• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rui Costa Discussion Thread

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I was just joking, i am not worried i just think it's funny. Besides neither of this stages was really a question of tactics which is where he is at his best.

I think he could get his first win in PN and he should be on the final podium considering the route.

My prediction is he pulls a LULU on Nibali on the stage to Fayence and wins the GC :cool:

Interview with CarroVassoura

http://carrovassoura.blogspot.pt/2014/03/a-conversa-com-rui-costa.html

No wonder he wins so much, he is a proper winner.

Link to google translate of the website (the guy deserves the clicks):
http://translate.google.pt/translate?sl=pt&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=pt-PT&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fcarrovassoura.blogspot.pt%2F2014%2F03%2Fa-conversa-com-rui-costa.html&act=url

My favourite part:

You always confessed your desire to win Liège-Bastogne-Liège but the top-10 of the Tour de France seems to be the main objective set for 2014. If you were asked to choose between a victory in LBL and a top-10 at the Tour, what would you choose?
RC: A win it's a win. I think even the two stages i won in the Tour are more important than the top-10. But someday I have to take my chances on GC and realize, finally, whether or not I am a rider who can discuss a GT. Right now, not even i know if i can do it.

I was thinking about what rider Rui most reminds me of and then it came to me - LL Sanchez. Good climber and good TTer, good enough to win one days and week-long stage races but probably just top 10 GT material, fairly explosive, but most importantly, just has a nose for winning (this week notwithstanding).

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
10320505_753594701358349_8740803401446616174_n.png

Altitude's always been his biggest issue. If he sees that to an end...

PS: the cheesy captions are his own doing.

Was going to post this myself.

The guy pretty much lives in Sierra Nevada this days. Last year he did at least 2 altitude camps there. One from the day after Romandie ended until 2 days before Suisse started and then he had another big one from the week after the end of the Tour until a few days before plouay.

This year he was there from PN to VaPV and went back straight after Romandie and will be there again until right before Suisse.

Still no matter how much altitude training he does, i still think 5th-10th is the best he can do and looking at his performance this season, i would say closer to 10th than 5th.

Parrulo said:
Was going to post this myself.

The guy pretty much lives in Sierra Nevada this days. Last he did at least 2 altitude camps there. One from the day after Romandie ended until 2 days before Suisse started and then he had another big one from the week after the end of the Tour until a few days before plouay.

This year he was there from PN to VaPV and went back straight after Romandie and will be there again until right before Suisse.

Still no matter how much altitude training he does, i still think 5th-10th is the best he can do and looking at his performance this season, i would say closer to 10th than 5th.

I read somewhere, cannot remember where, that after Suisse the Tour team will meet there as well.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
How many mountain passes in Tour will be more than 2000 altitude this year?
I dont think too many:eek:

I support Costa (despite the ad:D) cuz I like people who set high goals:)

Vino attacks everyone said:
Ruis Merida commercial will be a timeless classic. So I'll support him for a tour top 5 mission. Beacause his Merida bike got extra stiffness :D

:D:D C'mon, the ad is cool. :p

It certainly is an improvement. The team decided to invest on aerodynamics more as they think that it is the key to win. They managed to create a more aerodynamic bike (ReactoEVO) maintaining almost the same weight as the lighter climbing bike (Scultura). So no scultura at all, only the ugly ReactoEVO.

(let it be clear to those who do not know, that is not his voice in the commercial)

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
BigMac said:
See there ILC, we have at least one thing in common. :D I'm glad that you support Rui.
Wow yeah ,and I like you call me ILC,its sounds like a acronym of some rappers from ninetees lol:D
Vino attacks everyone said:
Ruis Merida commercial will be a timeless classic. So I'll support him for a tour top 5 mission. Beacause his Merida bike got extra stiffness :D

Its a instant classic,thats sure.More stifness my ohh my:D

Do you have an answer to my earlier question,Im too lazy to search it as Im still focused on Giro :p:-D

TRENDING THREADS