• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Saddle length

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Have been experimenting with a few saddles recently and was noting how saddle length is often mentioned, especially in regards to the fizik line. While trying to swap saddles and keep the position close, I did a few different measurements.

What I noticed is that while the Arione is listed as being about 25 mm longer than the Antares, I noticed that the distance from the widest part of the saddle to the tip of the nose is a difference of only 4mm between the two saddles. The Arione makes up the rest of the difference by having a longer "tail".

Who rides on the tail? Do any of you ever slide back past the widest part of the saddle on a road bike? Shouldn't the "effective" length of a saddle really be from the widest point to the nose?

Thoughts?

Changing where you are seated on the saddle over long distances can help you stay comfortable, and can help you incorporate different muscles to lessen fatigue. I haven't ridden on the Arione, just the Antares, but I think that may be a reason. Or this could be purely for the aesthetic.

TRENDING THREADS