• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rui Costa Discussion Thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I heard there was a rumour of Costa going to GreenEdge.

Seems like a perfect team for him to target all one week stage races he wants plus GT if he wants. He'd only be a co-leader in Ardennes, with Gerrans .

Gloin22 said:
I heard there was a rumour of Costa going to GreenEdge.

Seems like a perfect team for him to target all one week stage races he wants plus GT if he wants. He'd only be a co-leader in Ardennes, with Gerrans .

I hope he doesn't go to GreenEdge, i don't think that's the right team for him.

With Valverde getting old and no spanish start on the horizon he could lead Movistar in a season or two alongside Quintana!!!

The rumour is that he has a pre-deal with another team. But it comes from no reliable source so i wouldn't take it too seriously.

I hope he stays at movistar, but if he leaves, he will leave for a top team with money as his salary will probably be getting close to the 1 mil mark.

trevim said:
He should stay: not a lot of pressure, great support team and he can lead most of the races he want. Besides he's not focused on GT's and I hope he doesn't in the future.

Completely agree with this.

And even if he focuses on GT's he is only 26. He has plenty of time to get a couple top 10's which i think its the best he could possibly get in a GT.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
He seems perfectly comfortable and integrated where he is. He's been getting his chances too. I think the risk of changing to a new outfit (especially one like Greenedge) outweights the advantages.

Those adavantages would be more freedom/leadership of course. If Ardennes are a serious goal for him, then there lies the question mark. At Liége being at Movistar beside Valverde was not of benefit for him.

EDIT: Oh and I almost forgot. Great ride today!

May 19, 2011
Visit site
History repeated itself today, another fantastic ITT from Costa to snatch the ToS title.:D I can see an ultra strong Moviestar team battle with SKY in the Tour.:eek:

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Great ride by Costa today, looks like he's peaking just at the right time. Agree with max, I can see Movistar providing strong competition for Sky at the Tour. Quintana, Rui, and Valverde will be a strong triple.

Agree that he should stay with Movistar also, he's had a lot of success with them. And with Valverde not getting any younger he'll get plenty of opportunities to lead at the races he wants to target.

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
is costa a GT rider tho?? :confused: I've heard people saying he's just a one week rider. regardless he climbs well and tt's well so could develop into a gt rider. He's a relative unknown for me at gts apart from the fight with barredo hehe :D

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
is costa a GT rider tho?? :confused: I've heard people saying he's just a one week rider. regardless he climbs well and tt's well so could develop into a gt rider anyway. He's a relative unknown for me at gts apart from the fight with barredo hehe :D

PedalCastro said:
Who will lead Movistar at the Tour?
Valverde? Quintana for KoM?
Or just let the road decide?

Valverde will. Costa and Quintana will save themselves during the first thing and see how things go on the first mountain stages. If they perform above the expectations then they will be given freedom, if not, they will domestique for Valverde.

nick101 said:
is costa a GT rider tho?? :confused: I've heard people saying he's just a one week rider. regardless he climbs well and tt's well so could develop into a gt rider anyway. He's a relative unknown for me at gts apart from the fight with barredo hehe :D

I don't think he is a GT rider, he will struggle on the real tough mountain stages imo. Although he has been getting much better on that regard and he clearly stepped up this year so you never know. A low end top 10 could be reachable.

The stage he won the year after the Barredo fight was a great. Easily outclassed TJVG and held off Vino and the Peloton on the way to super besse.

Movistar just posted on facebook that the baby Costa took to the podium yesterday was the baby of a couple Costa is close friends with, and the baby despite being only a little over 1 year old has been battling with cancer for months. So Costa promised them that if he won Suisse again he would take the baby to the podium with him.

And he delivered :cool:

Also portuguese eurosport says that a new deal with movistar is close and Unzue is just gathering the money from the sponsors to officialize the offer.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Can we get the title of this thread changed to the "Just how awesome is Rui thread"? :D
Seriously though, very cool of him to do that. Also glad to hear signs that he will be staying with Movistar.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Well done Rui, i hope you leave Movistar and go somewhere where you would be a leader maybe OPQS with Uran if it goes through. I mean no way will Rui have freedom in the TDF yes he may go for 1 stage but i cant see Movistar having a bad TDF, which is what Rui would need to have freedom. I think Valverde or Quintana will be off the podium but if 1 is in top 5 surely he will have to stay and help. Such a classy rider 2 TdS is some achievement. He beat a supposed big hope in the TDF TJVG, no chance TJ in this parcours. Will Rui ride Vuelta after or do the Fall classics and then ride the Worlds.

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
Dont know about Valverde. I think Vuelta suits him better. In Tour the mountain stages are long and with many climbes. In Vuelta its often just one climb in the end of the stages, and the climbs are steeper.

One cant rule him of though. But I think he will realise a top-result isnt possible back Quintana, aim for stage win and then win the Vuelta.

Quintana has a very good chance of top 5 and even challenge for the poduim.

Costa which this thread is about shall focus on helping his captains and go for stages, unless he has made a major improvment since last year.

TRENDING THREADS