Ryder Hesjedal Discussion Thread

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yes there has to be a health issue of some sort and even if there isn't a lot of the comments here are, well, distasteful...but hey, there's nothing like kicking a man when he's down behind your screen when you're a looser yourself in real life I guess!
 
masking_agent said:
I think we are witnessing a one hit wonder who's had his one hit last year and will now sink into cycling's oblivion of "also rans." I don't see him winning another grand tour ever again, maybe a podium in future grand tours.
That's over the top. Anybody who's won a Giro - against a guy like Purito - deserves respect. Plus he'd shown GC ability before last years break through. He's obviously sick now.
 
May 12, 2013
78
0
0
Cookster15 said:
That's over the top. Anybody who's won a Giro - against a guy like Purito - deserves respect. Plus he'd shown GC ability before last years break through. He's obviously sick now.
not to mention how strongly he was riding at Liege... its not the same, but you don't loose form like that as quickly as the last few stages would suggest he has done.
 
Jun 18, 2012
181
0
0
maxmartin said:
he sure is done after today, poor Garmin from last year glory to nothing of this year. Bike race is cruel.:) What can Garmin do now? Who can do stage hunt for Garmin? Honestly i don't think anyone in the Garmin team is in sort of decent form. The ones come back from the six months are the worst. did they not doing any training in those six months?
It is a shame. I was really looking forward to seeing Hesjedal compete against a deeper field. I don't know if he's peaked too early (he was fantastic at La Doyenne) or if he's picked up a bug. Hopefully he's just sick and he'll be able to go for a stage win. Talansky or Dekker might be able to take a shot for a stage win. Maybe Millar. He seems to have healed up from his stage 1 crash.
 
the asian said:
IMO,It has a lot do with his late season start. Hopefully he can recover and be in contention for the Tour.
with the lack of climbing domestiques for Garmin, I don't see this happening either. Garmin is simply too weak of a team, to form the mountain train like the other big teams.. Add Froome and Contador into the mix.. highly unlikely
 
May 19, 2011
4,857
1
0
Viking said:
It is a shame. I was really looking forward to seeing Hesjedal compete against a deeper field. I don't know if he's peaked too early (he was fantastic at La Doyenne) or if he's picked up a bug. Hopefully he's just sick and he'll be able to go for a stage win. Talansky or Dekker might be able to take a shot for a stage win. Maybe Millar. He seems to have healed up from his stage 1 crash.
Talansky is not here, he is aiming for Tour.Looking back at La Doyenne, he probably was not sure about his form himself so testing legs a bit to see how he felt. And lots of people criticize that movement as a waste of energy.:(
 
Jan 27, 2010
921
0
0
At least it shows he's human?

Maybe the sinister plan is to have the best team possible for the 100th addition of the TdF, and he was paid to show up at the GIRO and politically it would look dismal if he did not show.

ancillary points:
-CVV is a non factor at GIRO and may be using it as training for TdF.
-RH is clearly not fit enough, look for him to win a stage and train for TdF.
-Garmin will try to make 'best' team roster for TdF.

?maybe, or it was a total flop.

NW
 
Mar 10, 2009
1,296
0
0
Certainly somber here in his hometown. I know we are all feeling his pain vicariously. Wouldn't it be great if he was playing possum for the tour but what I saw today doesn't make me think anything is right for him now? He finished a couple of stages last year with the same struggling look except his adversaries were with or behind him and not 20 minutes in front.
I hope they can figure it out and do something about it before the Tour starts.
 
Pippo_San said:
He was a total fluke in 2012. That's all.
Giro '12 was not his first good showing in a grand tour. The ability had been demonstrated, but everything fell into place last year. He may never win another one, but I think we can expect future top placings in grand tours from him.

I think something has gone quite wrong, maybe a virus, as others have speculated. He had been riding too well to suddenly collapse like he has done.
 
Jun 18, 2012
181
0
0
maxmartin said:
Talansky is not here, he is aiming for Tour.Looking back at La Doyenne, he probably was not sure about his form himself so testing legs a bit to see how he felt. And lots of people criticize that movement as a waste of energy.:(
Ah, right. Apparently I confuse Talansky with Stetina. I might need my head examined.

I definitely didn't see Ryder's work in LBL as a waste of energy. One hard day 2 weeks before the Giro's start shouldn't have hurt his prep. Besides, it was one of the best races of the year, so far :cool:
 
Feb 5, 2012
424
0
0
Peaked to early plus sick is my guess. He was super strong in LBL as well as the first few days of the Giro, he probably just peaked too early. He just "fell of the cliff."
 
May 19, 2011
4,857
1
0
Viking said:
Ah, right. Apparently I confuse Talansky with Stetina. I might need my head examined.

I definitely didn't see Ryder's work in LBL as a waste of energy. One hard day 2 weeks before the Giro's start shouldn't have hurt his prep. Besides, it was one of the best races of the year, so far :cool:
Sorry I didn't mean LBL, I mean on stage 3 or 4 he attacked downhill, caught everyone by surprise. Stetina was pretty impressive last year, but not so much so far. Hope he can get into breakaway to salvage something for Garmin.
 
Unkown said:
Peaked to early plus sick is my guess. He was super strong in LBL as well as the first few days of the Giro, he probably just peaked too early. He just "fell of the cliff."
Jonathan Vaughters ‏@Vaughters
Am I bummed? Sure. But, as I've said before, these guys aren't machines. Sometimes the body is great, sometimes not.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY