• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rund um den Finanzplatz Eschborn-Frankfurt 01/05 (1.HC)

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Lupetto said:
German commentators sucked like always. They were talking for hours about Moser not beeing a factor in this race. :rolleyes:

5 hours of live-coverage but not one single picture or word of the winner - instead they did a highlight show, interviews with Greipel, Martin and Degenkolb and showed pictures of Greipel being honored for 3rd place. This is propably the most disrespectuful way of treating a winner of a bike race I have seen for a while.

search said:
5 hours of live-coverage but not one single picture or word of the winner - instead they did a highlight show, interviews with Greipel, Martin and Degenkolb and showed pictures of Greipel being honored for 3rd place. This is propably the most disrespectuful way of treating a winner of a bike race I have seen for a while.

Typical German Sports Coverage.

In Germany you can also watch hours of bobsleigh, luge and skeleton which is insanely boring but usually a german wins, so they show it.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Too bad Spilak isn't doing the Giro, he could probably do well there. He's looking in great form.
Good to see Moser is finally finding his way again too.

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
search said:

They have two problems:

First, they only want to speak about Germans. They want a German winner, a German podium. Other nationalities don´t count.

Second, cycling for them is Frankfurt, Tour de France and Vattenfall. The only thing they mentioned about Spilak is something from 2004. Not a word about his last weeks, about Indurain, Pais Vasco, his great Romandie. That´s sad.

RHRH19861986 said:
They have two problems:

First, they only want to speak about Germans. They want a German winner, a German podium. Other nationalities don´t count.

Second, cycling for them is Frankfurt, Tour de France and Vattenfall. The only thing they mentioned about Spilak is something from 2004. Not a word about his last weeks, about Indurain, Pais Vasco, his great Romandie. That´s sad.

Well, we had this beatiful little Tour once upon a time. It had a nice liitle parcours, a lot of history and once for some guys it was even some sort of grand tour.

I still hope to see the Friedensfahrt back one time. Find a nice spot in the calendar for the race, add a nice parcours with not to many tt meters, but some gifty, hilly climbs where guys like Spilak, Gilbert, Visconti, Wegmann could make the difference, visit towns like Praha, Dresden, Hamburg, Warsaw, Preßburg, Danzig, Königsberg as well as the Erzgebirge, Böhmen, Zakopane and you might have a nice 12 day race or something like that.

There should be still many Easteuropean riders as well as Germans out there who would be keen to win a Friedensfahrt. Give also a chance to puncheurs and you should get nice racing which won't be worste than Paris-Nice for example.

Won't ever happen. It's history :/

Great finish. Any one-day race where you can't tell even with a kilometre to go whether or not Pozzovivo will be able to finish ahead of Greipel has got the parcours right, because literally any rider can compete (honorable exception: Andrea Guardini) from the most powerful of sprinters to the most featherweight of climbers. With the possible exception of the 2011 edition, where the Feldberg was neutered due to weather damaging the roads and there were more final laps so the Mammolshain was further from the finish and a large group came to the end together, this race always seems to provide an exciting conclusion. The addition of the extra loop of Mammolshain making it two in a row before the flat run-in has certainly had a positive effect, as it's given more incentive to attackers and puts the sprinters' teams more off their game, but still not enough to prevent them from still having a chance.

staubsauger said:
Well, we had this beatiful little Tour once upon a time. It had a nice liitle parcours, a lot of history and once for some guys it was even some sort of grand tour.

I still hope to see the Friedensfahrt back one time. Find a nice spot in the calendar for the race, add a nice parcours with not to many tt meters, but some gifty, hilly climbs where guys like Spilak, Gilbert, Visconti, Wegmann could make the difference, visit towns like Praha, Dresden, Hamburg, Warsaw, Preßburg, Danzig, Königsberg as well as the Erzgebirge, Böhmen, Zakopane and you might have a nice 12 day race or something like that.

There should be still many Easteuropean riders as well as Germans out there who would be keen to win a Friedensfahrt. Give also a chance to puncheurs and you should get nice racing which won't be worste than Paris-Nice for example.

Greipel talked about how him and his friends as children used to ride their bikes and dream they were in the Friedensfahrt. It could still be a great race. They have it as an U23 race now but only in the Czech Republic; I'd be tempted to make it a Girobio/L'Avenir type race over Volta a Portugal length. A lot of the difficulty could well have been neutered by the tarmacking over of much of the old Plattenwege and Kopfsteinstraßen, but certainly I dream of seeing Meerane and the Teufelstein back in top level racing (the Sachsentour seems to at least attempt a comeback every season only to run out of money and do the 'try again next year' approach), while other climbs like Klinovec are still available, and we used to see Karpacz fairly regularly in the Tour de Pologne (wish we still did). I guess issues are that it needs 3 country cooperation (at least, with many classic mountains it could use being in Slovakia), and as long as the Czechs continue to hold the rights to the name "Peace Race" they'll want the important parts and the finish to be on their turf, which limits the route opportunities a bit I guess.

Top bad I missed it. Two of my favorite riderstake the first two spots on the podium. I just wish Moreno could win it but it's nice to see him finally delivering some result anyway. Glad for Pozzo as well, Ag2r will be strong on the mountains with him and Betancur.

Must 've been an exciting race.

Pro Tip #25539 - When leading out a two man sprint, remember to take a long look at the chasing group 200m before the finish line.

RigobertoMoser_zps6f68fb1c.png

London2012_zpsca475380.png

staubsauger said:

Yes. Well remembered - with some nostalgia. It was always nice to beat "Soviets" in some sport event. And this "Piece Race" was really popular in our countries. Some great names were riding that time: Ludwig, Ampler, Piasecki (my favorite one), sprinters : Svorada, Abduzaparov.

I am sure former ”east bloc countries" deserves one big race that could be part of UCI WT. It is pity that Tour de Polonia has to go the direction it is going right now to become more popular and attract better names (Italian stages).

SKSemtex said:
Yes. Well remembered - with some nostalgia. It was always nice to beat "Soviets" in some sport event. And this "Piece Race" was really popular in our countries. Some great names were riding that time: Ludwig, Ampler, Piasecki (my favorite one), sprinters : Svorada, Abduzaparov.

I am sure former ”east bloc countries" deserves one big race that could be part of UCI WT. It is pity that Tour de Polonia has to go the direction it is going right now to become more popular and attract better names (Italian stages).

Sukhoruchenkov was the man for the time. Probably the best climber the Ostbloc ever produced. Also Radomir Šimunek Sr. and Roman Kreuziger Sr. around that time. And even Indurain rode in one of the editions ('85?), of course.