• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

RS should have supported Horner

Instead of putting their chips on Lance and then Levi, Horner now in the top 10 could likely have finished a few spots higher if not all the work they forced the guy to do. Anyway, nice to see Chris have a nice tour.

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
RSH had 3 guys up in the top 20 today: Horner, Kloden, Lance.

Team classification is based on the first 3.

Still, they also wanted to retain Levi's GC. I think they made a mistake. If Lance had dropped back to pace Levi, there were only 2 GCE riders in front and RSH's team GC wasn't under threat. Lance should have tried to ride with Levi to pace him home.

I don't know what was going on... but when Levi was in trouble none of the other 3 RSH guys waited to help him.

Seems odd to me. Full results aren't up yet so we don't know the situation with how 'bad' Levi was nor how many other GCE riders may have been up around at the end - but I only saw Sanchez and Kiryienka.

robow7 said:
Instead of putting their chips on Lance and then Levi, Horner now in the top 10 could likely have finished a few spots higher if not all the work they forced the guy to do. Anyway, nice to see Chris have a nice tour.
WTF? Forgotten about yesterday, where he gained a lot of time from a breakaway?

Leipheimer is a stronger rider than Horner, and has a much bigger GT palmares. It was a logical choice to support him, rather than Horner.

BroDeal said:
Yeah, the whole team could have stuck with Leipheimer and finished an hour back. ;)
No, but they should have left Klödi to help him, you know, at least show some respect to the guy. You know that's what any other team would have done.

The Caisse guys weren't even doing that great. It's ridiculous.

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
They didn't put any chips on Levi. They just told him to hang on.

What they did to Levi today was disgusting.

I dont think Levi gives a rip about finishing top 10...he soft pedaled today to save up for a potential TT win on Saturday.

They had 3 riders trying so the Team comp was taken care of...

I was expecting LA to soft pedal and try for a big TT, but maybe they decided LL was a bigger threat on a course that suits him so he took it easy

Maybe it'll come out differently, but I was kind of expecting one of the 2 to not go 100% today if they had a 3rd that could cover the 3rd CdE rider.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
WTF? Forgotten about yesterday, where he gained a lot of time from a breakaway?

Leipheimer is a stronger rider than Horner, and has a much bigger GT palmares. It was a logical choice to support him, rather than Horner.

On the other hand, Horner also 4 minutes or so on stage 8 waiting for Armstrong...

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I was a fan of Armstrongs achievements up until last year with the whole Astana debacle.

Armstrongs ego would never have allowed Horner the opportunity. He wasted a year in competing for something that is now beyond him as an athlete. Go do your Ironman events Lance and let the team speak for itself. There are some seriously talented cyclists on that squad who just plain did not have the opportunity to show what they have.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
it must be a bitter pill for lance to see his old youth rival horner at the same age doing better than he is, not only in the tour but he also won pais vasco.

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
bigloco said:
I dont think Levi gives a rip about finishing top 10...he soft pedaled today to save up for a potential TT win on Saturday.

Ahhh I have to disagree. Levi gives a BIG RIP about being top 10.

I think the way his team rode today they may not give a RIP about him being top 10.

I think RSH made a mistake... They are also American and need to appeal to the US audience. With Garmin's Hesjedal really winning over some fans with his ride, and now being ahead of all the RSH guys in the individual classification... RSH may have made a big sporting, sponsorship and PR mistake today.

There's a big rivalry amongst RSH, GRM, BMC and THR to be viewed as top dogs in the USA... and GRM may be nudging past RSH after this tour. Maybe.

shouldawouldacoulda said:
Ahhh I have to disagree. Levi gives a BIG RIP about being top 10.

I think the way his team rode today they may not give a RIP about him being top 10.

I think RSH made a mistake... They are also American and need to appeal to the US audience. With Garmin's Hesjedal really winning over some fans with his ride, and now being ahead of all the RSH guys in the individual classification... RSH may have made a big sporting, sponsorship and PR mistake today.

There's a big rivalry amongst RSH, GRM, BMC and THR to be viewed as top dogs in the USA... and GRM may be nudging past RSH after this tour. Maybe.

Ryder's had an absolutely fantastic tour! Not only in his GC placing, but his aggressiveness and panache ... at least he tries to race. He has been in 2 breaks, one of which after he was a known threat (and ended up getting caught), the other of which was the nearly stage long escapade on the cobbles. He normally can TT pretty well, so it will be interesting to see how he does on the final TT.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Ripper said:
Ryder's had an absolutely fantastic tour! Not only in his GC placing, but his aggressiveness and panache ... at least he tries to race. He has been in 2 breaks, one of which after he was a known threat (and ended up getting caught), the other of which was the nearly stage long escapade on the cobbles. He normally can TT pretty well, so it will be interesting to see how he does on the final TT.

agreed it's been a great ride for him and he has really been an attractive racer. another talent btw that rabo let slip away.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
it must be a bitter pill for lance to see his old youth rival horner at the same age doing better than he is, not only in the tour but he also won pais vasco.

Horner also didn't take a few years off either. That has a lot to do with it.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Best case scenario, as team leader, is Horner doesn't finish much better than he did in the GC without the gains he made on Tuesday. I don't think he gets into that break if he was as close to the top 10 to begin with. Not sure why I am trying with a reasoned post, but there ya go.

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
OK, full results are up...

I'm wrong. I think RSH did the best they could in a ****ty situation with Levi today. GCE had : Plaza, Sanchez, Kiryienka and Moreau not far off Horner, Kloden and Armstrong.

It was too risky for RSH to sit one of their 3 players with Levi when he started to have trouble.

Leipheimer probably made the call on the radio himself for the other 3 not to wait on him.

Sucks for Leipheimer. Looks like RSH had Paulinho with him tho.