I really like Euskaltel. They might not win every race they enter, but seem to always make an effort. There's probably not a potential winner of Paris-Roubaix on the team, but the same can be said of several other teams. I know Sicard is scheduled for Roubaix, anyone know if he has any experience on cobbles?

He's only done a race on the cobbles. The idiots over at the french national team resisted the public outcry to call him up. Until it became so huge they finally called him up to the youth team.....for the youth Roubaix. Idiots.

He's a pure climber, he doesn't go well at all on the flat. Luckily, the riders on the youth team made a point of demanding he be called up

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I have been watching the Paris-Roubaix races recently during interval sessions on the trainer. I forget which edition it was, maybe 2006, but an Euskatel rider (sorry, forget who) was mixing it up on the front in a long breakaway and showing good form. Phil and Paul were going all gaga for all the same reasons that we are (climbers on a climbing team in a cobbled classic), but still he showed grit, power and determination. Most Spanish teams and riders could be painted with the same brush as Euskatel because none seem to feature too prominently in Flanders or PR. Flecha is the one exception.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
And Flecha is, of course, Argentine by origin. It seems to be the trend that riders from the east of South America tend to be less likely to be climbers like the Colombians, Venezuelans and so on - you have the likes of Murilo Fischer and the Haedos...

Flecha is from the Falklands. ;)

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
Euskatel invited.

Discuss

1. Invite Euskaltel
2. ?
3. Profit

Strange thing about the two bolded Italian teams is that they were initially uninvited! The ASO extended invites to both Landbouwkrediet Colnago and TopSport Vlaanderen, but the UCI put it's fascist jackboot down and over-ruled their decision, as Landbouwkrediet and TopSport weren't high enough in the UCI standings at the end of 09 to merit an invitation to the northern cobbled soirée that is Paris-Roubaix, according to the evil-villain moustache twirling apparatchiks that the dot the UCI landscape.

Feel sorry for both teams, as they were told they were invited, only to be told a bit later on that well, sorry, you're not.

This is probably some source that picked up the story from somewhere else:
http://www.cyclismactu.net/news-paris_roubaix_des_invitations_controversees-5214.html

Nicoper said:
I am sorry if this is off topic but,
what is Androni Giocattoli doing there?
I would prefer Topsport Vlaanderen instead.

trompe le monde said:
The ASO extended invites to both Landbouwkrediet Colnago and TopSport Vlaanderen, but the UCI put it's fascist jackboot down and over-ruled their decision, as Landbouwkrediet and TopSport weren't high enough in the UCI standings at the end of 09 to merit an invitation to the northern cobbled soirée that is Paris-Roubaix, according to the evil-villain moustache twirling apparatchiks that the dot the UCI landscape.
http://www.cyclismactu.net/news-paris_roubaix_des_invitations_controversees-5214.html

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Man, can't the UCI do anything right? No TSV and no Landbouwkrediet is borderline criminally insane. Props to the Euskaltel lads for finishing a race on those demon cobbles, but there is no use at all in them being there.