• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

RS should have supported Horner

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
Jux1893 said:
Everyone seems to be forgetting that the day Horner stayed back to help Lance, costed him at least 3 minutes to the fastest.

Sure, but had he not lost those 3 mins the bunch likely wouldn't have given him as much leash on Tuesday's stage. :)

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Quid pro quo said:
If Horner is a team leader next year then things can change.

He'll get a job as the climber/supporter for a serious GC guy if he isn't on the next version of Shack. He's too old to be a designated leader.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:
TRS should have supported SOMEONE.

They had four riders who on their month could "easily" top 5.

Instead they played for the Teams!

Where was Popovych!?

In case you didn't notice, Team Geriatrics ended up right where they deserved to end up, individually: Nowhere.(take it from ME, I know:D) For all the hype, marketing and advertising, Thank Goodness they are at least taking the TEAM trophy home. And as Paul and Phil will remind you, Lance still gets a chance to stand atop the podium on the Champs Elysees. But individually, did you really expect PoPo to do ANYTHING? Puhlease! Last time he did anything was when he was with Discovery Channel, when he led Lance out in a losing effort Vs. Valverde. And at least Levi recognizes his limitations with a smile on his face. Instead of tweeting tripe, out of frustration, like he did last year. Kloden? who? Oh, Ullrich's sidekick!
By the Way.....There is NO EASY in the Tour de France.:D

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
He'll get a job as the climber/supporter for a serious GC guy if he isn't on the next version of Shack. He's too old to be a designated leader.

Won't he still be on RSH? I think he has another year on his contract. And RSH has another year on there's with CSE too - oh but wait, that might be moot :rolleyes:

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Oldman said:
Amen. That would be like when they thought that George Hincapie should be the team leader for the GC at the TdF in 2006. No matter how much we liked Georgie, We all saw how well that went.:eek:

Of course I was being facetious about the Shack supporting Horner but he has shown very good form and it was nice to see him finishing with the big dogs today when he himself was unleashed.

Jul 17, 2010
www.traininspain.net
There's a lot to admire about Chris, he's achieved plenty of goods results in the US and in Europe and he's as honest as they come. He posts all of his race power stats for anyone to analyse and, unlike many, is racing the whole season long.

Chris was in great shape last year and missed out on a TdF spot for political reasons within the Astana team - he should have been number three. He then crashed when he got his shot as team leader in La Vuelta so missed out on that chance.

This year he has impressed when allowed to race and brilliant as the Super Domestique - came in right beside Levi at the Tour of California and look at the way he worked for Jani Brajkovic at the Dauphine - and then paced another US rider, Tejay Van garderen, from HTC, who was fighting for a podium spot.

The guy is a class act. His performances are getting better as the peloton becomes cleaner, figure that out for yourselves.

Lastly, read any of his blogs - the guy loves his job, he really loves being a pro cyclist and wants to keep going with no thoughts of retiring.

Bravo!

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Funny thread.
One for the hindsight DSs amongst us.
Horner team leader next year? How old is he, again?
Discovery Tour 2006 = Shack Tour 2011.
That's a prediction, btw.

Isn't Shack Tour 2010 = Discovery Tour 2006?

nowhereman said:
In case you didn't notice, Team Geriatrics ended up right where they deserved to end up, individually: Nowhere.(take it from ME, I know:D) For all the hype, marketing and advertising, Thank Goodness they are at least taking the TEAM trophy home. And as Paul and Phil will remind you, Lance still gets a chance to stand atop the podium on the Champs Elysees. But individually, did you really expect PoPo to do ANYTHING? Puhlease! Last time he did anything was when he was with Discovery Channel, when he led Lance out in a losing effort Vs. Valverde. And at least Levi recognizes his limitations with a smile on his face. Instead of tweeting tripe, out of frustration, like he did last year. Kloden? who? Oh, Ullrich's sidekick!
By the Way.....There is NO EASY in the Tour de France.:D

Popo finished in the Top 10 in the 2007 tour, and rode like a beast for Contador/Leipheimer.

It looked as if their only goal was getting His Lanceness his bon voyage stage win (and they screwed the pooch on that deal). If it had been anyone but LA and The Hog running the team, they'd have turned Brajkovic loose in the mountains at least once. That would have been a fireworks show. Out of the other 187 riders, he was the only one who showed the potential to put pressure on AC/AS in the mountains but the Dynamic Duo kept the cork in his bottle.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Train in Spain said:
There's a lot to admire about Chris, he's achieved plenty of goods results in the US and in Europe and he's as honest as they come. He posts all of his race power stats for anyone to analyse and, unlike many, is racing the whole season long.

Chris was in great shape last year and missed out on a TdF spot for political reasons within the Astana team - he should have been number three. He then crashed when he got his shot as team leader in La Vuelta so missed out on that chance.

This year he has impressed when allowed to race and brilliant as the Super Domestique - came in right beside Levi at the Tour of California and look at the way he worked for Jani Brajkovic at the Dauphine - and then paced another US rider, Tejay Van garderen, from HTC, who was fighting for a podium spot.

The guy is a class act. His performances are getting better as the peloton becomes cleaner, figure that out for yourselves.

Lastly, read any of his blogs - the guy loves his job, he really loves being a pro cyclist and wants to keep going with no thoughts of retiring.

Bravo!
You forgot one of RS's only wins this year, when he took Pais Vasco off of Valverde! It was one of RS's few shining moments this year, so SHOUT it!:D

May 24, 2010
Visit site
perico said:
Popo finished in the Top 10 in the 2007 tour, and rode like a beast for Contador/Leipheimer.

Sorry, for the oversight. But still, after his initial impressions. I think he's a Dog. Just ridin' for a paycheck. That's just my opinion, please don't start a fight with me over it. This is not the proper thread for that.:)

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
Why didn't Levi get his?

Joking aside, the refill - or specifically lack of refill - is likely why each rider is riding the way he is.

Levi is a good rider, but needed 'gear' to ride great. I don't think anyone brought anything to this tour. And the lack of a refill yesterday is why Levi is faltering.

I think Horner has always been better than Levi - physically. I think he is a better natural climber and has better recovery. We see him riding consistently well all Tour.

I think there was a lot of pre-tour 'preparation' but all the teams left their normal transfusions supplies at home when they came to this Tour.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
robow7 said:
Instead of putting their chips on Lance and then Levi, Horner now in the top 10 could likely have finished a few spots higher if not all the work they forced the guy to do. Anyway, nice to see Chris have a nice tour.

You're absolutely right. But hindsight's 20/20. Chris is underrated and has had a great Tour.