• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ryder Hesjedal Discussion Thread

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Taxus4a said:
the delgados said:
So Ryder says he's not interested in moving up a couple places in the GC, yet yesterday he burned a few matches to bridge up to Contador to gain a couple places in the GC. I know TV time is important, especially when you're pacing the race leader to the line, but c'mon.
He should have stayed with the Aru group yesterday and daydreamed the whole way home about a stage win today.

He is not in the Giro, he is in his own race, something we cant maybe understand.

Please, do tell. What race is he in?

Re:

ray j willings said:
Ryder going again today ,Awesome stuff. How the Fu$$ does he lose so much time.
Perhaps he should start riding a week before everyone else in order to peak at the right time.
I think his time loss was mostly down to the TTT and to poor positioning and inattentiveness, rather than terrible form. He does always perform better at the end of a GT than at the beginning; I think recovery is his greatest strength. Given that strength, it is probably better that he doesn't try to come into a GT too sharp. He did that in Giro 2013, and ended up just getting sick at the end of the first week.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

shalgo said:
ray j willings said:
Ryder going again today ,Awesome stuff. How the Fu$$ does he lose so much time.
Perhaps he should start riding a week before everyone else in order to peak at the right time.
I think his time loss was mostly down to the TTT and to poor positioning and inattentiveness, rather than terrible form. He does always perform better at the end of a GT than at the beginning; I think recovery is his greatest strength. Given that strength, it is probably better that he doesn't try to come into a GT too sharp. He did that in Giro 2013, and ended up just getting sick at the end of the first week.
In my opinion he was too thin at the start of that Giro, only 68kg .

Yesterday, when Hesjedal was creeping up the mountain after Contador, the image of him, with his glasses, beard, and gangly limbs, reminded me of something, but I couldn't place it. Now I remember:

Kamaji_spiritedkamaji.jpg

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

shalgo said:
Yesterday, when Hesjedal was creeping up the mountain after Contador, the image of him, with his glasses, beard, and gangly limbs, reminded me of something, but I couldn't place it. Now I remember:

Glad I'm not the only one

Anderis said:
movingtarget said:
He has been unlucky not to get a stage win. Not through lack of trying.
It's interesting that he can never win a stage during the Giro, but he has 2 stage wins at Vuelta, where he never was really that strong (and has less appearances there if I'm not mistaken, certainly less in recent years).

This is certainly his best performance in a GT since he won the 2012 Giro. He could have ridden conservatively for a top 10 but he has been aggressive throughout and constantly looked for a stage win.

SeriousSam said:
shalgo said:

Glad I'm not the only one

Ha! Nice. i like Ryder, but man oh man, his riding style is terrible. His bike is so small it looks like it's borrowed, and the guy always looks like he's about to crack.
Nice to see him drop Contador today, though.

IndianCyclist said:
Carols said:
Ryder Rocks.....all that effort paid off with a 5th on GC. That placement looked totally out of the question a week ago, so Kudos sir. Darned it would have been nice if he'd managed a stage win.
would have nicer if he had properly prepared for the 1st week

Yeah well crap happens and he made the most he could from lemons. Battled on like a Trojan instead of packing it up!

May 26, 2015
Visit site
I would say he was prepared fitness wyse just not prepared for the hecktick pase that was set in those initial stages. However as everyone melted around him he got better and better. He made most stages much more interesting to watch.

Has anyone heard any rumors on his contract for next year?

Hesjedal was 6:49 down in 22nd after 8 stages, and yet ends up in fifth overall despite never being allowed to gain serious time from a lucky breakaway. What a comeback!

Particularly considering the fact that so many on this forum called him "delusional" for thinking he could challenge for the podium.

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Hesjedal said in an interview that he is also aiming for the Tour de France this year and he believes he can keep the shape he has in this Giro. Which strategy do you think the Garmin-Canondale will adopt toward the leadership role between him, Talansky and Martin. I think Hesjedal can do a top5 in this year's Tour. This GT suits him better than the Giro in my opinion. They also have that cobbles stage and it seems that Hesjedal is really good in this type of terrain( remember Tour 2010 where he attacked in the cobbles section and finished at the end with the best in that stage).

Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
Well, I'm glad to admit that I severely underrated him. He was a true boss this Giro and he rode his heart out. Too bad he didn't got a stage victory, that would have been very well deserved.

Along with Landa and Amador he was one of the revelations of the race. I thought his best days were over. This is the best he has looked for a long time. Maybe he won't podium a GT anymore but he is still a very good GT rider.

movingtarget said:
Hugo Koblet said:
Well, I'm glad to admit that I severely underrated him. He was a true boss this Giro and he rode his heart out. Too bad he didn't got a stage victory, that would have been very well deserved.

Along with Landa and Amador he was one of the revelations of the race. I thought his best days were over. This is the best he has looked for a long time. Maybe he won't podium a GT anymore but he is still a very good GT rider.

I get what you mean, but to call a past winner a revelation is still a bit strange :)
Btw, I always think he's so conscious about being an odd gt winner, it plays part in him being more and more aggressive, even in one day race. The problem is that he might never race a field weak enough to win big with that style and with his current reputation and ability, it doesn't seem fair now, but consider it's been pre-paid with his one GT.

movingtarget said:
Hugo Koblet said:

He should regroup and target the Vuelta. If he can bring a strong team he should have a good chance of winning or make the podium.

Re:

NatB said:
I would say he was prepared fitness wyse just not prepared for the hecktick pase that was set in those initial stages. However as everyone melted around him he got better and better. He made most stages much more interesting to watch.

Has anyone heard any rumors on his contract for next year?

RE his 2016 team: didn't he just extend through '18?

I'm a Ryder unfan, but I like the way he raced this Giro.

TRENDING THREADS