• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rui Costa Discussion Thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Given the form he's in maybe he can take the Portuguese TT jersey for real this time.

Hopefully they insist on the white outfit with the bands, because it would look so much less crappy than the normal Movistar bands, hopefully TT jerseys get a bit different treatment.

Something like the temporary one he had at Caisse d'Epargne until the win was taken away from him:

rui-costa-a-ete-controle-positif-sur-le-tour-du-portugal.jpg

Libertine Seguros said:
Given the form he's in maybe he can take the Portuguese TT jersey for real this time.

Hopefully they insist on the white outfit with the bands, because it would look so much less crappy than the normal Movistar bands, hopefully TT jerseys get a bit different treatment.

Something like the temporary one he had at Caisse d'Epargne until the win was taken away from him:

rui-costa-a-ete-controle-positif-sur-le-tour-du-portugal.jpg

I hope he can win that would be awesome. Do you know when the Portuguese nationals take place?

Championships start on Thursday, finish on Sunday.

The elite ITT is a 34km, pan-flat out-and-back on Friday; the road race is on Sunday and is circuits of an equally pan-flat 12,2km circuit.

Hard to expect any more of a parcours around Pataias, though they are going into Vale de Paredes to provide at least SOME attempt at selectivity. Sérgio Ribeiro will win, probably.

Libertine Seguros said:

The elite ITT is a 34km, pan-flat out-and-back on Friday; the road race is on Sunday and is circuits of an equally pan-flat 12,2km circuit.

Hard to expect any more of a parcours around Pataias, though they are going into Vale de Paredes to provide at least SOME attempt at selectivity. Sérgio Ribeiro will win, probably.
Is it the same parcours as last year? I think that last year (or maybe 2 years ago) João Cabreira won on that course, so there is some hope that it won't go for a sprint. I would like Rui to win but he'll be isolated. Radioshack should send the entire team: Oliveira looked decent this week, Paulinho finished Suisse and Machado is always decent. I hope all the foreigners ride it this year.

trevim said:
Is it the same parcours as last year? I think that last year (or maybe 2 years ago) João Cabreira won on that course, so there is some hope that it won't go for a sprint. I would like Rui to win but he'll be isolated. Radioshack should send the entire team: Oliveira looked decent this week, Paulinho finished Suisse and Machado is always decent. I hope all the foreigners ride it this year.

Paulinho is no Radioshack :)

trevim said:

It looks to be the same as last year, Cabreira and Mario Costa had a two-up sprint a few seconds ahead of the bunch.

As for the "foreigners" (i.e. Portuguese racing on non-Portuguese teams), there's:

Joni Brandão (Burgos) - I have hopes for him, decent prospect.
Hernâni Broco (Caja Rural)
André Cardoso (Caja Rural)
Manuel Cardoso (Caja Rural)
Fernando Carvalho (Gios-Deyser)
Rui Costa (Movistar)
Tiago Machado (Radioshack)
Nelson Oliveira (Radioshack)
Sérgio Paulinho (Saxo Bank)
Bruno Pires (Saxo Bank)
Bruno Saraiva (Team Differdange)
Fabio Silvestre (Leopard Trek Continental)

I'm also changing my mind a bit and suggesting maybe Filipe Cardoso for the nationals. I'm kind of torn on what I want; I'd love to see the Portuguese jersey in the pro péloton, but at the same time it's a big deal for the national teams, so would be good for them to keep it.

I would prefer a foreigner to take it. Otherwise the jersey would only be visible in the Volta. I hope that the local teams don't have a lot of power otherwise this could turn into Sérgio "the new Cândido" Ribeiro vs Samuel Caldeira vs Filipe Cardoso on the sprint.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:

Olivera? He has a pretty good TT in him, plus he is young, and the youngsters usually seem to try harder at some Nats

Parrulo said:
wdiag.jpg

even the newspaper cover, considering what he was up against, wasn't that bad.

also his site has been down because too many people have tried to go there and crashed it!!!!

That's actually extremely good I'd say, especially in a country like Portugal where cycling has taken big hits in recent years. And that in A Bola, nice to see :cool:

i was going to wait for his performance on wednesday to bump this thread but since it has already been done . . . . .

he said he was sick after the TdS and wasn't feeling great at the start of the tourn mostly after his crash on stage 1, but now he says he is feeling better and better as the race progresses and since piti has lost too much time he will be riding for himself from now on. he actually waited for piti on saturday so ended up losing a bit more time then he should have, but that climb suited him unlike the high mountains.

still i wonder how far can he go

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
A top 10 surely is within his grasp, with his TT and Valverde's assistance even more, the time gaps up until now are irrelevant if riders dont climb well in the high mountains proper and that will surely assist Costa's GC ambitions.

so now that the tour is over i would like the bump this thread once again.

Costa still finished 18th on GC despite only caring about stage wins ever since the first "real" mountain stage of the tour to la toussine.

he was on the break on the last 2 mountain stages so he clearly has the recovery, but just like he has always done, he still struggles on the real climbs losing too much time.

imo he should focus on the classics and 1 week races for now and if he really wants to, try to see what he can do on a GT in a couple years when he is more mature and his abilities are closer to their best.

I think he has good recovery but he should go either one way or the other.

1st Option. Go for stage wins at GT's one week races and classics.

2nd Option. Abandon the 1st option and try become a GC rider. That for the moment would however be a bad view in my mind as he can still achieve good results in other races.

If he does try a GT for GC soon i think it should be the Vuelta ( even though Movistar have Valverde and Cobo for that and in the future Madrazo and Quintana ), because with one climb he can conserve energy then give his all/ have a good ITT over some other contenders.

For the rest of the year i can foresee him getting a good result at the WC- best of luck.

TRENDING THREADS