• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ryder Hesjedal - Canadian Athlete of the year

Or more accurately...

"Ryder Hesjedal wins the Lional Conacher award as Canadian male althete of the year."

National Post

TORONTO — Don’t tell Ryder Hesjedal he won the Giro d’Italia on the last day.

His victorious ride lasted 91 hours 39 minutes two seconds over 21 stages, covering 3,503.8 kilometres from Herning, Denmark, to Milan.

It took 23 days in May — there were two rest days — and the help of every one of his Garmin-Sharp teammates and support staff for Hesjedal to become the first Canadian racer to win a Grand Tour event and only the second non-European to win the Giro.

His journey from peloton to podium took him more than a dozen years as a pro, from mountain biker to road racer.....

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Great news are there pictures of him receiving the trophy?

The results of the poll were announced on Boxing Day. I don't think there's a formal awards ceremony, but maybe there will be a press conference in the new year.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
It is a huge tribute to Ryder and about time a cyclist got some recognition as an athlete from mainstream sports writers. Even as great and deserving as Ryder is in receiving the award the fact that a Tennis player with his win / loss record, came second is still an indication that cycling is a low profile sport to Canadian sports writers and in the media guys Like Michael Enwright editorialize that cycling is not even a sport.
Ryder is very deserving of the award and even though the award should have gone to Steve Bauer as the first I am more than happy Ryder was first.
In the women's choice Christine Sinclair wiped out second place which was no surprise. Given the magnitude of Ryders win I thoght the votes were too close for the men. Still a long way to go.
Congrats Ryder. You Earned it!

oldcrank said:
I see Ben Johnson has won it twice and figure skaters have
won it three times, but congratulations anyway, mate.

Jeesh, even a...a... golfer won it a few times!

That said -

Overall, hockey players have finished at the top of the annual polls the most times at 25. Track and field is second with 13 winners and football third with 10.
~Wikipedia~

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Good for Ryder. I wondered if they were going to forget about a guy who's major accomplishment was back in May. Raonic had a hell of a year, but Ryder was the obvious choice.

Didn't realize what a legend Lionel Conacher was. A champion in pro football and pro hockey, played semi-pro baseball, a member of the Hockey, Lacrosse, and Football Halls of Fame, sat in the provincial and federal parliaments... Jesus, there's a resume a guy could be proud of.

TRENDING THREADS