• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Salbutamol Study

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A few years before the pollen allergy (or whatever it is) got me, I was a 506W VO2 guy. And that was not my prime day really, and a badly exucuted test (running shoes, toe slips, too short cranks, steady cadance protocol, off-season).
I encountered black snow (from oxygen deprivation) on really easy commutes which must have been around 120-150W at most. And there was no way I could breath harder than I did.
I am a decent track runner now (for a lazy ex cyclist), but recently got dropped by the entire group during the sub-3km warm up run at 11kph or so. Just couldn't do it.
People don't know how it is. And athletes are envious of those with a TUE.

That a possible higher oxygen flow to the lungs didn't help the performance in these cases aren't really surprising. Do anyone really think these athletes were out f breath much in this 10 km? Air flow is rarely the limiting factor (unless you have a asthma attack of course).

The author of the article snapped up something he found very interesting though -- That the athletes *with* asthma performed the same as well. Now I didn't read the publication, but I think it's pretty safe to say that this wasn't the point with this trial. So concluding on anything in that direction isn't very interesting. We know asthma is a real thing. We know the medicines are real. If they think a special way of warming up could help athletes who suffer from asthma, then maybe that should be their next trial.

TRENDING THREADS