• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Saddle Sores

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
Another forum kicked up about endurance has prompted my own feelings about another type of endurance...that of the old durf turf!

I go thru some point every year where I get a bad one (or more) and needless to say it puts a real damper on riding. I recently started a new job thats a bit closer to me, so now I'm riding my track bike to work (while still doing my morning road bike miles) but I had to back off for about a week as I pushed it bit too far and had some ripe rasberries come up!

Of course the 2 bikes are different and the fit is as well so that could be to blame. Not to mention 2 sessions of riding somedays and jeans instead of shorts on the fixie.

Anybody have the same experience with riding different bikes on the regular...any solutions?

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
Hehe...sorry about that!:p

And I forgot to add the reason I up and put this in the Pro Road forum was that I know H. Haussler complained of soreness for a few days early in the tour (then went on to a splendid solo stage win). I know Oscar Friere suffers from this pretty regularly as I'm sure do others.

How do the pros save there own *sses!

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Vaseline does the trick. I get them sometimes but mostly when I run. I get them when my inner thighs rub together or its from my thighs rubbing on my underwear. I havent figured out which one it is. Once I put gobs of vaseline on the sore its like it isnt even there.

Using different models of bibs usually works for me. Any one model might chafe a little in some spot. If you always wear the same model then the chafing is always in the same area. Cycle through several different models, and the areas that chafe move around..

I would not use vasoline. That is nasty. Use something like Assos saddle cream, Chamois Butt'r, Bag Balm, etc.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Bruce_Willis_97 said:
Of course the 2 bikes are different and the fit is as well so that could be to blame. Not to mention 2 sessions of riding somedays and jeans instead of shorts on the fixie.

I switch between road bike/fixie/rigid mtn/dual susp mtn all the time without problems, and each has a different type of saddle, so unless some people are just prone to sores it might be the jeans. Good luck with the vaseline and make sure your doc post-dates a prescription a la 1999.

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
Yeah my MTB seems to give me the least problems but then I'm not on it as often as the other 2.

Anybody ever feel like its different if you're fluxing in weight?

Say 5-8 lbs?

I change weight pretty frequently throughout a month. I play hockey 1 to 2x a week and ride 3 to 4. But if I have an off week where I may have kept a few lbs on, I feel like its transfers to my midsection and right onto the seat.

Am I crazy to think thats a noticable weight shift that could affect saddle feeling?

pedaling squares said:
Dude, if you play hockey 1-2 x per week and ride 3-4 x and STILL can put on 5-8 lbs in an off week..... we gotta talk diet!!!

Easy, easy--don't come between a man & his beer!

But, yeah: saddle sores. About two years ago I started getting one occasionally (was worried at first I'd have to explain some incriminating STD to the misses). I don't know why, but it really makes me rage. My treatment regimen is to take two or three days off and then ride the little b@stard into submission! :mad:

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
i have had saddle sore and chafing to the point of being forced off the bike for days on an occasion or two. the best creams imo are assos dznuts bagbalm and for very long hot rides an addition of a petroleum based product as sweat cannot rinse it away.

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
Dude, if you play hockey 1-2 x per week and ride 3-4 x and STILL can put on 5-8 lbs in an off week..... we gotta talk diet!!!

Yeah I got a passion for the pale ale, and I am however trying to cut back on the bad calories for bit.:p

I have been in good form only twice this year so far for timetrials.

The rest has been slacky, new job, new home yada, yada...

Thanks for the kick in the pants tho;)

May 26, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Using different models of bibs usually works for me. Any one model might chafe a little in some spot. If you always wear the same model then the chafing is always in the same area. Cycle through several different models, and the areas that chafe move around..

I would not use vasoline. That is nasty. Use something like Assos saddle cream, Chamois Butt'r, Bag Balm, etc.

Listen to the man! Don't use Vaseline, it's dreadful stuff on the bum, and doesn't help in the slightest with saddle sores. It can do more harm than good.
Did I read you're wearing jeans? How far are you riding? If you're riding anything more than 15-20k then you really should be wearing proper cycling knicks - bibs as BroDeal calls them. These have proper padding, and this is where you put the cream. If you're riding every day, then you definitely need to get some knicks.
5-7 pounds in a week is a heck of a lot to be putting on. If you're a brand new bodybuilder, and you were working out hard every week, then you could put that much on in a month, but seeing as you're a cyclist, and a hockey player, you should really be dropping weight. Check your diet. It's going to be fairly nasty I think. I'm speaking from the experience of having lost 45kg (about 100 pounds) in the last two years.
Cheers.

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
5 - 7 real pounds may be stretching it on my part.

I retain and lose alot of water also

So on a day where my waking weight was 198lbs, after a ride = 195, after a couple meals and replacing water thru-out the day = 202

(I'm 6'5 btw so don't be too alarmed with those #'s)

If I have a lazy week (no skating) and eat good, I may see 208, but be back to 198 the next week

Kinda weird but thats what I see...again the water thing

And I'm only riding the fixie like 6mi to and fro work so i don't bust out the shorts for that ride. But sometimes I do wish i had em:p

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:

I use this same method, but with shorts instead of bibs. Bibs, for some reason, cause me to chafe more than shorts. I think because I can adjust my shorts more easily.

I have been riding fixed gear this summer and find that the conditions can be even more severe. I never realized how convenient it is to be able to coast on a bike. Especially for readjustment purposes.