• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ruta del Sol 2017

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I've got a feeling Pinot could do something here. i actually saw him and FDJ out riding on their training camp last month and looked up a few of his rides on Strava after it and he was really flying, particularly over the hills of 300-400m altitude, which suggests that's he's got decent shape. Valverde's obviously on form as well and Contador is the best stage racer here, but I think Pinot can stay with them (going uphill at least!).

Re:

DFA123 said:
I've got a feeling Pinot could do something here. i actually saw him and FDJ out riding on their training camp last month and looked up a few of his rides on Strava after it and he was really flying, particularly over the hills of 300-400m altitude, which suggests that's he's got decent shape. Valverde's obviously on form as well and Contador is the best stage racer here, but I think Pinot can stay with them (going uphill at least!).
Needless to say, I hope that you're right ;) . After today's triumph of PSG, he'll be pumped up. Like Algarve last year, I see this as his first test. A podium (and the ITT?) would be great. I pick Bala with a slight edge over Bertie, who I think will be far from his best and may be getting off a slow start like in Algarve last year. And with this course (I really don't like the design), after Stage 3, it's over for the GC.