• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ryder Hesjedal

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Will he finish in the podium?

• Is this another lame poll thread?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Pentacycle said:
He's a terrific rider for multi-mountain stages, but he might be too much of a diesel to close the gap to the podium.
It's interesting that he rides like a diesel recently, because he has plenty of good places in dynamic, punchy races like AGR or those Canadian classics. He is also a quickish guy on a flat sprint as for climber.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Anderis said:
It's interesting that he rides like a diesel recently, because he has plenty of good places in dynamic, punchy races like AGR or those Canadian classics. He is also a quickish guy on a flat sprint as for climber.

He as always been a diesel in the mountains.

The Hitch said:
tumblr_n5fecyFP4k1runifxo4_250.gif

You and that cute cat look surprised. :p:p

You know... I have this feeling for anglos. :D

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Yesterday I thought he might make top 10 but now I would not bet he cannot make the podium. that TTT and the other big delay where Evans took the lead certainly changed his chances at the podium but today opened the door to a possible podium.
I have Quintanna for the win.

benpounder said:
However with only 55sec separating third and ninth, there should be some interesting dynamics; all will want to move up which will make it much more difficult for both Quintana and Uran to mark and Movistar/OPQS to control.
Well, with only 55sec separating third and ninth, and pretty much everyone else, maybe apart from Kiserlovski, without any hope of jumping into top5 GC after a brave, long-range attack, it should be actually quite easy to Movistar/QPQS to control. Because if you're only a couple of dozens of seconds from third, you won't try anything too risky. You'll rather hope you'll be stronger than others on some MTF and make all the gain needed on several last kilometers of the last climb. And team can do little to control such attacks. Leaders need to defend themselves alone in such situations.

And with Quintana being THAT strong, having strong team and with that little gaps between 3rd and 9th, I doubt anyone will try desperate attack on a race lead, taking a risk that may compromise his podium chance.

About MTT, I'm slightly worried about Hesjedal's performance. He seems to do better following somebody's wheel. And he did quite badly on that first, hilly TT. I would be positively surprised if he ends up in the top5 on that stage.

Anderis said:
About MTT, I'm slightly worried about Hesjedal's performance. He seems to do better following somebody's wheel. And he did quite badly on that first, hilly TT. I would be positively surprised if he ends up in the top5 on that stage.

Bingo.

He may be only 55 seconds out but he needs more because of the losses on the MTT.

Unless the third week affects riders like it used to Pre-1991.

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Even without the bike change he was already going slower than the entire top 10 of the GC bar Kiserlovski at the 1st mountain check (when he was already passed by pozzo i think?)
He changed his bike in the steeper section on the climb, so it wasn't easy to refind his pace. Anyway, it's not a TT that give him advantage( he is a tall rider) compared to pure climbers. Do you guys think he will do the Tour or Vuelta? I would like that he go to the Vuelta( i just saw the profiles and the course suits him really well).

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I will watch the coverage later but from the press he had a crap day. Even for a climber a MTT needs specific training and I really don't think Ryder was properly prepared if his just give it everything preview was all he did to prepare. I was really thrilled at his rise up the GC and the last 2 mountain stages but I also don't think he was totally prepared for this race? Given where he has been riding I think he might have chased a rabbit and lost less time but he needs to improve his solo efforts? Aside from misfortune I think he has had 2 bad TTs in this race. I also don't think he is in top form either. I wonder of he goes to the tour? pretty hard to recover and get up the GC too.
So I hope he gets in a break or something fun but I think he has done very well overall to make top 10. Just wish he held on to the 7th at least.

Master50 said:
snipped..

So I hope he gets in a break or something fun but I think he has done very well overall to make top 10. Just wish he held on to the 7th at least.

Hesjedal and Evans should have ago on the last steep part of Sella Razzo, Rolland will likely join them. Bad weather could help them gain some time on the descent and create some panic perhaps. Who knows what the outcome will be.

If they just wait until Zoncolan, dwarfs will pop out of the woodwork and these three guys will have to enter defense mode.

Dazed and Confused said:
Hesjedal and Evans should have ago on the last steep part of Sella Razzo, Rolland will likely join them. Bad weather could help them gain some time on the descent and create some panic perhaps. Who knows what the outcome will be.

If they just wait until Zoncolan, dwarfs will pop out of the woodwork and these three guys will have to enter defense mode.

The vertically challenged are too good. That much is clear. Next time they meet the stick insect from Kenya it will make interesting viewing. Poor old Ryder has had no luck in this race which is a shame after his Giro debacle last year. This year he actually had some form.