• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rui Costa Discussion Thread

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Right, if I do remember correctly, he has spoken of wishing to become a GC rider... eventually. I'm all for it, honestly, as I quite dislike one trick ponies.

Just not if it's to turn yet another medal-holding young talent into a perennial domestique...

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
10353109_756007017783784_801949634237430384_n.jpg

Awesome pic.:cool:

This was the ride they did today http://www.strava.com/activities/148965890

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I remeber reading (not really sure where) that Lampre was trying to sign a new contract with Costa.

I really hope he doesn't sign with Lampre, I would love for him to go to OGE, they don't have a strong GC rider and they seem to really get the best out of their riders unlike Lampre.

Plus I think OGE could put toghether a really good suport team for him at the Tour if they wanted to.

Also wouldn't mind if he went to Trek, but I think OGE would be a better choice.

Anyone has an opinion on this? Should he stay with Lampre or not? And if not which team would you think would suit him better?

Somar13 said:
I remeber reading (not really sure where) that Lampre was trying to sign a new contract with Costa.

I really hope he doesn't sign with Lampre, I would love for him to go to OGE, they don't have a strong GC rider and they seem to really get the best out of their riders unlike Lampre.

Plus I think OGE could put toghether a really good suport team for him at the Tour if they wanted to.

Also wouldn't mind if he went to Trek, but I think OGE would be a better choice.

Anyone has an opinion on this? Should he stay with Lampre or not? And if not which team would you think would suit him better?

Why would he leave Lampre? he got reasonably good support, and he is a undisputed leader in the races he wants to race. In Orica there will allways be some aussie like Gerrans in the ardennes that will get priority + Orica got the Yates bros that will dominate in a couple of years :p

Don't see what trek brings to the table that Lampre does not.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
He is yet to race the main target of the season, the Tour. So I think we'll need to see how Lampre supports him there before thinking about if he should leave for another team.

So far his season with them has gone decent enough, with podiums in Algarve, PN, and Romandie. Although Ardennes were kind of a bust.

Good time trial by him today. He was flying on the second part and if the wrong gears thing is true he could have done even better.

Bodes well for the itt of the Tour which seems pretty hilly like this one, except much longer.

Also seems to have another TdS in the bad :eek:

May 19, 2011
Visit site
haha looks like my man is going to win another ToS. Guess he is ready for the Tour. LOL Top 5? Podium? Maybe my major two cards can take one and two:D

Vino attacks everyone said:
aye. Costa will be Horners Porte/Kreuziger this July. To bad for Costa really, but working for Horner looks to be his mission for the next 2-3 years

Agree. Horner will destroy the field in Slovenia tomorrow and show once again why he is the 2nd best climber in the World. Just minutes after Andy (the best climber on the planet) will take a solo win on Verbier of course.

Third Swiss in the bag but he didn't look nowhere near as impressive as he did last year. Not even close.

Either he came to swiss with less form than last year in order to peak during the Tour or he simply isn't at the same level as he was last year now that he has left Movistar.

Hopefully it's the first option :eek:

I have a dream that Horner's in yellow and Rui Costa in the breakaway. J-Rod attacks out of the lead group and Nibali and Valverde claw up to him. Those three pass the breakaway but Costa follows their wheels. Nibali and Valverde are vying for the podium, and J-Rod going for the stage. :eek: :p

We will have to wait for his diary to see what exactly happened but this is really terrible.

I already said it after swiss, he is much weaker than last year. Particularly on the high mountains. Which is expectable when you trade Abarca for freaking Lampre :eek:

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
He should just try to get in a lucky break perhaps. Like Rolland and Ryder did at the Giro and see if he can get in the top 10 that way.

I have a feeling a lot of the teams that have a rider in the top 10 will ride to keep that top 10 though.

TRENDING THREADS